I need some help with seed beads please

Old January 17th 05, 11:53 PM
Betty

Default I need some help with seed beads please

Hello, I have just started using seed beads. I know very little about
the different types (ex: toho, delica, tb, etc.) Would someone point
me to a web site that gives basic information on the different types of
seed beads? Also can you give me some recommendations on what you
think are the best web sites to purchase a variety of beads (ones with
best variety, quality, and prices). Thank you very much.

Old January 18th 05, 12:37 AM
JoAnn Paules

Toho is a company name. Delicas are a specific type of seed bead made by
Myuki, I think. They look like little cylinders. Regular seed beads have a
torus shape, like a donut. Delicas are wonderful when you are doing the
peyote stitch. They almost "snap" when they fit together. (Anyone who has
done peyote with Delicas knows what I mean.)

I get most of my seed beads from a friend who has a bead shop. I think her
prices are pretty reasonable. If you want, contact me privately and I can
email you her price list.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

oups.com...

Old January 18th 05, 02:21 AM
Kathy N-V

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:53:12 -0500, Betty wrote
(in message .com):

Hello, I have just started using seed beads. I know very little about
the different types (ex: toho, delica, tb, etc.) Would someone point
me to a web site that gives basic information on the different types of
seed beads? Also can you give me some recommendations on what you
think are the best web sites to purchase a variety of beads (ones with
best variety, quality, and prices). Thank you very much.

Please go to:

http://www.lampwork.net

and look at the file called "Bead Notes." I wrote a long description
of the the different types and manufacturers of seed beads. As for
the best prices, there are plenty of terrific places. I am partial
to:

http://www.whimbeads.com

for tubes of beads. And stick around. There are plenty of seed
beaders around here, and we love to talk about our various projects.

I'm in the midst of planning a seed bead project myself - a fully
beaded set of moccasins in lane stitch. I've collected a bunch of
antique seed beads (white hearts), but I'm going to have to mix them
with modern beads, because there simply aren't enough antique beads
available for me to do the whole project. (Or I might use all modern
beads, if the mixture of modern and antque looks weird)

I also fiddle around making "chains" out of woven seed beads, and
putting pendants on them. They're usually tubes of Peyote or
N'debele stitch, and sometimes spirals. People seem to love them,
and they have a really nice glimmer when made with silver lined seed
beads.

The one thing I don't do is follow patterns to make "pictures" out of
seed beads. I tried it once or twice, but it really didn't thrill
me. However, if you like that kind of stuff, there are tons of
patterns out there, or graph paper so you can make your own patterns.

Hope this helps,

Kathy N-V

Old January 18th 05, 05:14 AM
Betty

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the information. You have given me quite a list of web
sites to look up as well as some reference info.

Old January 18th 05, 05:57 AM
Mystified One

Over the holidays I picked up a book called 32 Beading Projects: Beaded
Cords, Chains, Straps & Fringe. It's a Beadwork Magazine Project Book.

There's a lot of information in there including Right Angle Weaving and Loom
weaving, knit, crochet, and herringbone. They really went out to show
different patterns of what to do with seed beads. I found my copy at
Michael's. You can probably find it in most beading sections in craft
stores, if not online.

If you want to play with seed beads, it's a good bet you'll find some easy
enough beginner projects in there.

oups.com...

Old January 20th 05, 06:35 AM
Betty

Thanks a bunch! I have a Michael's down the street. I'll check it out.

Old January 25th 05, 07:02 AM
Betty

Kathy these appear to be antique and uncirculated. You may want want
to check them out.

http://www.picardbeads.com/trade_beads/cat332C.html
http://www.picardbeads.com/trade_beads/cat332D.html

Betty