Just out of curiosity

Old April 24th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default Just out of curiosity

How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3, K3tbl, K3 tog, K2, repeat from * to end.

Thanks
Shelagh

Old April 24th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Shillelagh wrote:
How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3, K3tbl, K3 tog, K2, repeat from * to end.

If it is supposed to be symmetrical, I'd interpret
k3tbl as k3togtbl - knit three together through the
back loop to balance the k3tog.

The pairs of k3tog/k3togtbl will be set apart by
groups of k5, except at the edges where one edge is
k3, the other is k2.

I'm assuming that the pattern is knitted flat and that
the other rows do something else, probably increasing
to balance the loss of four stitches per repeat on this
row.

=Tamar
Old April 24th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

"Shillelagh" wrote in message
How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3, K3tbl, K3 tog, K2, repeat from * to end.

Thanks
Shelagh

Knit 3, Knit 3 through back of loop, Knit 3 together, Knit 2. On the wrong
side of your work you should have Purl 3 through back of loop. The result is
rows of stitches which stand out from the background of the work
The stitches on each side of the cable here
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/ca...le-unisex.html are made using
this technique.
DA

Old April 24th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:08:48 -0500, "Shillelagh"
wrote:

How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3

Knit three, pretty obvious

K3tbl

Hm. This *should* produce a left-leaning double decrease: jam the
right needle through the backs of three consecutive stitches and knit
them together.

K3 tog, K2,

Again pretty obvious. K3tog makes a right-leaning double-decrease.

Brioche stitch, or trinity stitch maybe?
Old April 24th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,
Shillelagh wrote:
How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3, K3tbl, K3 tog, K2, repeat from * to end.

If it is supposed to be symmetrical, I'd interpret
k3tbl as k3togtbl - knit three together through the
back loop to balance the k3tog.

Bing, bing, bing - if there was a prize - you'd have it. But here's what I
did, because I followed the instruction to the letter. I knit 3 separate
stitches through the back loops. There was nothing there that said K3
TOGETHER. I think it's an error on the part of the person who wrote the
pattern. She must think the people knitting this pattern are mind readers.
;P And you should see the instructions on how to do it!! (I finally got
smart and read the extra little notes hidden away from the main pattern.)
Here's what you're supposed to do:

Slip the first two stitches onto the other needle. Knit the 3rd st thru the
back loop, then slip the other 2 stitches over the knitted stitch.

The other decrease of K3 tog is to be done this way:

K the first two together, slide that st back onto the left needle (if you
knit that way), slip the 3rd st over that one, then slip the whole mess back
onto the right needle and carry on. whew!!

I'm assuming that the pattern is knitted flat and that
the other rows do something else, probably increasing
to balance the loss of four stitches per repeat on this
row.

The pattern is for a pair of socks, which I'm knitting on 4 dpns. Once I
finally got the hang of it, it's looking pretty good. And you're right
about the increases. They are in the 1st and 3rd rows and the above "stuff"
was done on the 5th row. Thank heavens it's only a 6 row repeat.

I've seen a lot of patterns in my time, but haven't seen instructions like
this. Obviously you guys are better at reading patterns than I am. ;D

Thanks for the input.

Shelagh

Old April 24th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:08:48 -0500, "Shillelagh"

K3tbl

Hm. This *should* produce a left-leaning double decrease: jam the
right needle through the backs of three consecutive stitches and knit
them together.

Hah! Read my post to Tamar and see the convulted instructions for the
decreases. Plus, I was thoroughly annoyed that it didn't SAY K3 TOGETHER
tbl. But I guess we're all mind readers, and I failed (laugh).

Brioche stitch, or trinity stitch maybe?

Not really, it's a 6 row repeat of increases and that row I wrote about is
the corresponding decrease to get a lacy effect along with a kind of a "V".
It's for socks, and now that I have the hang of it, it looks quite nice.

Shelagh

Old April 24th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Apr 24, 12:30 am, (Richard Eney) wrote:
In article ,

Shillelagh wrote:
How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3, K3tbl, K3 tog, K2, repeat from * to end.

If it is supposed to be symmetrical, I'd interpret
k3tbl as k3togtbl - knit three together through the
back loop to balance the k3tog.

The pairs of k3tog/k3togtbl will be set apart by
groups of k5, except at the edges where one edge is
k3, the other is k2.

I'm assuming that the pattern is knitted flat and that
the other rows do something else, probably increasing
to balance the loss of four stitches per repeat on this
row.

I'm with you, Tamar. Very poorly written instructions, though.

Higs,
Katherine

Old April 24th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 25, 1:19 am, WoolyGooly wrote:
K3tbl

Hm. This *should* produce a left-leaning double decrease: jam the
right needle through the backs of three consecutive stitches and knit
them together.

I would have thought that if this was meant to be a decrease the
instruction should read: K3togtbl.
I think it's ambiguous and could be read either as "knit each of the
next 3 stitches through the back of the loop" or "knit 3 stitches
together through back of the loop".
What happens on the next row? What is the result meant to look like?

VP

Old April 25th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
fiberlicious

Shillelagh wrote:
How would you expert knitters interpret the following instructions:

*K3, K3tbl, K3 tog, K2, repeat from * to end.

If it is supposed to be symmetrical, I'd interpret
k3tbl as k3togtbl - knit three together through the
back loop to balance the k3tog.

The pairs of k3tog/k3togtbl will be set apart by
groups of k5, except at the edges where one edge is
k3, the other is k2.

I'm assuming that the pattern is knitted flat and that
the other rows do something else, probably increasing
to balance the loss of four stitches per repeat on this
row.

=Tamar

Now, I would interpret K3tbl as "knit three stitches, one after the
other, thru the back loop.'" If they wanted the stitches knit
together, they should have said so.

Old April 25th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

oups.com...

Shillelagh wrote:

I'm assuming that the pattern is knitted flat and that
the other rows do something else, probably increasing
to balance the loss of four stitches per repeat on this
row.

=Tamar

Now, I would interpret K3tbl as "knit three stitches, one after the
other, thru the back loop.'" If they wanted the stitches knit
together, they should have said so

Good example of a poorly written pattern, it would have been just as easy to
say K3togtbl.
DA