How to wash satin materials?

Old March 4th 05, 07:11 AM
LB

Default How to wash satin materials?

I have some old satin I would like to use and some of it has some faded
patches (I think from light). Is it possible to wash it so it all
matches or is there a way to blend the colors with some type of stain
remover?

Thanks!
LB

Old March 4th 05, 02:04 PM

Dear LB,

It depends upon the fiber from which the satin was woven. Washing
won't help the fade marks, and if the satin is polyester, it can't be
dyed at home. Is it possible to cut around the faded spots? If the
fabric is silk, you take the chance of removing the sericin from the
fabric and changing the hand of it. Sericin is the gum that the
silkworm produces to hold its cocoon together, and gives it the scroop
(silky sound) when it's worn.

I think I'd re=think the project you've determined, and use it for
something that either incorporates the faded parts, or can be cut
around the fade marks.

Old March 4th 05, 02:08 PM
Linda Sweigart

If the satin is made from polyester it should be washable. If you're not
sure of the fiber content, try doing a burn test; Cut a small sliver of the
fabric, hold it with tweezers (or something similar) and light the end of it
with a match or lighter. If it curls and melts into a hard dark knob it's
probably polyester. I used to work for a small wholesale fabric company and
we had a list of the burn charastics for all the different types of fabric
so we could determine what things were since much of our stock was leftovers
from garment manufacturers.

Linda

oups.com...

Old March 4th 05, 03:43 PM

LB Mar 3, 10:11 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
From: "LB" - Find messages by this author
Date: 3 Mar 2005 22:11:12 -0800
Subject: How to wash satin materials?
original | Report Abuse

I have some old satin I would like to use and some of it has some faded

patches (I think from light). Is it possible to wash it so it all
matches or is there a way to blend the colors with some type of stain
remover?

Thanks!
---
How about planning your cuts to use the fading for accents? Faded,
multi-colored fabric is all the rage right now. You could do a little
embroidery or beadwork over the faded areas, to make it seem
deliberate, and better incorporate it into the dress/top.
Cea

Old March 7th 05, 04:03 PM
crinolinelady

hello im pippa from pippas crinoline dresses
yes its possible to was out satin to tetrieve the colours
or use a vegetable dye
DO NOT use a sythetic dye, as this does fibre damage
what exactly is the satin from, if its a dress there are other methods
of doing this, including a dye pen which we use on crinolines
pippa

Old March 8th 05, 01:30 AM

Vegetable dyes will not work on synthetic fabrics. You might as well
use watercolors for all the good they'll do.

Silk satin can be dyed with acid dyes. Polyester cannot be dyed at
home.
For help with dyeing projects, try Dharma Trading. Its catalog and web
sites are encyclopedias of information on all types of dyes.

I like the idea of incorporating the faded spots into the design, or
cutting around the damage.

Teri

Old March 8th 05, 11:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 3 Mar 2005 22:11:12 -0800, LB wrote:
I have some old satin I would like to use and some of it has some faded
patches (I think from light). Is it possible to wash it so it all
matches or is there a way to blend the colors with some type of stain

Besides all the other good advice you've been given, I'd personally be really
cautious about using this fabric in anything that had to stand much use.
Faded spots usually mean UV damage, which can also weaken the fiber
and not just fade the dye. Polyester won't sunrot, but silk sure will,
and I wouldn't trust acetate satin much.

Why do you want to use the fabric? You may want to balance the apparent
economy with the best use of your time and effort.

Kay

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
kiln wash question psci_kw Pottery 1 July 26th 03 11:51 PM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM