What is your preferred yarn for sweater knitting?

Old March 10th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default What is your preferred yarn for sweater knitting?

wrote:
Real Yarn Snobs use wool!
Ultra Yarn Snobs use silk!
Mega yarn Snobs use frog's hair!

Practical peoples use synthetic. I mean, I have nice wool sweaters, but the
sweaters I wear on a daily basis are acrylic or acrylic/nylon. If you are
too warm in acrylic, use a thinner yarn or a looser gauge.

And Suzee, tell us about the Knitpicks! Inquiring knitters want to know!

What the yarn's like you mean? Sure, as soon as I get it and have a
chance to work with it. I've received some Merino style, which is very
nice, and the Elegance, which is an alpaca and silk. Veeeeeerrrry
soft..... mmmmmm. I also got some Shimmer, which I was using tripled,
but because of the pattern of the color variation isn't working out like
I want. So I've put that aside for now until I figure out how to deal
with it.

sue
Old March 10th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The Other Kim wrote:
Suzee wrote:

Qintes wrote:
I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?

I've always used acrylic, but I also get too hot in them.... even

before
hot flashes. I made a couple last summer in cotton and cotton/acrylic
that were fine. I have two cardigan/shrugs in the cotton/acrylic and
Lion's Jiffy - I wanted warmth for these. Have just ordered some Wool

of
the Andes from knitpicks to make a sweater from Weekend Knitting, so
we'll see how that works out.

I'm making a sweater with Wool of the Andes right now, and it's working
out wonderfully! And you can't beat the price, either; less than $30
for enough yarn to make a 44" chest sweater.

Yikes, that's about the size I need and I only got 7 skeins. The pattern
calls for 500-600 yards, so I figured that'd be enough.

I know some people have had problems with KnitPicks, but I've never had
any problems. Any concerns I've had have been addressed promptly, and
the yarns have been great.

I live one state away from their Ohio warehouse, so have received my
orders promptly. Been happy with the yarn I purchased except for the one
not working out right for the pattern.

sue
Old March 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Spike Driver wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Qintes wrote:

I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?

Mostly acrylic, because of ease of washing.

Higs,
Katherine

I agree a sport weight acrylic. Sport weight is more comfortable and
lighter. I also think it flows better.

Agreed! I can wear sport weight indoors, while worsted is a bit too heavy.

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 10th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:
Real Yarn Snobs use wool!
Ultra Yarn Snobs use silk!
Mega yarn Snobs use frog's hair!

ROTFL!!!

Higs,
Katherine

Old March 10th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I spin my own, so don't buy much yarn now, only for the 6x6 so can't help
you....I think it will depend on two things,

1. What does the pattern call for
2. Are you or the person the sweater is intended for allergic to anything.

hugz Cher

"Qintes" wrote in message
I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what yarn
to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do youns use?
Pamjam

Old March 10th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks everyone! I was actually suprised that so many people said
"acrylic"! I thought I was going to be told that if I didn't use wool I
wasn't a real knitter! LOL! I never thought of sport weight acrylic.
That's clever. I'll definately keep that in mind. Thanks everyone!
Pamjam

Old March 11th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Suzee wrote:

I'm making a sweater with Wool of the Andes right now, and it's

working
out wonderfully! And you can't beat the price, either; less than

$30
for enough yarn to make a 44" chest sweater.

Yikes, that's about the size I need and I only got 7 skeins. The

pattern
calls for 500-600 yards, so I figured that'd be enough.

You should be okay, then. Yardage is a more accurate method than weight
when it comes to knowing how much you need for a project. I just bought
yarn for a shawl and went by yardage since I wasn't using the same yarn
as in the pattern.

I know some people have had problems with KnitPicks, but I've never

had
any problems. Any concerns I've had have been addressed promptly,

and
the yarns have been great.

I live one state away from their Ohio warehouse, so have received my
orders promptly. Been happy with the yarn I purchased except for the

one
not working out right for the pattern.

My order placed last week arrived today - woohoo!!! Socks for
everyone!! g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old March 11th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Aaron , i wasn`t amused by this lines , I use Natural wools and
cottons , becuase i am ALERGIC to all Acrilycs , luckily not to nylons
thus i can still wear nylon stockings, [ but have to look hard for
those WITHOUT acrilycs,,, I am not a snob i juyst hate to be sick .
I take extremely good care of my stuff and they keep well for YEARS
till i get sick of seeing them ...
mirjam

Real Yarn Snobs use wool!
Ultra Yarn Snobs use silk!
Mega yarn Snobs use frog's hair!

Practical peoples use synthetic. I mean, I have nice wool sweaters, but the
sweaters I wear on a daily basis are acrylic or acrylic/nylon. If you are
too warm in acrylic, use a thinner yarn or a looser gauge.

And Suzee, tell us about the Knitpicks! Inquiring knitters want to know!

Aaron

"suzee" wrote in message
freenews.net...

Old March 11th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

And I feel very badly that I didn't know this till right AFTER I made and
sent you that blue scarf, Mirjam......
I apologize profusely, and will find some gorgeous NON-acrylic light blue
yarn and make you another!
Noreen
hanging head, that I've known this for quite some time, and just realized
it tonight... that I sent you an acrylic scarf two or three years ago....

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

"suzee" wrote in message
dfreenews.net...

Old March 11th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:49:30 GMT, Qintes wrote:

I'm going to try to knit my first sweater soon but I'm not sure what
yarn to use....acrylic, cotton/acrylic, wool, wool blend??? What do
youns use?
Pamjam

HI Pam - well you've gotten lots of interesting answers. Mine is -
what will suit you? I have a personal issue - I am always too warm -
so a wool or wool/acrylic sweater would probably be too hot for me. I
knit cotton sweaters or perhaps cotton/rayon. I might try cotton with
a little wool for stretch. I find acrylic also too warm because it
doesn't breathe for me. I know that usually you want a sweater to be
warm (!) but if I'm going to wear it indoors, that won't work. I'm
longing to try a silk blend but the worst part about being a big woman
is how much expensive yarn it takes to make a covering!

Alison