Newbie on board

Old February 11th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
StitchingNut

Default Newbie on board

Hi, fellow stitchers,

just wanted to introduce myself. I am a Designer from Australia. Embroidery
& Cross Stitch has now published quite a lot of my designs. My main focus is
on Hardanger, or Hardanger combined with other stitches. And I love to work
on linen with these yummy silks. Hmmm, they truly are my favourites. I
prefer to work with variegated threads and create colourful Hardanger. Have
just started a complete set of birth stone samplers, which will include lots
of sparkle and silks. Oh, there are just not enough hours in the day to
stitch, especially when working full time, and just not enough hands to do
all the things I want to do at the same time.

Look forward to chat with you guys and exchange a lot of tips, tricks and
ideas.

Billie
www.myenchanting.com

Old February 12th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Welcome! It's been quite some time since a designer has joined us. Are
you familiar with Sue Strom? She has had her work in E&CS, but I think
it's been awhile, now.

So very glad you decided to post. I understand about there not being
enough hours in a day to do all that creative people want to do!!

Again, welcome.
Dianne

--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/forum
Old February 12th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
StitchingNut

Thanks for the welcome.

I know about Sue Strom, but this was before my time . Have been
collecting E&CS for a long time. I started to get published about 2 years
ago. Well, it does take some time to find out through trial and error what
you really like, and what you can do best.

Am I glad that not everyone is the same.

Happy Stitching
Sibille

Old February 12th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Quite a few that post here also do Hardanger. I dabble in it, but
haven't done any in a year. Love it, but I'm old fashioned and prefer
the white-on-white look. So, you'll have to convince me to change
grin. I'm open as long as the thread isn't too hard to come by.

Dianne

Old February 13th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/12/07 4:41 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski ,in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with
Quite a few that post here also do Hardanger. I dabble in it, but
haven't done any in a year. Love it, but I'm old fashioned and prefer
the white-on-white look. So, you'll have to convince me to change
grin. I'm open as long as the thread isn't too hard to come by.

Dianne

I agree with you Dianne, except a friend did a tablecloth and all the
blocks etc were done in over dyed blue through green. It is very
effective and lovely to see. It forced me to revise my thinking.

I see the point in either. I have and love the look of the traditional, but
have recently done some that's in overdyes, and has a totally different
look. It's a Michelle Ink Chatelaine - that I bought the chart years ago.
Michelle taught a mini-class in filling stitches at our area "stitch-away" -
and it's all set to be done in variegated threads. After doing some of the
practice - doodling the different fillings - I kind of like it in the
varietal. So, now I'm thinking about what color I'll do the "real" thing
in, and find some appropriate linen, etc.

If you're curious about the piece - I found it on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Butterflies-Snow...ack_W0QQitemZ2
70055067666QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

ellice

Old February 13th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
StitchingNut

No one is going to convince you ).

When I talk about colours, I don't necessarily mean colourful. I prefer the
more subtle, variegated or overdyed threads with a nice linen. I believe
that Hardanger still should be showing its elegant subtleness through the
stitches and the needleweaving, too much and overpowering colour would take
the effect away. There are some really colourful Hardanger pieces around,
especially from Romania and Hungary, but that in my eyes is more country
type style embroidery for traditional costumes for example.

I love the Caron Threads, and am also now working with Dinky Dyes, which are
perfectly suited for Hardanger. I wouldn't use stark reds or greens combined
with other colours, but it does make a difference in appearance.Check out
the doilies on my website, the bookmark or my cushion cover, they are all
done with variegated threads, but they could as well be embroidered cream on
cream.

However, lately I saw a piece done in red on red linen, and it looked
absolutely fantastic.

Happy Stitching
Sibille
www.myenchanting.com

Old February 14th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
carol

Hi,

Welcome to the group.

When I teach hardanger i suggest the newcomer uses a colour, but a
subtle one, so that they can see what they are doing. I try to steer
them away from navy or bottle green, for example, as the little nibs
that are left when you do the cutting show and look tatty at the end
of the class.

Once they have the idea, I agree if they want to use colour for lesson
2. I think white on white (or ecru on ecru) looks really lovely, but
have to admit to having been tempted to use the random dyed threads on
some of my models.

Oh and I have to remind the students to breathe when they start
cutting. Most people hold their breath and I don't want anyone passing
out in my classes!

Regards,

Carol Leather
www.needlework-tips-and-techniques.com
www.x-calibredesigns.co.uk

Old February 14th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

carol wrote:

Oh and I have to remind the students to breathe when they start
cutting. Most people hold their breath and I don't want anyone passing
out in my classes!

As a teenager, I had done cutwork pillowcases, and then chickened out
when it came to the actual cutting. My granny never knew they were
supposed to be cut out because they looked just fine as is.

As an adult, I took an EGA class that required cutting, and I knew I
wouldn't pass if I didn't cut. I poured a glass of adult beverage, set
it on the table, and (here's the important part) cut first. If I'd made
a mistake, I could've drowned my sorrows immediately. When I finished
cutting, I celebrated my bravery.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/26/07 -- Classy Lady in Coral (JCS) -- done in purple to
match the companion piece

WIP: housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old February 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
StitchingNut

Hi Carol,

I agree absolutely with you. If you work really dark colours on light
fabric, the little nibs can stand out and look just ugly.

Suble shaded colours are nice, or darker colours on a fabric going with it
in colour.

Yep, cutting can be a challenge. I remember my first hardanger piece, which
still is hanging from the doorknob to my room. Somehow I did manage it, but
a lot of it is wrong and reminds me of the beginnings. But I did breathe.
The trouble is you know you do something irreversible. Can happen to me
still, but now I know how to hide it .

Happy Stitching
Sibille
www.myenchanting.com

oups.com...

Old February 14th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

"carol" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Welcome to the group.

When I teach hardanger i suggest the newcomer uses a colour, but a
subtle one, so that they can see what they are doing. I try to steer
them away from navy or bottle green, for example, as the little nibs
that are left when you do the cutting show and look tatty at the end
of the class.

Once they have the idea, I agree if they want to use colour for lesson
2. I think white on white (or ecru on ecru) looks really lovely, but
have to admit to having been tempted to use the random dyed threads on
some of my models.

Oh and I have to remind the students to breathe when they start
cutting. Most people hold their breath and I don't want anyone passing
out in my classes!

My first Hardanger piece was one of your designs. I don't remember who
taught the class but it was at one of the stitching festivals in Des
Moines (many years ago--'98 or '99). We used a soft country blue (not
exact color name--it was a brand not readily available in the States) on
a sort of dove grey fabric and it was lovely! Oddly enough I've never
photographed the finished/framed piece. I got the stitching done within
a week and did the cutting while watching the Iowa-Iowa State football
game with a group of friends.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader