Optivisor Help

Old December 10th 03, 06:05 AM
A.J.Martin

Default Optivisor Help

Hello friends,
I want to get my wife something for her jewelry making hobby for Christmas.
Can anyone recommend which optivisor magnification level is best for beading
and jewelry making?
Or...do you even like an optivisor? or would a flexible arm magnifier be
better?
Thanks to you all.
Andy

Old December 10th 03, 07:34 AM
Abrasha

"A.J.Martin" wrote:

Hello friends,
I want to get my wife something for her jewelry making hobby for Christmas.
Can anyone recommend which optivisor magnification level is best for beading
and jewelry making?

Depends how bad your eyes are.

Or...do you even like an optivisor?

Don't use one, if you don't need one.

or would a flexible arm magnifier be
better?

Same advice, don't use one, if you don't need one.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old December 10th 03, 04:47 PM

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:05:11 +0000, A.J.Martin wrote:

Hello friends,
I want to get my wife something for her jewelry making hobby for Christmas.
Can anyone recommend which optivisor magnification level is best for beading
and jewelry making?
Or...do you even like an optivisor? or would a flexible arm magnifier be
better?
Thanks to you all.
Andy

Also consider the little soft plastic half-moon magnifiers
that you can get at the drug store. You simply wet these
and place them inside a pair of glasses. They stay in place
surprisingly well -- I can even wash mine without moving them.

I have one pair of glasses with these magnifiers set up for computing, one
pair for jewelry making. You can set the magnifiers anywhere on the
inside of the eyeglass lens, which is very convenient. They can also
be placed inside welding filters and safety glasses. They can
be peeled and moved if you don't like a setup. Get a
couple of strengths for flexibility in experimentation.
They run about $10 USD per pair.

Cheers, m at http://www.mbstevens.com/

Old December 10th 03, 04:47 PM

On 10-Dec-2003, "A.J.Martin" wrote:

Hello friends,
I want to get my wife something for her jewelry making hobby for
Christmas.
Can anyone recommend which optivisor magnification level is best for
beading
and jewelry making?
Or...do you even like an optivisor? or would a flexible arm magnifier be
better?
Thanks to you all.
Andy

I LOVE mine, and my wife keeps stealing it so she must like it also.
The lower magnifactions are easier to use.
Les
Old December 10th 03, 04:47 PM
EL

I don't like optivisors because I don't like having something tight around
my head, but I love my opticaid. If she already wears glasses, I'd go for
one of those. Mine is a 2.00 X, which works nicely for me, but YMMV..

see http://www.edroyproducts.com/opticaid1.html for examples (not a
recommendation, just the first thing that popped up on Google).

I had one of those hang around the neck magnifiers and they're worthless. I
haven't tried a flexible arm magnifier because I like to be able to move
around when I bead.

Elise

--
This is a post-only address.
Send replies to e_lewis AT bellsouth DOT net

Old December 11th 03, 03:03 AM
Mark

Optivisor's have glass lens and most others have plastic , of course they
are cheaper.
The higher ( stronger) magnification the closer the working distance.
I have a # 4 lens for regular use and a # 7 for stone setting ( you can get
one headband/visor and get different magnification lens and swap them out
( 2 nuts and screws ) . FYI ......I have one of each.
Checking the Rio tool book ......... $24 plus shipping of course
#2 20" working distance 1.5 X power ( 113-200 )
#3 14" " " 1.75X ( -201)
#4 10" " " 2X ( -206 )
There are more power options than that but my guess that one of those would
work.
Page 302 Rio Grande Tool Catalog 2003
1-800-545.6566
Mark
No I don't work for Rio....I do spend a lot of $$$ there though -

Old December 11th 03, 03:03 AM
Liz

I use a flexible arm magnifier with a light. I found that I could just use
the additional light and it was great. In combination with the magnifier it
is really useful for those seed bead projects. I dont like anything
attached to my head so it works out great.
Liz

Old December 11th 03, 06:05 AM
Fishbre396

I don't like optivisor type aids at all. I use very strong reading glasses-
prescription- mid range upper lense, and close up lower lense.

I find that with the optivisor type aid, I can see fine, but by the end of the
day, I feel like I'm sea sick.
Old December 15th 03, 04:52 AM
Carl West

Fishbre396 wrote:

I don't like optivisor type aids at all. I use very strong reading glasses-
prescription- mid range upper lense, and close up lower lense.

I find that with the optivisor type aid, I can see fine, but by the end of the
day, I feel like I'm sea sick.

I wear an optivisor #5 on my head all 12-hour shift, it's up and down
constantly.

I find that I usually close my eyes when I'm flipping it up or down. eases the
transition.

I have a terrible time with it if I try to wear my glasses under it though
(near-sighted). I think it's because the lenses in the optivisor are closer
together than my glasses lenses and angled in (as they should be for close work)
and that makes a mis-alignment in the glasses/opyivisor lens system that just
hurts.

I opted for the extra flip-down monocle, and find it fairly useful, roughly
worth the hassle of having a 'hook' on the front of my head that catches on
worklights and such.

For _really_ close work, it's the 14x jeweler's eye-loupe.

One counter-monkey's perspective.

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

If I had six hours to chop down a tree,
I'd spend the first four sharpening the axe.
- Abraham Lincoln