OT Chocolate Volcanos

Old October 29th 04, 04:04 AM
NanaV

Default OT Chocolate Volcanos

By the way, I get the "Baker's Catalogue" (not advertising, not affiliated,
etc.) for a mail order bakery supply place. This months had a special
"custard cup" that was used to bake an item called a "Chocolate Volcano".
It is advertised as a "Brownie like cake served warm and, when cut into,
releases a river of warm chocolate lava". I'm SO tempted to order the set.
The picture alone makes me drool (not a pretty sight).

Nana

Old October 29th 04, 04:35 AM
Sharon Harper

Don't stress too much - I remember these from my Nigella cookbook. Hang on
for a sec.....she made one big one in a bundt tin. But then she also made
something similar and used the big muffin pans. They are soooo goood.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

Old October 29th 04, 12:17 PM
Mika

Oh Nana, we had a thing like that at Chili's one time. Ooooohhhhh it was
soooooooooo good. Rich and chocolatey and warm and gooey. It's making me
hungry just thinking about it. By all means make some and enjoy them.

Mika

Old October 29th 04, 01:42 PM
Allyson Brown

I have a recipe like that and I just use ramekins to bake them in. Let me
know by email if you want me to dig out the recipe for you. Then you could
just buy normal ramekins.
Warning though, they are extremely rich. 3/4 guests couldn't finish their
serving because it was so rich!!!
allyson

Old October 29th 04, 02:31 PM
nana2b

I had this delicious dessert at a restaurant called Mercury in Dallas. Yum!
Very rich! Linda

Old October 29th 04, 03:06 PM
KJ

All right.....we need the recipe here! Anyone want to ante up??? Not that
I need to eat one of course, but it might be fun to drool over like Nana
has!
Kathyl
remove "nospam-" before mchsi

Old October 29th 04, 04:30 PM
GwenO MS

Found this one with a Google Search:

I designed this cake with kids in mind. Its fun dome shape can be transformed
into a flower, a ladybug, or a spider, and the filling is sweet and simple. If
you prefer, bake it in standard cake pans instead of a bowl, and frost it with
a traditional butter cream icing.

SERVES 12

Chocolate Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Cream Filling
1 cup heavy whipping cream 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Glaze
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

------

1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped, as an accompaniment
Fresh edible flowers, such as pansies, lilacs, or nasturtiums, for garnish
Bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish.
To prepare the cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and a
pale yellow color. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each
addition.
Add 1 cup of the flour, the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder, and
beat well.
Add the sour cream and beat well.
Add the remaining flour and beat until smooth.
Pour the batter into a well-greased 4-quart metal bowl and bake until a knife
inserted in the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 10
minutes, and then flip the bowl over onto a rack to release the cake. Let cool
completely.
To prepare the filling and fill the cake:

Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until the cream holds soft peaks.
Using a long, serrated knife, split the cake by cutting off a 1/2-inch-thick
slice from the cake's flat base. Turn the cake over so the flat side is facing
up.
Carefully scoop out the inside of the cake, setting aside 1 cup of cake crumbs,
leaving a 1-inch-thick shell of cake all around.
Gently fold the reserved cake crumbs into the whipped cream.
Fill the hollowed-out cake with the whipped cream mixture, set the
1/2-inch-thick base on top, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To prepare the glaze:

Heat the cream in a saucepan over high heat just until it comes to a boil.
Meanwhile, place the chocolate in the bowl of a food processor and process
until finely chopped.
With the machine running, pour the hot cream through the feed tube and process
until smooth. Transfer the glaze to a bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
To glaze the cake:

Place the cake, round side up, on a rack set in a baking sheet. Pour the glaze
over the cake, letting it run down the sides to cover the cake completely.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.

To serve:

Transfer the cake to a platter. Garnish with whipped cream, fresh flowers, and
chocolate shavings.

Old October 29th 04, 11:40 PM
hellofromsmd

For an easy but less fancy substitute try Giradelli
Chocolate-chocolate chip muffin mix from the grocery store. They are
very moist and melty when warm. Despite being just a "muffin" they
seem much more like dessert--especially with ice cream. I keep a box
of the mix in the pantry for chocolate emergencies.

Sonya

"NanaV" wrote in message ...
By the way, I get the "Baker's Catalogue" (not advertising, not affiliated,
etc.) for a mail order bakery supply place. This months had a special
"custard cup" that was used to bake an item called a "Chocolate Volcano".
It is advertised as a "Brownie like cake served warm and, when cut into,
releases a river of warm chocolate lava". I'm SO tempted to order the set.
The picture alone makes me drool (not a pretty sight).

Nana

Chocolate (was Oh Bother!) Kathy Applebaum Quilting 0 August 11th 04 02:23 PM
OT - Truffles recipes frood Quilting 6 December 16th 03 02:45 AM
quilts, quilt books, chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 July 10th 03 11:39 PM