OT Chicken's on fire OT

Old June 30th 04, 10:06 PM
Christina Peterson

Default OT Chicken's on fire OT

The smoke is getting worse, as is our phone line. Last week the phone began
getting weird. Increased static, internet connection iffy, and the phone is
ringing once and then going to a dial tone. Now, since Saturday, the static
is severe, and starting Sunday morning I haven't been able to get on the
internet at all.

The Troopers came pounding at our door Sunday night to ask if anyone here
dialed 911 and hung up. They searched the house (for battered bodies).
They weren't sure exactly which phone had called 911, only that they had
originated on this small phone (multiple) line. Apparently the cable here
sent out a bunch of signals that were interpreted as 911 by the phone, so
the cops knew there probably was no problem. Having needed help before,
having the Troopers respond to a request for help, even if erroneously and
inconveniently, didn't bother me, beyond disturbing my sleep.

And while they were here they told us the forest fire causing all this
smoke was in Chicken. An old mining town, 100-150 air miles away. It's so
thick now, that most of the time we can't see more than a couple hundred
feet away. The light is yellow, and now blots out the sun completely. Eyes
hurt. Breathing is hard. Stinks. Well, what else could you expects from
something called "the Chicken Fire".

Tina

Old June 30th 04, 10:23 PM
Marisa Cappetta

What a mess Tina! I've been smack in the middle of a forest fire (as in,
pack up and get ready to evacuate!) so I know what you're going through.
Hopefully weather conditions will improve soon and the smoke will die down.
Marisa AU/NZ

Old July 1st 04, 12:17 AM
roxan

So sorry to hear about the fires and the problems you face. I hope things
get better soon.
Roxan

Old July 1st 04, 12:57 AM
Jalynne

That is so funny (strange) about the 911 call...the same exact thing happened to us
this winter after a particularly bad storm. It rather shook me up, though, to have a
sheriff arrive a couple weeks after our idiot nephew threatened to call Child
Protective Services (because our house is cluttered and DD is on the thin side...LONG
story). I was quite relieved that it was no big deal.

Hang in there...fires are scary...big hugs on their way up there to you.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old July 1st 04, 05:58 AM
Christina Peterson

Thank you again, my friends. I am so very grateful for your support. It's
funny to have it be light all day and night, with this opal yellow sky, but
not having a lot of actual light.

The return of my usual communication has brought me a sore ear from all the
phone calls, made and received, but I feel less "lost" or "foggy". And the
cooler air has given me enough energy to begin to catch up on normal
maintenance. I should finally be able to sleep tonight.

(But I think the subject line is funny, and nobody laughed, and it's way to
serious not to laugh).

Tina

Old July 2nd 04, 06:02 AM
Kalera Stratton

OH GOOD LORD.

What's next, a tidal wave?

I shouldn't say that.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old July 2nd 04, 06:25 AM
starlia

Oh please don't. Every time I hear about anything up there my stomach ties
up in knots. My babies live there.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com