a little more "Crewel"

Old September 11th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
alicia in Hawaii

Default a little more "Crewel"

Hi everyone,
This Tree of Life project has really grabbed my creative energy!
I've managed to add just a couple more flowers to the mix.
photos he
http://curiosities808.wordpress.com/...f-life-part-2/

Any suggestions?
I've been going through lots of resources to choose the
stitches. I'd really like to hear some suggestions from other
stitchers.

smiles,
alicia in Hawaii
www.curiosities808.wordpress.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandg...oodworks/sets/
www.islandgirla.blogspot.com
Old September 12th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

photos hehttp://curiosities808.wordpress.com/...ry-project-cre...

Any suggestions?
I've been going through lots of resources to choose the
stitches. I'd really like to hear some suggestions from other
stitchers.

smiles,
alicia in Hawaiiwww.curiosities808.wordpress.comwww.flickr.c om/photos/islandgirla_woodworks/sets/www.islandgirla.blogspot.com

Alicia , how are you ???
You might add a heart shaped leave !!!
mirjam .

Old September 12th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/11/08 5:39 PM, in article
, "alicia
in Hawaii" wrote:

Hi everyone,
This Tree of Life project has really grabbed my creative energy!
I've managed to add just a couple more flowers to the mix.
photos he
http://curiosities808.wordpress.com/...t-crewel-embro
idery-tree-of-life-part-2/

--
-

Alicia, I go to my books first - The Proper Stitch, The A-Z of Embroidery
Stitches and Janet Greenoff's books (don't have the titles handy). Then
maybe the ANG site

Cheryl

Old September 14th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 9/12/08 6:38 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 9/11/08 5:39 PM, in article
, "alicia

http://curiosities808.wordpress.com/2008/09/11/embroidery-project-crewel-embr
idery-tree-of-life-part-2/

Any suggestions?
I've been going through lots of resources to choose the
stitches. I'd really like to hear some suggestions from other
stitchers.

--
-

Alicia, I go to my books first - The Proper Stitch, The A-Z of Embroidery
Stitches and Janet Greenoff's books (don't have the titles handy). Then
maybe the ANG site

Cheryl

It always depends on what texture you want, and what threads you want to
use. There are a bunch of Crewel books out there as well, I use those.
Also, IIRC, Donna Kooler's "Encyclopedia of Needlework" has a bunch os
"embroidery" stitches, with photos - so you have an idea what they'll look
like. I also have all the Beth Robertson/Suzanne Howeren books - "Stitches
for Effect, More SFE, Even More SFE, " and even though they're meant for
canvas a lot of the stitches can be done as free embroidery - without the
gridded surface. In flowers, personally I like doing buttonhole borders at
the top, with some sparse filling below in the shape, or different kinds of
lattices, some layered, with/without filling stitches - or you can use beads
(if you don't mind that lack of tradition).

Happy stitchin'
Ellice