Your gifts

Old December 27th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara[_2_]

Default Your gifts

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:31:20 -0500, anne wrote:

Did anyone get any stitching related gifts this holiday season?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Only that I gave myself. I ordered Medieval Town Mandala (Chatelaine)
and told my DH he was giving it to me for Hannukah. But I forgot to
order the chart, so I did that yesterday. Can't start it yet anyway,
since I"m not finished with Watergarden. One region of xs and then a
gazillion beads.

Sara
Old December 27th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
"lucille" ) writes:

I have only heard about this yarn; I have never actually knitted anything
with it. It is called Qiana, or something like that, and comes from the
muskox. It is, supposedly, finer that the finest cashmere. It has two
major disadvantages; it is very expensive, and the base color is a dull
brown, so it is difficult to get any nice colours. It is apparently very
good for knitting things to cover the head for people who have lost their
hair
during chemotherapy. Jim.

I forgot about that. It's called quivet and it is soft. I bought some when
I was in Alaska and made a couple of kids hats for gifts. I remember that
it was expensive, but not much else about it so I don't think it made a
particularly great impression on me.

Lucille

Old December 27th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Dec 27, 2:28*am, Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
From Sheepshead Bay to midtown daily. *I attended hairdresser school
on 34th Street down the block from Macy's. *Put it this way, you learn
fast how to fold a giant NY Times into an eighth! *I mostly read on
the subway and I usually got a seat because of how far east I got on.
When I took the train from Kings Highway I never got a seat. *By the
time the D train hit Newkirk it was completely packed. *Oh how I don't
miss those days.
Victoria

Reminiscent of my days in the RAF when I worked in London at the Air
Ministry (aka MOD AIR) in the 1960s. Travelling on the Central Line from
Ruislip Gardens which was almost at the end of the line meant you were
guaranteed a seat on the inward journey. However, travelling back to
Ruislip Gardens after a night shift often meant falling asleep and being
awoken by the guard at Ongar then having to travel all the way back again!

Well, if you traveled that way, I bet you also knew where Ickenham and
Uxbridge are!!They are on the Piccadilly and Metropolitan, I think, but
I would take the Central into town all the time! Did you know RAF
Hillingdon?? Now I am going into OLD history!

Gillian- Hide quoted text -

Gillian, I was based at RAF CME in London for a time and billeted at
RAF Uxbridge hated the journey but there was a wonderful sandwich shop
near CME for a bacon sandwich in the morning and the most wonderful
book shop ever just across the road.
Jan
Old December 27th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Edna in Sydney says...
Does this count?

http://members.optushome.com.au/tech...Seamstressbook

A gift from my daughter.

The cover's intriguing. What's the inside like?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old December 27th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/27/08 1:00 AM, in article
, "Edna" wrote:

"anne" wrote in message
g...
Did anyone get any stitching related gifts this holiday season?

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Does this count?

http://members.optushome.com.au/tech...Seamstressbook

A gift from my daughter.

Edna in Sydney

I want it just based on the cover photo.....

Cheryl

Old December 27th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I found some Stash "holiday" teas at a bargain price and tucked a few in all
my stitchy friends gifts.

Their White Christmas tea is one of my favorites,
especially when I'm feeling under the weather. I always
keep some of it on hand.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 27th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/26/08 4:11 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:15:11 -0800, Maureen Miller
opined:

I only began knitting this past year but love my alpaca socks. They
don't require any elastic to hold them up at the ribbed cuff and they're
SO WARM! I too have a list of family members who want me to knit socks,
jumpers, toques, gloves & scarves for them. I'm starting now for next
Christmas! It's so neat to be able to gift people with something you
love to do, especially when they're so appreciative.

Maureen

The yarn shop I am going to buy shares in (joking) tells me there has
been a knitting revival but I did tell her it was mostly failing
eyesight that made me knit again. OTOH I like being able to sit and
knit without much thought or care, I can't quite do that with
stitching.

That is so true, and I think part of why I like knitting. Not that I don't
have to think when doing complicated patterns, but once I'm going, it just
runs, and I love the feel of the different yarns. Definitely easier on the
eyes. I got to knit at the hockey game yesterday - well at least during the
pre the pros U-18 game that DH was reffing. Sat with the crew setting up TV
and rink stuff - and knitted. What fun.

Ellice

Old December 27th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/26/08 4:21 PM, "lewmew" wrote:

.I admit, I did my shopping, but I got a gorgeous handpainted canvas

(it's probably 24 x12) and threads for it as well as Laura Perin's
Amethyst DReams and the threads to do it in the black/silver color
scheme (Donna is doing it too if you want to see one).

Linda

Ah, you just made me thing- I have the "errata" sheets from the 2nd class I
taught - they needed much more instruction than the group which Donna was
in. I'll send them to you (I figure once someone has found the chart errors
- it's good to share them).

Ellice

Got $5 gifts? Here's 3 for you....................... pretty cheap jewelry Marketplace 0 October 31st 07 04:47 PM
Gifts in a Jar [email protected] General Crafting 0 July 29th 06 04:28 PM
OT gifts for 6 yr old ??? Polly Esther Quilting 65 December 23rd 04 11:33 PM
X-mas gifts [email protected] Yarn 0 November 19th 04 05:25 PM
GIFTS! Matthew Benedict Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 07:02 AM