Making holes

Old September 11th 05, 02:11 PM
Kelly in FL

Default Making holes

Hi,
I am looking for a simple way to make holes in fused glass flat ornaments.
Does anyone have an easy way to do this?
Thank you,
Kelly

Old September 11th 05, 02:36 PM
suzilem

"Kelly in FL" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for a simple way to make holes in fused glass flat ornaments.
Does anyone have an easy way to do this?
Thank you,
Kelly

If you mean to make a small hole to pass a chain through to use the ornament
as a pendant/slide then layer a small strip of 1/8" fiber paper between your
layers of glass.

Old September 12th 05, 01:47 AM
nJb

Kelly in FL wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for a simple way to make holes in fused glass flat ornaments.
Does anyone have an easy way to do this?
Thank you,
Kelly

Drill it with a Dremmel type tool and a glass bit. Put about a 1/4" of
water in a pan with some paper towels. Set the glass on top of the
towels so that it is barely submerged. Takes less than a minute.

--
Jack

Plonked by Native American

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old September 12th 05, 01:53 AM
Mike Firth

Drill wet with a small diamond bit in a Dremel - wet means using clay to
make a dam to hold water.
Buy a standard small diamond glass drill to use in a slower speed drill.
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm#DRILL
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/coldwork.htm#DRILLING

--
Mike Firth
No more levees

Old September 12th 05, 04:31 AM

Buy a cheap drill press from the home center. Buy a center feed chuck
from HIS or CRL. Buy a small sintered core drill from Amazing Glazing
(CRL).

This is the cheapest and also best system. One core drill with a center
feed chuck will last many thousands of holes. A plated drill in a bath
will last a couple dozen, tops. Use a GFCI and BE CAREFUL. You can take
off a finger or hand doing this. Go slowly, and lift the drill to let
in water often.

Old September 12th 05, 02:06 PM
LazyRaptor

I'd like to know what you mean by "center feed chuck"; I've never seen
this phrase before, and it is unknown to Google too. It would also be
nice to know what is referred to by "HIS" and "CRL". When I Google
"Amazing Glazing" I get a bunch of window installers in the United
Kingdom.

Old September 12th 05, 02:51 PM

A center feed chuck can be purchased from CR Lawrence (crl) --which
company BTW every glass maker should familiarize themselves with. They
are probably the largest supplier of tools and supplies for the glazing
Industry. HIS glassworks is familiar to most folks in art glass, Bob
Stephan's company in North Carolina supplies all manner of coldworking
supplies.

A center feed drill chuck is made for use with Belgian style
(threaded)core drills and supplies water to the interior space of the
core drill while drilling, similar to expensive drilling machines. It
has a hose barb and valve on the side, and watertight bearings. I have
drilled many holes in many ways and this is by far the best system for
small studio use. The center feed chuck is about $150.00. Amazing
glazing is a division of CRL.

Old September 12th 05, 03:01 PM

PS. here's a link to to HIS:

http://www.hisglassworks.com/pages/dha.html

Old September 12th 05, 05:56 PM
LazyRaptor

I appreciate your very prompt response to my questions. C.R. Laurence
appears to be a large industrial-oriented company that prefers to deal
with companies rather than individuals. I am familiar with
hisglassworks.com but didn't recognize it in the "HIS" reference. I see
now what you mean by the phrase "center feed chuck" is a drill chuck
with a water-cooled jacket. Kingsley North in Michigan used to sell
those; they are not particularly inexpensive. For a small-time
operation, it might be a bit cheaper and safer to go with a
battery-powered Dremel and an ordinary core drill. For more precision,
Dremel offers a small drill press which can be used with the battery
powered tool if you order the adapter parts from Dremel (the drill
press is advertised as being for Dremels powered by line current). Of
course battery power means you don't need a ground fault circuit
interruptor (GFCI) and I would think a small Dremel would be a lot less
likely to "take off a finger or hand" too. Then again, if "Kelly in FL"
needs to turn out hundreds and hundreds of drilled pieces then probably
it would be worth it and would make sense to get a drill press, the
water-cooled chuck and the Belgian type threaded core drills to go with
it. I see that CRL offers a ninety-degree beveling bit that I might
have a use for; thanks again for the prompt response.

Old September 12th 05, 09:18 PM
Mike Firth

Actually, it isn't a "water cooled jacket", it is a swivel connector so
that water is actually fed into the center of the drill so it flows out at
the bottom at the cutting edge. My real problem with this suggestion,
although I haven't gone and looked, is the small size the originally
questioner needs to install a hanger, perhaps 1/8" or 3/16". Do hollow
core bits come this small for the system?

--
Mike Firth
No more levees
Bury old Orleans
Raise New Orleans up if it is worth saving
--
ups.com...