Sewing a silk garment.

Old January 14th 05, 08:24 PM

Default Sewing a silk garment.

I'm sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I'm an old man. :-)

What kind of thread should I use to sew buttons on a silk shirt?

What kind of thread should I use to hem up silk pajama legs with a
sewing machine?

Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

*******

Old January 14th 05, 10:09 PM
Karen Maslowski

No question is dumb on these boards. We've all been new at something at
one time or another, and may be again.

The answer to both questions is a good quality polyester thread. It's
not necessary to use silk thread (which is ridiculously expensive, btw)
for these tasks.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your pj's!
Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old January 14th 05, 11:03 PM
Arri London

" wrote:

I'm sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I'm an old man. :-)

What kind of thread should I use to sew buttons on a silk shirt?

Cotton-covered polyester or else a good quality polyester (it shouldn't
look fuzzy on the spool).

What kind of thread should I use to hem up silk pajama legs with a
sewing machine?

Use the same thread as for the buttons in top and bobbin.

Old January 15th 05, 01:59 PM
joy beeson

On 14 Jan 2005 12:24:36 -0800, "
wrote:

What kind of thread should I use to sew buttons on a silk shirt?
What kind of thread should I use to hem up silk pajama legs with a
sewing machine?

Silk if you've got it: size B machine twist for the
buttons and size A machine twist for the hem. Or use the
same spool for both. (Take more stitches if sewing buttons
on with hem thread, sew by hand if hemming with button
thread.)

If you have to go out and buy thread, get a good grade of
polyester, since silk is hard to find.

(If you do find silk, #50 reeled silk is a good substitute
for machine twist. Spun silk is for ornamental stitching
only -- it doesn't hold up in seams.)

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbeeson59...HSEW/ROUGH.HTM
Old January 15th 05, 10:30 PM
BEI Design

joy beeson wrote:

If you have to go out and buy thread, get a good grade of
polyester, since silk is hard to find.

A store local to me (Fabric Depot http://www.fabricdepot.com/) has
Gutterman's silk thread in many colors. I bought some for DD's wedding
sewing last summer. It's the only thread I could find which perfectly
matched the flower girl's periwinkle satin. I even used it on the serger to
clean-finish the seams in that dress.
NAYY,
--
Beverly
delete no spam and .invalid to reply

Old January 16th 05, 05:42 PM
joy beeson

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:30:49 -0800, "BEI Design"
wrote:

A store local to me (Fabric Depot http://www.fabricdepot.com/) has
Gutterman's silk thread in many colors. I bought some for DD's wedding
sewing last summer. It's the only thread I could find which perfectly
matched the flower girl's periwinkle satin. I even used it on the serger to
clean-finish the seams in that dress.

But Gutterman's is spun silk. The OP wanted to hem pajamas,
which will be used harder than wedding apparel.

On the other hand, it *is* only a hem. I believe that in
his place, I'd use it if the local store had the right
color.

Joy Beeson
Old January 16th 05, 07:02 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

A store local to me (Fabric Depot http://www.fabricdepot.com/) has
Gutterman's silk thread in many colors. I bought some for DD's wedding
sewing last summer. It's the only thread I could find which perfectly
matched the flower girl's periwinkle satin. I even used it on the serger to
clean-finish the seams in that dress.

But Gutterman's is spun silk. The OP wanted to hem pajamas,
which will be used harder than wedding apparel.

On the other hand, it *is* only a hem. I believe that in
his place, I'd use it if the local store had the right
color.

Joy Beeson

I get excellent results hand sewing with Gutterman silk. I try to use
it for most of my hand finishing. Occasionally I'll use a lighter
thread if it's a very fine fabric.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 16th 05, 10:59 PM
Gobzo

Lewis:

There is a thread selection guide at http://www.amefird.com/thread_application_guides.htm
I am trying to follow with decent results so far. Hope that helps.

Alex
Maria's Sewing And Alterations
http://www.dressmaker.ca

" wrote in news:1105734276.047427.20310