Easy cake recipe

Old October 21st 03, 04:45 PM
SlinkyToy

Default Easy cake recipe

I make this with home-ground whole wheat pastry flour (gosh, I love my
Whispermill!), you can use any low-gluten flour, however.

Sift flour, measure 2C. Resift with 2t baking powder and a pinch of
salt.

Cream 1 stick butter (yes boys and girls, use real butter, it tastes
better!) with 3/4c sugar. When the butter/sugar is fluffy and you
cannot see any sugar grains add 3 egg YOLKS and beat until bright
yellow and fluffy.

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture with about 3T of milk, stir to combine;
add another 1/3 of the flour mixture with a bit of milk, stir; add the
last portion of flour with enough additional milk to form a batter
that is thicker than pancake batter but still somewhat pourable.

Spread in an 8x8 square pan (butter and flour the pan if it is a
non-stick) and bake at 350F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick
comes out clean.

Frost as desired, or stand in the kitchen and eat it straight out of
the pan.

Variations on a theme:

Reduce egg yolks by one, add a small ripe but not brown and icky
mashed banana. Leave the egg count at 3, add grated and drained
zucchini. Or add well-drained pineapple bits after the batter is
made.

Add to the second sifting a teaspoon of your favorite spices. I like
cinnamon and mace.

Use vanilla sugar instead of plain sugar. Subtle difference in the
flavor of the cake. Make vanilla sugar by storing regular sugar in an
airtight container with a vanilla bean. Vanilla beans aren't cheap,
but you can flavor LOTS and LOTS of sugar with a single bean.

Reduce the flour by 2T and add 2T cocoa powder to the second sifting.
Chocolate cake

Fancy adult cake: use your favorite adult hard liquor (rum? gran
marnier? something else?) in place of the last addition of milk.
Alternatively, make the cake as written and sprinkle the booze onto
the warm cake. More booze flavor that way!

Fancy kid cake: Divide the batter, use different food colors to color
each portion. When putting in the pan try to keep each color
separate, then marble the edges together with a knife or skewer (or a
spare DPN!). The color combinations are endless - ask my son.
Old October 21st 03, 06:56 PM
Els van Dam

In article , SlinkyToy
wrote:

Slinky so early in the morning with all this good tasting stuff to eat.

This recipe sounds like the one I have been making for years, only I use
one egg and more backing powder. I spread it on a cookie sheet and slice
apples on top, top that with marmalade (home made by DHO and bake in a
375° F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, cut into slices and dust with icing
sugar if wanted. Serve with a freshly breewed cup of coffee. Do go for a
half an hour walk to get tid of the extra weight you gained, because you
ate more than one piece, This stuff always tasts like more......

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....