Men's dress shirt pattern recommendation?

Old October 1st 03, 05:06 AM
BYDMORAN

Default Men's dress shirt pattern recommendation?

I have just decided to make my husband some dress shirts instead of buying yet
more that just don't last.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a pattern which they have used and found
it goes together nicely. I would like to make several of different prints of
fabric.

I need a placket front, yoke back with pleat (but I could add that) and long
sleeves with button cuff.

I haven't looked at men's patterns in years. The pattern I have now is older
than I am (and I am not young!). I use it to make my dad flannel shirts but am
hoping a newer pattern would go together more smoothly and would have ALL the
pieces!
Ready for a new pattern.

Donna
Old October 1st 03, 06:11 AM
duh who

"BYDMORAN" wrote in message
I have just decided to make my husband some dress shirts instead of buying

yet
more that just don't last.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a pattern which they have used and

found
it goes together nicely. I would like to make several of different prints

of
fabric.

I've adapted a Butterick 3217 for my use. So, I've tailored it. Don't know
how it will fit your hubby.

I need a placket front, yoke back with pleat (but I could add that) and

long
sleeves with button cuff.

By placket front, do you mean a pullover? Or a separate piece for the
buttonhole strip?

Dwight
Aunty Sipation

Old October 1st 03, 08:29 AM

BYDMORAN wrote:

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a pattern which they have used and found
it goes together nicely. I would like to make several of different prints of
fabric.

I can't recommend any pattern (but can enthusiastically recommend Tailor
Made, men's pattern-drafting software by www.wildginger.com), but if you
are going to start making men's dress shirts, don't start without buying
David Coffin's Shirtmaking book. It's a Taunton Press book.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old October 1st 03, 04:36 PM
BYDMORAN

Thank you for the pattern recommendation (Butterick 3217). I will check it
out. I need a separate strip for the buttons and button holes. The pattern I
make for my dad doesn't have this. No pullovers.
Old October 1st 03, 05:28 PM
duh who

"BYDMORAN" wrote in message
Thank you for the pattern recommendation (Butterick 3217). I will check

it
out. I need a separate strip for the buttons and button holes. The

pattern I
make for my dad doesn't have this. No pullovers.

Ok, this one has the strip. I think it has a pair of pants along with the
shirt, but I don't use that.

I think its pretty much an old style pattern. No drop shoulder like is in
fashion now. I dropped the shoulder on mine, plus some other things to
tailor it to me.

I've made different versions of the pattern to make casual shirts (dropped
the yoke, self-seam the button strips), short-sleeve shirts (don't go with
their short-sleeve length. Its too short. Add about 2" so it reaches the
elbow.)

Vogue has a dress shirt pattern too, which I have, but have never used.
Once I tailored one pattern to me, I wasn't going to go futzing with
another.

Old October 1st 03, 08:36 PM
BYDMORAN

I see Joann's has the Butterick patterns for .99 today...so guess where I am
headed. Thanks for the advice about the short sleeve length.
Donna

Old October 13th 03, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 01 Oct 2003 04:06:57 GMT, BYDMORAN wrote:
I have just decided to make my husband some dress shirts instead of buying yet
more that just don't last.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a pattern which they have used and found
it goes together nicely. I would like to make several of different prints of

Kwik-sew 2777 is what I use for folks that don't need a custom pattern.
I strongly suggest using the ready-to-wear style folded front placket
(cut-on placket) rather than the separate placket.

Kay Lancaster

Old October 13th 03, 09:02 PM
Emily

DS had been complaining about his shirts, and last spring, I bought the
Simplicity shirt pattern #9469 for 99cents and enough fabric at $1:00 a yard
to make a muslin. It is like the K-S that Kay mentioned, no separate
placket in the front. DS didn't care for that, so when I found a Butterick
pattern #3217, I bought it and he likes it much better because of the
separate placket..
Emily

Old October 14th 03, 12:37 AM
duh who

"Emily" wrote in message
DS had been complaining about his shirts, and last spring, I bought the
Simplicity shirt pattern #9469 for 99cents and enough fabric at $1:00 a

yard
to make a muslin. It is like the K-S that Kay mentioned, no separate
placket in the front. DS didn't care for that, so when I found a

Butterick
pattern #3217, I bought it and he likes it much better because of the
separate placket..
Emily

I use that pattern, but its set up to give you the option of a separate
placket, or a self-seam on each side.