Twister

Old December 30th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

Default Twister

Ellice...
What kind of embroidery is your Twister? I'm not big on embroidery
other than cross stitch and hardanger, but that really appeals to me.

Catherine
Old December 30th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/30/08 8:35 AM, "pecan" wrote:

Ellice...
What kind of embroidery is your Twister? I'm not big on embroidery
other than cross stitch and hardanger, but that really appeals to me.

Catherine

Good question. Twister is a piece of charted canvas work, typically done on
24 ct congress cloth. It's quite large, on 18" stretchers. You can do it
on 18 ct mono canvas, but that is huge - requiring 23" stretchers. I'm
doing it in Needlepoint Silk, 2 or 3 strands, mostly 2 - with a 26 needle.
The book - which is the chart - is by Patricia Spencer, and includes a basic
template that you transfer onto the canvas - essentially laying out the
blocks of triangles. Most of the stitches are varations on Byzantine -
slanted kind of satin - with various combinations of direction,
smaller/larger differing stitches mixed in. There are a bunch of Milanese
variations, paving brick sets, etc. And, well, I pretty much lay all the
stitches - except the tent.

There are some groups which did it you can find with some google. Summer
Louise Treswell led one group. Most people I know who've done this did it
as a class or stitch-along. It's a big project, and her stitch diagrams
aren't always "right" in terms of the best way to do the stitch - but the
geomety is what the shape should be. Doesn't help that the cover picture
versus her layout in the book aren't the same (in terms of motifs in which
blocks).

It is a lot of fun to do - and if you're an experienced XS/Hardanger person
I'm sure you could do it. Personally, I'd look for some smaller charted
canvas that's similar - even do something off the ANG stitch of the month
page - on congress before investing in such a big thing. The issue with
something like Twister is you're not counting the whole design. The
individual basic motif of stitch pattern for each segment is diagrammed.
But you have to draw the template onto your work piece, and then find the
best placement in each motif for starting the stitching. Once you get going
- it flows. Until the compensated areas - which means places where complete
stitch motifs won't fit - so you have to keep the geometry while truncating
and filling in. Can get confusing for some people.

Anyhow - let me know if you really are interested in this. I'm happy to
give you some pointers, etc - since I'm teaching this as a year long
stitch-along. And have detailed pix going up on the shop website, as we've
had a hard time keeping the class meeting schedule working.

Ellice

Old December 31st 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

ellice wrote:
On 12/30/08 8:35 AM, "pecan" wrote:

[...]

I'm very interested in this, but it's not feasible right now as I don't
have the goodies around to do it. I prefer your colours - way more
subtle and blended.

I started a Teddy Bear Gathering (Gold Collection) a year ago, finished
the cross stitch part around about July, and have not yet finished the
outlining. So I think I ought to get cracking and finish that, and look
at finding a way to earn an income (since nothing has worked thus far)
and then I can plan projects like that.

Catherine
(P S Does anyone need a website designed?)
Old December 31st 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/31/08 3:31 AM, "pecan" wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 12/30/08 8:35 AM, "pecan" wrote:

[...]

Thanks - about the colorway. I did a slightly different one for one of the
stitchers - it's more blue/violet with a different kind of rosey/fuchsia
pink. It does look good in person.

Let me know when you're ready to try this....Just send me a direct line.

I started a Teddy Bear Gathering (Gold Collection) a year ago, finished
the cross stitch part around about July, and have not yet finished the
outlining. So I think I ought to get cracking and finish that, and look
at finding a way to earn an income (since nothing has worked thus far)
and then I can plan projects like that.

Totally understand. I have way too many WIPs myself.

Catherine
(P S Does anyone need a website designed?)

Maybe....

Ellice