continental knitting.

Old September 22nd 03, 05:29 PM
Norma

Default continental knitting.

Hi gang. I have just tried knitting a square, using both the regular
knitting technique and continental. What I did was knit regular across, and
then continental on the way back. After these 2 rows, I changed colour. I've
never tried using 2 colours before, and this kept them from twisting. Is
that the way everyone does it, when you combine the techniques? Any
suggestions?

--
Star love,
Norma

Old September 23rd 03, 04:43 AM
Norma

Lucille, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean to knit 2 or 4
rows per colour? and do you knit the same both directions? Do I knit with
main colour 2 rows using the regular with the yarn in the right hand and
then with second colour 2 rows continental? Boy, I feel really dumb on this
one. So much easier to do it after seeing it.

--
Star love,
Norma
"Lucille" wrote in message
t...
Something to try next--Do a square using two colors in a 2 x 2 or 4 x 4
color change. Keep one color in your right hand (English Style) and the
other in your left (Continental Style.) That's the way I do it when I do
any pattern with 2 colors and it's a very good way to practice..
Lucille

Old September 23rd 03, 02:59 PM
Lucille

No, I'm not talking about rows, I'm talking about stitches in the same row.

I'm sorry, I didn't really explain what I meant very well . What I mean is
to do 2 stitches in red, then two stitches in green (or whatever colors turn
you on) and hold the red yarn in your right hand and throw the yarn over the
needle English style, and the green in your left hand and knit Continental
style. You will find that the colors automatically twist themselves so
there are no holes and it's a really good way to get used to being able to
switch your knitting methods back and forth. This is the method I use when
doing a fair isle pattern, which is often only two colors in a line.

I'll see if I can find a better explanation of what I'm talking about and
post it for you.

Lucille

.. .

Old September 23rd 03, 11:43 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Lucille"
wrote:

No, I'm not talking about rows, I'm talking about stitches in the same row.

I'm sorry, I didn't really explain what I meant very well . What I mean is
to do 2 stitches in red, then two stitches in green (or whatever colors turn
you on) and hold the red yarn in your right hand and throw the yarn over the
needle English style, and the green in your left hand and knit Continental
style. You will find that the colors automatically twist themselves so
there are no holes and it's a really good way to get used to being able to
switch your knitting methods back and forth. This is the method I use when
doing a fair isle pattern, which is often only two colors in a line.

I'll see if I can find a better explanation of what I'm talking about and
post it for you.

Lucille

Lucille sounds like what I did for the two 6x6 paches for Karen. In the
Readers Digest Complete Guild to needlework they call it stranding and
weaving. You work two colours in the same row of knitting. This can be
knitting or purling, although going a round in a circle with knitting is
the easiest.

You right hand holds one colour yarn and your left hand the other. When
it comes to twisting the yarns without putting either thread down you hold
the yarn you do not use up and out of the way and let the other pass by.
Once the colour needed is knitted you bring the other end down again and
the two threads have twisted or woven themselves in and out at the back of
you knitting. No long loops. It takes about two 6x6 patches to get used
to it, but I must say I love it. The bargain is that you learn "the"
second knitting technique....either Continental or English knitting.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old September 24th 03, 01:23 AM
Lucille

Thanks Els. You've save me because I'm obviously not the best teacher. I
can show you how to do something but I don't think I explain things very
clearly. Your explanation is great and is exactly what I was talking about.
Lucille

In article ,

Old September 24th 03, 03:03 AM
Norma

Ok Lucille and Els. I am going to try doing it the way you have said. Hope I
understood you correctly. I'll lat you know how it goes. Thanks for being
patient with me.

--
Star love,
Norma
"Lucille" wrote in message
t...
Thanks Els. You've save me because I'm obviously not the best teacher. I
can show you how to do something but I don't think I explain things very
clearly. Your explanation is great and is exactly what I was talking

about.
Lucille

In article ,

Old September 25th 03, 08:50 PM
NoraBalcer

Well, I've knit many things with more than one color and never did it that way.
Why not you ask, well, I'm left handed and that hand is just to dumb to do
anything so I knit right handed, the only thing the left hand knows how to do
is hold the needle.

Hugs,

Nora