Traditional Cross Stitch Method Question

Old July 30th 03, 09:15 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Default Traditional Cross Stitch Method Question

Hi the

I have another question. Unfortunately, I have cross-stitched in 20
years, so I apologize in advance if this sounds stupid.

I was looking at some diagrams on-line, and saw 2 different sets of
instructions for how the *back* should look using the traditional
method. One method said the back should show 2 horizontal lines, with
one being darker (bolder) than the other.

The other example showed a diagram that would clearly leave horizontal
lines on the back.

My question is, is there a right or wrong here? What is the right way
to move to the next stitch when looking at the back?

Also, over on RCTQ we sometimes worry about the Quilt Police. Are
there Cross Stitch Police over here?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Jacquard The Ripper, who is intimately acquainted with removing
stitches in all kinds of needlework.
Old July 30th 03, 09:43 PM
Dr. Brat

Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:

My question is, is there a right or wrong here? What is the right way
to move to the next stitch when looking at the back?

The right way is howevery you do it that looks good to you.
I stitch one leg out and the other back, so mine end up looking like
vertical lines on the back, except for when I go down or over and across
to pick up the odd stitch. In other words, they make vertical lines
except for when they don't. But my stitching pleases me and that's all
that matters.

Also, over on RCTQ we sometimes worry about the Quilt Police. Are
there Cross Stitch Police over here?

Occasionally, but most of us ignore them if they pop up. The only rule
is that the thread goes through the eye of the needle and the needle
enters the fabric at some point.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 30th 03, 11:23 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

First, there are no stupid questions. Sometimes stupid answers, but
never are questions ever stupid. grin

The only rule for cross stitch - other than the one Elizabeth mentioned
- is that all the top stitches should go in the same direction. Which
direction that is is irrelevant.
Some do them all going right, some do them all going left.

Some make a completed cross for each stitch.

Some make a half cross along a row, then come back and do that last half
of the stitch along the entire row.

Some combine the two, depending.

Now, over the coarse of the next few days, you're going to get a ton of
answers, because we all love to tell our favorite stories about
embroidery, love to welcome newcomers, love to help out. Well, okay,
there's the occasional grumpy days. grin

Dianne

Old July 31st 03, 03:53 PM
Brenda Lewis

Even that isn't set in stone. I knew an art student in college who did
a bit of monochromatic cross stitch on a quilt and intentionally did top
stitches in different directions to subtly change the play of light and
shadow. Her work was very interesting.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 31st 03, 06:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well . . . leave it to an "artist". huge grin You know those bohemian
types. (LOL)
They know what they're doing. It was more than likely very "planned".
Most of us don't know how. :-)
Dianne