Kitchen Cabinet Hardware

Old February 8th 04, 12:22 AM
Kennor

Default Kitchen Cabinet Hardware

I'm building kitchen cabinets and I am putting in 6 stained glass doors. The
rest of the doors I am using European style self closing hinges, but after
using them, I'm afraid they close too quickly and could break glass doors.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I've looked for slow self closing hinges, but haven't had any luck.
Thanks to all that reply.

Old February 8th 04, 04:11 AM
Javahut

"Kennor" wrote in message
m...
I'm building kitchen cabinets and I am putting in 6 stained glass doors.

The
rest of the doors I am using European style self closing hinges, but after
using them, I'm afraid they close too quickly and could break glass doors.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I've looked for slow self closing hinges, but haven't had any luck.
Thanks to all that reply.

Can you take the hinge apart and take the spring out?

Old February 8th 04, 03:06 PM
Mike Firth

I work in a hardware store and work with several kinds of self closing
hinges, European & American hidden and American exposed.
If your doors can't stand the shock of these relatively flimsy hinges,
then you are in trouble. You should have have rubber bumpers stuck on the
frame of the door to reduce the noise and shock of wood hitting abruptly on
wood, but your doors are going to be subject to a lot more force than that
spring when someone pushes the door shut with a hand or shoulder after
getting something out.
The only way I know of reducing the speed of closing is to use a friction
holder like those used on lids that lift up. I am not aware of anyone
making a built in friction device in a hinge.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
m...

Old February 11th 04, 01:03 AM
Andy

I've built hundreds of cabinet door inserts and have never had anyone
need a repair. What you have to do is to just close the door gently.
It's an easy habit to get into.

Andy

"Kennor" wrote in message om...
I'm building kitchen cabinets and I am putting in 6 stained glass doors. The
rest of the doors I am using European style self closing hinges, but after
using them, I'm afraid they close too quickly and could break glass doors.
Anyone have any recommendations?
I've looked for slow self closing hinges, but haven't had any luck.
Thanks to all that reply.

Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Glass 0 February 6th 04 04:51 PM
Hardware store update Harry Beads 10 December 22nd 03 11:15 PM
FA: Glass scrap/strips and some hardware (lampshade related) Howard Glass 0 December 11th 03 03:05 AM
Changing Kitchen Cabinet Glass Sheellah Glass 8 August 23rd 03 11:24 PM