Yarn crafts and depression

Old September 1st 04, 03:11 PM
Red Rose

Thank you for the replies. I am glad to see I am not the only one.

Old September 1st 04, 05:46 PM
MinnieNeedles

I know what you mean, if I get to a point something just want work out
I put it down go do something else, and ususlly when I get back to it,
it works out just fine..
Marsha

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:44:08 -0400, Dawn Alguard
wrote:

mejane wrote:

I often wonder about people who say knitting is relaxing. I don't find
it relaxing but I am incapable of sitting and doing nothing.

When it's going well, I find crocheting relaxing, but sometimes it makes
me very angry.

Dawn

Old September 1st 04, 06:27 PM
Michelle

red rose wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone here knit, crochet, etc when they are feeling down in the

dumps
and if so do you find it helps to lift your spirits?

Yes to both...BTDT and still doing it! But watch out if a project doesn't
go as it should; I get ticked off! But starting something else, even some
squares for no good reason, will get past that. It's very calming and
concentrating on stitches or patterns can really take your mind off other
things....just don't block out the whole world all the time....it's still
there when you wake up!

--
Michelle in St. John's
NL, Canada

Old September 1st 04, 09:39 PM
Seaspray

I crochet and do cross stitch. I have dabbled into many types of crafting
over the years. I guess that I just love to be creative. I am the kind of
person that does not like to sit and do nothing. I bring my projects with
me everywhere I go. You just never know, right? I find it helps to pass
the time when you are waiting somewhere, or while watching DH's programs.
Sometimes, when I am at the kids activities and do not have anyone to talk
to, it helps me feel better. (I am a little shy) And actually, you can make
friends that way because people will come over and ask you what you are
doing, etc.

Diane

. ..

Old September 1st 04, 10:26 PM
Irishis

My husband has been battling lung cancer for over a year, without crochet to
do there would have been a lot of waiting rooms with worn out carpeting.
Crochet keeps me calm and cool and not pacing the floors.
Erin
. ..

Old September 1st 04, 11:01 PM
Elizabeth

Hi Rose

I knit or crochet when I'm down or worried about something, it helps me to
have something to concentrate on other than whatever is worrying me! So
you're definitely not alone in this

Liz

Old September 2nd 04, 02:54 AM
NoraBalcer

Hi Erin,

Prayers going to you and your husband. Yes, that is exactly how I felt sitting
in the waiting room and it sure helped keep me sane.

Hugs,

Nora
Old September 2nd 04, 02:59 AM
Karen in MN

"red rose" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone here knit, crochet, etc when they are feeling down in the

dumps
and if so do you find it helps to lift your spirits?

Oh my yes!!! I was out all of today and into the evening again with the
never-ending fruitless job search. Tonight I am about ready to knit a tarp
for the car. With size 1 needles.

Karen in MN

Old September 2nd 04, 03:53 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Red Rose - the answer is absolutely !! I think almost everyone on the group
does too. I know if I am feeling unwell or just plain "down" I go for the
knitting and especially for a pattern that needs concentration - then you
cannot think how ill you feel !!! God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

. ..