What kind of batting do you use?

Old February 15th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default What kind of batting do you use?

One time maybe 5 years ago I bought some wool batting off a roll at
Joann's. I found that the other day when I was sorting out the sewing
room. Not sure if they have that any more or who even made it. You
might check for that for a small piece to test?
Taria

"KT in Mich" wrote in message ...

Thanks Taria. Next trip into town I'll pick up some Hobbs wool to try
on a small quilt. And some Hobbs 80/20 for comparison.
You just have to rub it in with the 83 you've got in So. Cal, huh?
;-) Sure hope we get that kind of temp this summer. Last summer it
was very mild, mostly in the 70s (which I love) but 80s is much better
for swimming and boating.

KT.

Old February 16th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I use mostly Hobbs 80/20 in my quilts. You can always layer multiple
quilts or use both quilts and blankets. We are in a cold climate, but
the bedroom in our condo is quite warm. We have only one quilt on our
bed, but we each have a smaller quilt at the foot of the bed that we can
pull up if we get chilly. When we were in a house, our bedroom was
quite cool and we had a down comforter (and sometimes small quilts over
that). You can always piece a cover for a down comforter, too.

Julia in MN

On 2/14/2014 8:42 AM, KT in Mich wrote:
With the bitter cold we are experiencing in most of the US right now,
it's been a good time to "test" all those quilts we've made. Big
disappointment for me. With one exception, I've always used Warm and
Natural needled cotton. I like it because it can be quilted up to 10
inches apart. But I don't like the thinness or its drape, and now have
discovered there is NO warmth to it at all; like sleeping under a sheet.
So I'm gonna change, especially for quilts used for wrapping me in. But
to what, in order to get at least a bit of loft, nice drape (hang), and
WARMTH. I know I'll have to give up the 10 inch quilting but that's ok
as long as I can still get about 6 inches apart. What do you use or
recommend?

KT. in MI

Old February 16th 14, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich[_2_]

"Julia in MN" wrote in
message ...
I use mostly Hobbs 80/20 in my quilts.

Am definitely going to try the Hobbs brand next. I usually use just a
quilt to cover up when I take a nap in the living room, so I don't
want to fool with more than one coverup and that's why I want good
heat from it. Thanks for your ideas!
KT.

Old February 16th 14, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

and I hear that hobbs if from Texas!

"KT in Mich" wrote in message ...

"Julia in MN" wrote in
message ...

Old February 16th 14, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Hancock's of Paducah used to have a chart of the various battings in their catalog- I couldn't find the chart on their website. I saw they also have down battings for sale online. I wasn't brave enough to look at the prices for down. ;-)

I did a search for "comparison of quilt battings" and got a bunch of hits.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 17th 14, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley

On 15/02/2014 19:14, Patricia Storey wrote:
In article ,
says...

I am a fan of regular 80/20 batting.
If something is not warm enough, I usually layer, because my own body temp can change so rapidly. What is comfortable now isn't, in 10 minutes. I am trying to work on a flimsy for my bed, that will have no batting at all. In the winters it will cover the extra blankets on the bed.

Ginger in CA
[whoo-hoo! hoping this goes through!

I see you across the pond, too! Good to see you - missed you.

I finish a quilt so rarely that I hardly know what batting I use.
However, for all my wallhanging type quilts, I use fusible: I really
love that for the purpose. I think it would be too stiff for a cosy bed
quilt; and I doubt it would be warm.

If I ever do antoher bed quilt, I will try wool of some sort. Any of
you experts know whether it still needs pre-washing?

Pat on the Green

What about pure silk. I have a double bed size silk batting. Never got
around to using it and eyesight not very good with cataracts forming but
not ready to be removed.

I also have a silk filled duvet that I do not use because I found it too
warm. However it is packed away in case we ever get power cuts.

we are fortunate that the floods are not affecting us because we live
640 feet above sea level.
Hugs
Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk

Bamboo Batting - Soy Batting - pros and cons please DiMa Quilting 6 October 14th 08 09:01 AM
I'm kind new here. Donna Baliva Yarn 3 December 6th 06 09:05 PM
thanks for the kind welcome wendy Quilting 3 May 6th 05 03:10 PM
Kind-of-ad: Charlie Beads 2 June 14th 04 08:13 PM
OT well kind of. LOL Harry Beads 3 February 18th 04 12:40 AM