Continental Style knitting

Old March 1st 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Default Continental Style knitting

Linda D. wrote:
On Feb 28, 12:14 pm, suzee wrote:
The videos are misleading. I don't make such large movements with my
right hand, it barely leaves the needle. And the fastest knitter knits
English style.

Check youtube for different ways `throwers' knit; you'll find that many
of them don't throw. Here's a few to get you started, the first one is
similar to how I knit, and also read the comments -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCO8qALs4-whttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSRqavicgchttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTmm_EwZq0

sue

Hi Sue,

The worlds fastest knitter knits Continental Style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFi0n...eature=related

The World's second fastest and the fastest No. American knitter knits
English

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-B4...eature=related

The UK's fastest knitter knits English Style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEh7acrr5o

I've tried knitting Continental Style, but am slow as molasses, and
need lots more practice. I'm much more comfortable knitting English
Style, and that's the way I was taught.

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Then I think you should knit english and practice will improve your speed.

sue
Old March 2nd 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Lisa
How do you Know ???? On Feb 28, 8:10*pm, "L"
wrote:
I KNOW 'continental style' knitting (where the yarn is held in the left
hand, as in crochet) is faster than 'American style' (where you hold the
yarn in your right hand and 'throw' it over the needle). I've seen the
video's.

I have been kn itting almost 60 years , i learned the method of
Throwing the thread , which my late mother and her friends called the
`French way `, while the other way , holding thread in left hand , was
called by them the `German way`. with time every method one uses
becomes faster ,,, Nothing to do with the method !!!

20 years ago i saw [in an airport] how a lady from South America
knitted with 2 colors, and she use both `methods`, every hand holding
a different color , she showed me her `method` and thus i aquired the
other method. I still preffer the throwing method , it is easy
familiar and SUITS ME !!!! ONLY when i work with more that one color i
use both methods !!!!

You should choose the method you feel easy with , not the method
others tell you about !!!!
In every method PRACTICE makes for faster and nicer knitting !!!
All the best
mirjam
Old March 2nd 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"suzee" wrote in message
L wrote:
I KNOW 'continental style' knitting (where the yarn is held in the left
hand, as in crochet) is faster than 'American style' (where you hold the
yarn in your right hand and 'throw' it over the needle). I've seen the
video's.

The videos are misleading. I don't make such large movements with my right
hand, it barely leaves the needle. And the fastest knitter knits English
style.

But, oh, the learning!

snipped

Check youtube for different ways `throwers' knit; you'll find that many of
them don't throw. Here's a few to get you started, the first one is
similar to how I knit, and also read the comments -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCO8qALs4-w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xSRqavicgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTmm_EwZq0

sue

Sue,
Thanks so much for the videos. I knit much like the first video as well (tho
not as fast). The second video, I think, has real possibilities for
increasing my speed. I find I am also holding less tension in my left hand
for some reason when I 'throw' with only my index finger, and not my whole
hand.

I'll keep practicing!

As I prepare to venture into things like lace and intarsia, I can see the
value of knowing more than one method.

Old March 2nd 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
L wrote:

snipped
I have knitted for 28 years. I have been knitting continental for about
15 years. I found that eventually it became a lot faster than the English
method. It did take a while.

Dennis

Thanks for the personal experience. I was beginning to think I might not be
able to break my throwing habit ;-)

Old March 2nd 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Mar 1, 9:32*am, suzee wrote:
Linda D. wrote:
On Feb 28, 12:14 pm, suzee wrote:
[...]

I am pretty fast knitting English style, not as fast as the "fastest
knitters", but fast nonetheless.

I wanted to learn the Continental style of knitting for fun, and I
remember my Mom would switch back and forth depending on how her hands
were feeling. I guess she found one method used different muscles
than the other, it wasn't to gain speed.

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old March 2nd 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Mar 1, 10:18*pm, wrote:
Lisa
How do you Know ???? On Feb 28, 8:10*pm, wrote:
[...]

Mirjam,

I am taking a class at the end of the month to learn that method of
Fair Isle knitting. I'm sure it will be fun to learn something new!

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada
Old March 2nd 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On Mar 2, 10:42*am, "Linda D." wrote:
On Mar 1, 10:18*pm, wrote:

[...]

take care, *Linda D. in B.C., Canada- Hide quoted text -

I've been knitting 40 years, and learned from the Learn How Book, so I
started out with English-style -- except I cannot do the finger-flick
to get the yarn around the needle. Left hand has to hold both needles
while right hand lets go and wraps the yarn.

Thirty years ago, a new friend who'd learned to knit while in Germany
showed me the "German" style, and I learned how to do the knit stitch
Continental style from her. She taught me to hold the yarn the same
way one does for crocheting, no extra wraps around the forefinger and
the forefinger held low. Then she moved away -- and I had to figure
out for myself how to purl that way!

I find Continental much easier and faster and relaxing. Especially
when ribbing! I use both methods when doing Fair Isle, though, one
color in each hand.
Old March 2nd 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Linda D. wrote:

When I discovered circular needles, I had to switch to Continental
stitch, but as I am holding both needles then, I am not nearly so fast.
However, if I am knitting on a plane where I don't want to jab my
seatmate with the needles, Continental style is necessary! Also, it is
amazing how many stitches you can cram onto a 14" straight - I once knit
a triangular shawl on them - but for some very wide projects, long circs
are just more convenient.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Why did you feel the need to switch to the Continental Style of
knitting when you work with circular needles?

99% of the time I use circular needles and always knit English Style.
I'm just not sure why you would need to switch styles.

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada

As I mentioned, when I knit English syle I do it with the right hand
needle tucked firmly under my arm. It is not possible to do this with
circs, so I found it easier just to switch to Continental style than to
try to retrain my fingers to hold the needle as well as manipulating the
yarn. After all, in crochet I hold the yarn in my left hand. Note, I
have not yet tried to do two-color work in circs, that would be a major
challenge, as I, too, keep a yarn in each hand in two-color work on
straights.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old March 3rd 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

wrote:
[...]

The lady always has the best advice.
Old March 3rd 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

L wrote:

snipped
I have knitted for 28 years. I have been knitting continental for
about 15 years. I found that eventually it became a lot faster than
the English method. It did take a while.

Dennis

Thanks for the personal experience. I was beginning to think I might not
be able to break my throwing habit ;-)

It is hard to get used to continental Lisa. Have fun!

Slipperiness and Continental style Harlan Messinger Yarn 9 February 2nd 07 02:44 PM
knitting style [email protected] Yarn 6 December 21st 06 12:37 AM
Old style knitting Yarn 24 January 14th 06 06:06 PM
continental knitting. Norma Yarn 6 September 25th 03 08:50 PM
Question on "Continental " and "English" knitting techniques SlinkyToy Yarn 19 July 17th 03 09:36 AM