sewing machine repair (Long winded)

Old October 31st 03, 04:58 AM
Christina in Ok

Default sewing machine repair (Long winded)

I called around to have a sewing machine looked at.. I think I over oiled it
or oiled it wrong, then messed it up Somehow.. ( Oh boy) leave it up to me
to mess something up!
This sewing machine is a Alco Model #2300 MIL said it was bought in the
middle 80's like 85.. but Dh said she had it before then. I myself think
its a 70s model.
Now I have been told that Alco is Nicchi (SP?)
and this type of machine had problems with the bobbin winder, ( which is the
same trouble I had) the needle would go up and down at the same time I was
winding a bobbin, so because I wish to save money, I thought I would tear
into it.. I undid a screw from the hand wheel.. and tired to work in it..
Will LOL now the needle part still goes up and down.. just a bit funny.. and
I still don't have the hand wheel and the bobbin winder working as they
should..
So If anyone could help.. let me know ( can take photos)
But I thought I would just bring it into a repair center..
LOLOL will duh me! When you don't have fabric shops or a place that sell
sewing machines.. Your not going to find Sewing machine repair centers
either..LOL

But I did find One down in Sherman TX... Then wanted 100.00 just to look at
it ( I don't think any parts are broken) So that went out the window....
hmmmm

Last Saturday when I was up in Ada, OK ( waiting on DD to finish up her ACT
test) I ran into a sew shop.. in this shop, she had a long arm sewing.. lots
of fabrics.. but where 50/50 blends. course she had to tell me to close my
mouth.. I was asking questions.. ( like I do here) but only in person I can
fire them off really fast!

Anyhow, I asked her about if she knew of anyone who fixed sewing machines.
she said she did, and gave me a number , telling me he was the person who
fixed all of Wranglers sewing machines ( before they went south of the
boarder last year)
Now he works out of his home, I gave him a call tonight.. and he will fix it
for 35.00 If parts are needed it will be more.
at that price I would like to take in my Kenmore for a work up. ( I think my
stitch length is off somewhat)
But at one at a time.. he went on to say that his son owns a stop and go..
somewhere in the same town.. as they live way out in the boonies, and to
just to drop it off there..

So should I spend the money or try to fix it here first?
I will have to wait a few weeks before I take the old sewing machine in..
but if he fixes it, I guess I will let him have my beloved Kenmore..

So first if anyone can, help me to fix the old one.... if it doesn't work I
will take it in.... Then if I get that back and all is well, I will give him
the other..

Sound like a good plan?
Or should I take it into the other shop down in Texas that they want to
charge me 100.00 for??
Is 100.00 a bit much for a fix and cleaning? It sure sounds like a rip off
to me.

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

Old October 31st 03, 11:39 AM
Kate T.

Christina:

Now don't throw a brick at me o.k. Since you are not a SM repairperson, I'd
take it to a repair shop.

The guy that repaired the SM for Wrangler sounds like your best bet. And no
it's not the money that makes me say this. I'm assuming he has a lot more
experience with repairs than most since he repaired machines on a daily
basis. I'd let him take a whack at the Alco (Necchi). Necchi made
industrial machines years ago along with home machines. He probably knows
all about them.

If he does a good job, then let him look at your Kenmore.
Good repair men are a dying breed.

Kate T.
South Mississippi
s.com...

Old October 31st 03, 01:02 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

I would try the cheap guy first....I doubt if he can damage it.....those old
babies just keep on sewing and are virtually indestructible....many times
the problems are solved by adjusting the timing...if you were in WI I would
suggest a Mennonite man nearby.....he fixes anything....the nearer guy to me
is one who says throw it out and buy new(I am on a mission to put him out of
business! A real jerk. He never even looked a tmy beloved New HOme Just
said it was junk) The Mennonite man fixed it for $35 his standard cleaning
/adjusting price. I now travel 70 miles one way either to him or the New
Home dealer in Eau Claire....thye always have time to chat and I learn
something new about my machine each time. They are lke trusted jewelers some
you would let tme put on a new watch band ONLY and the next trust him with
great grandma's diamond ring....get the analogy...these old machines are not
only SM but friends and we have emotional ties to them.
Mauvice in Central WI

Old November 1st 03, 07:25 AM
Christina in Ok

Thanks so much..
getting the photos uploaded now to the PC.. be a few until they show up here
http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

took a bit of time tonight to look, after getting it off the cabinet it was
in... and into the kitchen where I could take a better look at it... odd
thing.. get this one.. it has two short wires.. One for the light the other
for the motor!
they plug into a outlet that looks like something from the 50s... then that
plugs into the wall..
Odd!!
anyhow tonight I took the cover off.. and I do think I had oil on the belt..
cleared that off. works well.. But I think Butterfly said it was called the
flywheel that I am still having trouble with.. I took the screw out. and now
I cannot get the middle wheel off!! ( I did before)
But if the wheel is pulled out just a bit.. the foot will go up and down
for a bit, then it will stop, motor still winding up high....But I did learn
that if I push it back in, the foot works well once again...
have photos.. need to stop typing and get them uploaded... Oh when I pull
out the wheel it is only going out about 1 or 2 cm I don't think that is the
clutch for the bobbin. which I haven't checked yet.
not sure now if the book is correct.... hmm

PS I have another one.. my Kenmore that I use all of the time.. never have
sewed a stitch on this one yet..

"IMS" wrote in message
Around here, in central NY, just a cleaning/adjusting starts at $65, so
a repair would be higher. If you feel so inclined you might be able to
attempt the repair yourself. But if you don't, or if it is your only
machine and you don't want to be without it for a long period of time,
then going to a repair shop is your best course of action. Of course
sometimes even the repair shops take weeks to fix a machine. Which
place to choose? I'd ask more questions of the guy who has the SM
business on the side...I'd wonder just how good he is or if it's a
'hobby' in which case it may be a while before you get your machine
back. Ask if you can get references for work he has done for others.
If he cannot supply references for you to check, it may be worth it to
take it to the professional.

My personal experience is that I collect vintage sewing machines and
since I find them in who-knows-what kind of shape, I started doing the
repairs myself. I've gotten loads of repair help from a couple of the
groups on Yahoo, and so far I've managed to do all my own repairs with
their help. My machines all have gears or belts (no circuit boards or
computers), which make it much easier. I just finished a big (and
messy) job of disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling the cam stack
assembly on a Necchi Supernova (and yes the repair worked! I can now use
the decorative stitch cams).

I don't know anything about your particular model, but if you can access
web pages, you are invited to join the WEFIXIT group on Yahoo! We're a
bunch of "shade tree" sewing machine mechanics and it is a very helpful
bunch. There is also the NECCHISEWINGMACHINECLUB. Perhaps someone
at either of these can help you out, a few people are actually retired
or currentSM repair folks.

I would rather spend the money on fabric or more vintage machines. :-)

-Irene

Old November 1st 03, 07:27 AM
Christina in Ok

I will take it to the 35 guy in Ada .. too bad I will not be able to chat
with him..... as I have to leave it with his son.
but I sure will call... First I'm going to try to fix it.. if I mess it up
more.. LOL then I will take it in..

Old November 1st 03, 06:05 PM
Butterfly

YOurs is a bit newer than mine. I still have to 'turn' the inside wheel
to get teh bobbin winder to work. I think the 'push in / push out is the
newer version. Got mine in 1973.
HTH
Butterfly (will wait for pix)

Old November 2nd 03, 01:42 AM
Christina in Ok

Weee Hee! Butterfly you will be proud of me!!
I got the wheel fixed. I now have the wheel working right, and the bobbin
winding as it should. But Now I found another Problem.. The machine doesn't
do anything but straight stitching, So I am heading off to Yahoo Groups to
see what I can do about it.

Old November 2nd 03, 03:51 AM
Butterfly

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Knew you could : )
Now--I can't help you with the next part--I don't have the 'stitches' on
mine--only up to the "zigzag BH" dial. Everything else your machine has
is in a later model than the one I have
Keep me posted
Butterfly