Advice needed on Schmetz machine needles

Old February 18th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Advice needed on Schmetz machine needles

I have been searcing for the best prices on sm needles. I have
decided to buy in quantities of 100, so I want to do it right! I can
save from 50% to 75% per needle by buying in quantity.... more $$$ for
batiks! VBG Here's the info from one site for the types of needles I
am considering-

Machine Embroidery Needles
The Machine Embroidery needle has a larger eye and a special design in
the scarf to prevent shredding and thread breaks. This needle is most
appropriate for rayon embroidery threads.

Metallic (or Metallica) Needles
The Metallica Needle is constructed with a larger eye and larger
groove to provide trouble-free embroidery with metallic threads.

Topstitch Needles
The Topstitch Needle is extra sharp, has an extra large eye and has a
large groove to accommodate topstitch thread.

Is there any reason I couldn't order topstitch or metallic and use it
for everything- piecing, free motion embroidery, satin stitch,
quilting, etc.? It would seem that the charachteristics wouldn't be
"harmful" to sewing other than it's specific use and might even be
more "protective" of any thread I would use.

Any comments or suggestions? TIA

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 19th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Leslie, I bought my hundred from www.kapres.com . They're the green band
quilting needle. This needle does a nice job on just about any stitching
except, of course, the rare pair of jeans that I agree (grudgingly) to hem.
There's a pack or two of all the other ones here but they don't get to see
much action. YMMV Polly

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote I have been searcing for the best

Old February 19th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Have you checked www.kapres.com? I don't know why you couldn't use the
metallica or topstitch needles for piecing too.
I'll check my Libby Lehman book and see what she says.
KJ

oups.com...

Old February 19th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Well, geez....you would think after all these years I would learn to read
all the posts before responding. I just put that link in another message.
I guess she'll get the point!!! heheheh.
This is also this site. http://shoppersrule.com/c/CSNRMA/index.html
current sale needles
http://shoppersrule.com/c/Sewmall31/index.html make an offer on these

KJ

Old February 19th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article .com,
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Is there any reason I couldn't order topstitch or metallic and use it
for everything- piecing, free motion embroidery, satin stitch,
quilting, etc.? It would seem that the charachteristics wouldn't be
"harmful" to sewing other than it's specific use and might even be
more "protective" of any thread I would use.

Any comments or suggestions? TIA

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Nope, no reason. I use metallica needles for both piecing and quilting
and they work great. I can never balance the threads with those stupid
"quilting" needles but no trouble having navy in the bobbin and white on
the top with metallica needles.

marcella
Old February 20th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

Here's lots of info about sewing machine needles -
http://www.webofthread.com/Needles.pdf
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com