The latest thing around here...

Old December 25th 04, 05:15 PM
Karen Maslowski

Melinda, my daughter is going to Charleston, SC for college, and the
school sent her a Chriatmss card with the school's quad covered in snow!
We were all a little surprised. I guess they sent it to prepare new
students for the rude shock of expecting to go to a "southern" climate!

Hope everyone is having a merry holiday! I'm taking a break from
marathon cooking--last night's dinner, this morning's breakfast
(homemade cinnamon rolls, yum!), today's lunch, and fixin's for dinner
tonight. Tomorrow, they're all waiting on ME, hand and foot.

Karen Maslowski in snowy, cold Ohio--our nation's deep freeze today

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Barbara Raper wrote:

Hi Erin, I'm from Simpsonville, SC, 14 miles from Greenville. I'm lucky
enough to be able to live in Florida during the cold months. Nice to
meet
ya!

Cold months? How cold does it get, exactly, around there? We were told
that it rarely went below freezing and that there was rarely any snow,
just occasionally a light dusting. Is that accurate? I hate to be
sending my daughter off unprepared for viciously cold weather. But then
again, I suppose Pennsylvania is a lot further north than South Carolina.

Old December 25th 04, 06:14 PM
Barbara Raper

Besides Charleston being cold in the winter and wet during the summer, there
is always a chance of hurricanes in the fall, and don't forget that it is
situated on a earthquake fault. However it would be a wonderful place to
live! I love it's history!
Barbara in FL and Greenville, SC

Old December 26th 04, 02:30 AM
CySew

I was in Boiling Springs about 25 miles from Greenville the end of last
month to visit DS & family and to celebrate DGD's 6th. It was cold! I wore
warm clothing and of course, the afternoon she(DGD) had her horse riding
lesson was the coldest afternoon so far this year, very cloudy and damp as
well. It was even too cold to shoot pictures of her practicing her first
jumps with the digital camera. I thought I had broken it, but after we got
inside the house, it worked fine.
Boiling Springs/Spartanburg is near Ashville, about 26 miles, I think. I
call it the foot of the Piedmont Mtns. though that may not be exactly
accurate.
Emily

Old December 26th 04, 03:43 PM
Barbara Raper

Yep, Emily. It's called the foot hills of the Carolinas, or foot hills of
the Piedmont.
Barbara in SC & FL

Old December 27th 04, 08:52 AM

Barbara Raper wrote:

Don't believe everything you hear! Be sure to pack her plenty of warm
clothes and a heavy coat. There might be 2 snows, when schools and stores
close for a day or 2. But yes, mostly ice storms, 2 or 3 a year, when

YIKES! She doesn't own any really cold-weather clothes -- the lowest it
ever really gets here is in the 40s -- and she's leaving for school in
two weeks! Time to pop up a web page and start ordering furiously with
express delivery!

Thanks for the info.
Old December 27th 04, 03:22 PM
Barbara Raper

Right now it is 32 degrees in Greenville after a low of 26. Yes, your DD
will need plenty of long winter skirts. I don't think the girls are allowed
to wear pants on or off campus. Temps should get even colder in Jan & Feb.
Hope she can stay warm!
Barbara in SC & FL

Old December 27th 04, 06:18 PM
Elizabeth Young

Barbara Raper wrote:

Don't believe everything you hear! Be sure to pack her plenty of warm
clothes and a heavy coat. There might be 2 snows, when schools and
stores
close for a day or 2. But yes, mostly ice storms, 2 or 3 a year, when

YIKES! She doesn't own any really cold-weather clothes -- the lowest it
ever really gets here is in the 40s -- and she's leaving for school in
two weeks! Time to pop up a web page and start ordering furiously with
express delivery!

Thanks for the info.

My suggestions for warm clothes (eddie bauer is having their seasonal
cold weather gear sale now - just an idea)

Long winter coat (keeps knees warm)
Wool scarf (or other fiber that still insulates when damp)
Wool gloves and waterproof covers (nothing worse than wet gloves in sleet)
Wool socks
A few warm sweaters
Wool hat if coat does not have hood.
Boots with reasonable traction that are large enough to fit heavy socks.

Her 40 degree clothes will be fine for layering under the warm stuff.

I frequently wore a full length full circle heavy wool skirt around
campus - kept my legs warm and also generated lots of "are you a nun"
"are you in a play" questions. Always fun to answer.

liz young in breezy california
Old December 27th 04, 07:37 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Barbara Raper wrote:

Don't believe everything you hear! Be sure to pack her plenty of warm
clothes and a heavy coat. There might be 2 snows, when schools and

stores
close for a day or 2. But yes, mostly ice storms, 2 or 3 a year, when

YIKES! She doesn't own any really cold-weather clothes -- the lowest it
ever really gets here is in the 40s -- and she's leaving for school in
two weeks! Time to pop up a web page and start ordering furiously with
express delivery!

Thanks for the info.

Merry Christmas, Guys and Gals!
These last few posts brought quite a chuckle as I remembered the first year
of my marriage: my husband was transferred from the Queen Charlotte Islands
to Kitimat, British Columbia. This move was for December 1 - no problem we
thought because it was a lateral transfer (both in job position and
geographic latitude). What we hadn't counted on was that Kitimat, although
technically a seaport, is quite far inland up the very long and narrow
Douglas Channel. We discovered immediately that what we thought was winter
clothing very truly wasn't! (And we thought that the nickname "Valley of
the Snow" was just fanciful thinking - NOT!) From that time hence, I have
always packed for a variety of climates - regardless of the time of year.
Cynthia

Old December 27th 04, 11:42 PM

Barbara Raper wrote:

Right now it is 32 degrees in Greenville after a low of 26. Yes, your DD
will need plenty of long winter skirts. I don't think the girls are allowed
to wear pants on or off campus. Temps should get even colder in Jan & Feb.
Hope she can stay warm!

She doesn't wear pants anyway, but they are allowed to wear them when
going to and from the gym and during some athletic events and specific
outings (horseback riding, ice skating, skiing, etc.) where they are
more practical.

She is a stubborn one, my daughter (her first sentence was "Do by self"
LOL) and has resisted my attempts to get her to consider boosting her
wardrobe. Maybe I'll pass your weather report on to her and see if it
motivates her to seriously consider augmenting her wardrobe.

I'm sure she'd be fine with a few pairs of leggings plus tights to wear
under her skirts, if I can convince her to order them (I'm not wasting
any money buying them without her wanting them, because I've done that
before and she hasn't worn things because she didn't want them). If
not, she can jolly well freeze until she gets the drift.