Vincenzo Taormina - Stainless Steel Jewelry

Old May 16th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Vincenzo

Default Vincenzo Taormina - Stainless Steel Jewelry

Hi everyone,

My name is Vincenzo Taormina
I am a Jewelry artist specialized in Stainless Steel Modern Jewelry.
It is a pleasure meeting all of you!

If you would like to exchange info or suggestions,
please feel free to ask.

Have a great day

Vincenzo Taormina
http://www.vincenzotaormina.net

Old May 17th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Vincenzo wrote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Vincenzo Taormina
I am a Jewelry artist specialized in Stainless Steel Modern Jewelry.
It is a pleasure meeting all of you!

If you would like to exchange info or suggestions,
please feel free to ask.

Have a great day

Vincenzo Taormina
http://www.vincenzotaormina.net

I usually do
However,
Im afraid im going to spoil your day.
Ive looked closely at what you do with stainless steel 316. In your
written description about the metal, you say that steel is free of
nickel. In its pure form, yes,
BUT
316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents., depending which alloy you are using.
you MUST clarify this on your web sire otherwise you run the risk of
being sued for mis representation. America being the home of litigation,
As one metal smith to another
I suggest you do something about this right away.
Ted Frater
Dorset UK

Old May 17th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Taormina Studio

On May 16, 11:50?pm, ted frater wrote:
Vincenzo wrote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Vincenzo Taormina
I am a Jewelry artist specialized in Stainless Steel Modern Jewelry.
It is a pleasure meeting all of you!

If you would like to exchange info or suggestions,
please feel free to ask.

Have a great day

Vincenzo Taormina
http://www.vincenzotaormina.net

I usually do
However,
Im afraid im going to spoil your day.
Ive looked closely at what you do 7ith stainless steel 316. In your
written description about the metal, you say that steel is free of
nickel. In its pure form, yes,
BUT
316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents., depending which alloy you are using.
you MUST clarify this on your web sire otherwise you run the risk of
being sued for mis representation. America being the home of litigation,
As one metal smith to another
I suggest you do something about this right away.
Ted Frater
Dorset UK

Thank you Ted for your suggestion
We will create a disclamer into Our WebSite ASAP.

However: Since Body Piercing Jewelry is NOT part of our Jewelry
Catalogs.
The closest part of metal into the body is the ear lobe hole.

You are right when you say:
"316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents"
but DESPITE this, it is ALLERGY-SAFE.
This is DUE to the fact that the nickel is so tightly bound in the
material that the leakage of nickel is below the threshold value set
up by most of the Countries.

Thank you again for you time on valuating my post We appreciate it.

Old May 18th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Taormina Studio wrote:

Thank you Ted for your suggestion
We will create a disclamer into Our WebSite ASAP.

However: Since Body Piercing Jewelry is NOT part of our Jewelry
Catalogs.
The closest part of metal into the body is the ear lobe hole.

You are right when you say:
"316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents"
but DESPITE this, it is ALLERGY-SAFE.

This is not true!

I just received a ring back from a client, that was made in 303
stainless. It turns out, that she has developed a severe allergic
reaction to the nickel in the stainless steel. I will be making the
same ring for her in Platinum instead.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old May 18th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Vincenzo wrote:

[...]

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
you are correct in what you say about the nickel being fully bound in
the 316 alloy, and being 99% or virtually hypoallogenic.
I am and have been aware of that as Ive made stainless jewellery for
many years.
It was the implication that there was NO nickel in your products that
made me write as I did.
AS for body jewellery, 316 is used in that class of products.
However, there have been incidents where even 316 has been allergic to
some people.
Ive also made this kind of product as part of my ongoing research and
devolopment programme, experimenting with many other materials.
Good luck with you work

Old May 18th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:11:24 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

You are right when you say:
"316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents"
but DESPITE this, it is ALLERGY-SAFE.

This is not true!

I just received a ring back from a client, that was made in 303
stainless. It turns out, that she has developed a severe allergic
reaction to the nickel in the stainless steel. I will be making the
same ring for her in Platinum instead.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

It's probably safe to say the appropriate stainless steels are alergy safe for
most people. But then, many people can wear the standard nickle bearing white
golds used in the U.S., without reaction, even if they're troublesome enough
often enough that they're not allowed in euriope.

It's also probably safe to say that there is no metal or material to which
absolutely nobody is ever allergic. I've met a few customers who could not wear
even platinum, considered one of the most hypoallergenic of the metals. The one
I'm thinking of could wear only fine silver, so far as she could tell. I don't
know if she'd ever tried fine gold, but platinum clearly gave her some trouble,
and karat golds were out of the question.

Peter
Old May 18th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:11:24 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

You are right when you say:
[...]

I met one woman who challenged me on my titanium pieces'
non-allergenicity (is that a word?) and claimed she had titanium dental
work removed due to allergic reaction. I dunno if it was CP or 6Al4V or
what. I also wonder if it was an infection her doctor 'prefered' to
attribute to the metal.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old May 18th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Gearloose

You are right when you say:
"316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents"
but DESPITE this, it is ALLERGY-SAFE.

This is not true!

I just received a ring back from a client, that was made in 303
stainless. It turns out, that she has developed a severe allergic
reaction to the nickel in the stainless steel. I will be making the
same ring for her in Platinum instead.

For decades, my Day Job was in Biomaterials. I have seen explanted
Type 316 spinal components, (long ago before titanium). Some people
are sensitive to nickel, and their body's defenses are able to chelate
it. The resulting pieces appeared as if they were acid etched.
Type 416 has no nickel, just iron and chromium. It is magnetic, but
very easy to machine, and takes a good polish.
Definition: A wrought martensitic stainless steel that is high in
strength, as are the other stainless steels in this category. It is
nickel-free, has 0.15% carbon, 12-14% chromium, and, for increased
machinability, has extra amounts of sulfur or sulfur, phosphorus, and
selenium.
(Synonyms: type 416 stainless steel)
__________________________________________________ __

Here is a biomedical grade Ni-Free stainless:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
Old May 18th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Taormina Studio

Subject: Vincenzo Taormina - Stainless Steel Jewelry
From: Taormina Studio
Date: 18 May 2007 05:50:37 -0700

Vincenzo wrote:

[...]

the 316 alloy, and being 99% /r virtually hypoallogenic.
I am and have been aware of that !s Ive made stainless jewellery for
many years.
It was the implication that there was NO nickel in your products that
made me write as I did.
AS for body jewellery, 316 is used in that class of products.
However, there have been incidents where even 316 has been allergic to
some people.
Ive also made this kind of product as part of my ongoing research and
devolopment programme, experimenting with many other materials.
Good luck with you work- Hide quoted text -

Thank you again for the Hint!
We did corrected Our website page
http://www.vincenzotaormina.net/materialpage6.htm
and now we will use the word HYPOALLERGENIC

Definition = "having a decreased tendency to provoke an allergic
reaction"

I think is the most pilitically correct and Legally safe way to do it.

Thank you all for reading