Decal printing - Solid instead of opaque

Old February 18th 05, 11:53 PM
krobie

Default Decal printing - Solid instead of opaque

When I've attempted to print on clear decal material to use on glass (I
use Avery brand), I do not get decals as shown on the package. Those
decals show solid colors, bright and not at all see-through, placed on
glass. When I print, I get nothing but opaque colors, only clearly
visible if placed on a solid background - ideally, white.

I have a Canon inkjet printer and an Alps microdry printer. The Alps
will print white, but it does not adhere evenly over colors already
printed on the decal material.

Can anyone tell me how I can print a decal on clear material to place
on glass that will have solid colors as shown on the decal packages?

Thank you in advance.
Karen

Old February 19th 05, 12:18 AM
Mike Firth

We need help because you are using a couple of words wrong.
Opaque means that you can't see through it and light won't go through. But
you are using it in contrast to that meaning. Cardboard is opaque.
Translucent means that light will go through it, but you and I can't see
through it. Opal stained glass is an example, as is paper.
Transparent means we can see through it. Common examples of this are
"clear" or cathedral stained glass.
Most paint applied to glass is translucent although it appears opaque
because it is so thick and is surrounded by clear glass and we view it from
only one side.
I would guess that what you are trying to say is that the colors as
printed are not as dark as shown in the examples. It is my impression that
true decals are printed on a white background when a sharp crisp appearance
is desired. I have no idea how this might be done on a white sheet without
hand trimming the decal stock.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

oups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 03:14 AM

Go to a hobby store that sell plastic models, lots of them. In the
area they have paint the also have decal sheets in both clear and white
and a fixative to set the ink on the decals once you print them

Mike Firth wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 03:26 PM
Mike Firth

I rereading her message (see below, snipped) I noticed that she wants the
white on top of color (glue on the other side), which means she is viewing
the decal through the glass.
If she uses the white decal material, she will have to hand trim it to fit
the image AND will it stick down with ink on the glue side?

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/hotbit47.htm Latest notes

ups.com...

Old February 19th 05, 06:47 PM
Mike Beede

In article ,
"Mike Firth" wrote:

I rereading her message (see below, snipped) I noticed that she wants the
white on top of color (glue on the other side), which means she is viewing
the decal through the glass.
If she uses the white decal material, she will have to hand trim it to fit
the image AND will it stick down with ink on the glue side?

I wonder if it's possible to get a while decal material and stick it on
upside down? It would be necessary to find an adhesive that would
work, and to clean the existing adhesive off afterwards. Also, depending
on the application, would it be possible to print on paper and glue that
on? I imagine that would only be acceptable if the paper would be
pretty much never exposed to wear and tear.

Note: I don't know anything about this--I'm just brainstorming in the
hope it will stimulate an idea in someone that does know something....

Mike Beede