VENT: Not quilting, Not working...GRRRR!

Old September 18th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

Default VENT: Not quilting, Not working...GRRRR!

Well, I went to my cousin's wedding this weekend downstate....nice
enough considering I didn't really feel like I was a part of things
(and had a bad turn out of guest messages for her wedding gift but oh
well, I'll figure something out).....anywhoo.....

Danced up a storm, although admittedly not as much as I normally would
have as DH was tired and knowing he would be doing the driving back
north the next day to get us home had him taking it easy.

Now I've got my right knee wrapped in an ACE bandage (my sewing pedal
leg!) because two years ago some nut job wanted a ride in an ambulance
so much she rear-ended DH and I and my knee went WHACK! into the dash.
We all assumed I was only bruised and indeed with some excercises
prescribed to me by my doctor my knee got to feeling better -- except
for things like the changing weather and when I do things like dance
(which I LIKE to do). Unfortunately, we had no idea it would be so
lingering/reoccuring until after the claim deadline (so I can't even
get reimb'd for the aggravation of days like yesterday and today).

So I hobbled into work this morning to get my check and find out the
schedule for the week and the boss lady gave me my check and sent me
home, telling me to put my leg up and call it was better because I
wasn't gonna be able to do the job until I was more mobile. So no
work....not the end of the world for today, I could really use some
downtime after being on the run for a very emotional weekend....I need
the downtime today that even the loss of potential hours and income
doesn't bother me too much but.....

I am bumming big time because (besides the pain associated with
walking) I was all geared to come back north here and get to work on a
project for my mom (one of my Finishers 2006 goals). I had decided on
what I wanted to do Thursday evening as I was getting off shift at
work, well inspired by the patterns I was looking at there at the shop,
etc. Well, I couldn't do it Thursday because I had to do laundry and
pack for the trip. We left right after errands and DH's classes were
done on Friday (wasn't even worth trying to take the machine with us --
I *knew* I wouldn't have any time downstate this trip), so last night
and/or today was going to be the first chance I had to get rolling on
this and I can't use my machine because of my friggin' knee and I can't
stand to rotary my fabric for this either. I'm so upset about the
woman who did this to me and will never know the lingering effects of
what she did to get a fix for her ambulance addiction (admittedly, I
never spoke to the woman but the emergency responder who I spoke to at
the scene let me know that the woman "likes" to ride in ambulances and
that they had just picked her up on a call the night before and she hit
us just after leaving the hospital). Actually, I'm not upset about her
per se but more that because of a stranger's actions to satisfy an
addiction, I'm left to pay the consequences.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Anyone ever train themselves to use their non-dominant leg with the
sewing machine pedal? Was it hard? Any tips for me?

Anyway, the project I have in mind for my mom is a whole new experience
for me in many regards---

1. it will include triangles that are NOT PP'd
2. it doesn't have neat 90 degree corner angles in the finished product
3. will be the first thing from conception to completion that will be
for "use" (meaning likely to get dirty and therefore need to really be
washable) rather than just to hang on the wall looking pretty (this one
is meant to sit on a table/desk and look pretty instead *snicker*)
4. following a pattern that isn't PP'd and isn't just a throw together
as I go along
5. I will *probably* use Warm and Natural for the first time unless I
decide to use a length of flannel in there instead for a dense
batting......hmmm......flannel is probably too costly....ah, decisions,
decisions.....

It's a table runner comprised of triangles, plain squares, and 4 patch
squares placed in such a manner where the 4 patch squares run down the
long center of the runner and the triangles fill the side gaps and on
either side of the 4 patches are the plains. at least that's what my
memory recalls...I have to go find my jotted notes in my purse from
when I sketched them out at work on Thursday waiting for DH to come
pick me up.

I'm pretty sure that since I have FQs of all the fabrics in question
(at least for the top) I should be able to adjust things creatively
enough to make up for the fact that I don't have 1/8 yd of a full
length/width of a bolt for strip piecing for the 4 patches --- I'll
just have more than one strip pieced set to make up for it, right??????

bumming about the knee and lack of productivity today (I did sit in on
one of DH's basic chem classes today, took notes, think I saw a student
cheating on a quiz but can't prove it -- however, I have used my years
of educator experience to let DH know how he can eliminate any
likelihood of what I *think* I saw repeating itself so the situation
doesn't arise again in the future)

I wanna sew, I wanna sew, I wanna sew.....=(

T.

Old September 18th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Default Not quilting, Not working...GRRRR!

(((Tricia)))

I can and have used my left foot for sewing - it can be done just practice
on some scraps first ;-)

if you can drive you have already used that left foot if you have a non
automatic car ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old September 18th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

Got an automatic -- never tried with a clutch and don't think I would
do well with *both* feet involved at the same time (I had a hard enough
time learning to drive with both hands on the wheel in driver's ed
because they both kept jockeying for control -- best driving I did was
when the instructor broke all the rules and told me to drive one
handed. Did great, he had me put both hands on the wheel and we
promptly ended up in a ditch!)

I'll have to practice some in the next few days until my left works as
well as my right -- i've already taught myself to use my right knee
when needed (ie no desk/table, had to do my sewing with the machine on
the cedar chest -- been a while since I've had to do that though).

Gracias mi amiga!

T.

Old September 18th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

ekkk - I had a hard time but that was because I was scared of the power of
the car - till my dear driving instructor (they are mandatory here) took me
down a long skinny road flanked with huge old trees and told me to drive 80
km/h (about 45-50 miles/hour I think) and kept me going up and down that
road till I did - best thing he ever did!

well it's really not much harder than doing it with your normal foot - just
remember to move the pedal along ;-)

if you are a person who wears shoes normally try doing it barefoot as you
can feel better what you are doing

you *can* do it!

Old September 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Davis

On 18 Sep 2006 11:51:48 -0700, "Tricia"
wrote:

[...]

Last summer I fracture my right foot. I didn't do anything stupid
like bungee jumping, all I did was take a step and heard a pop. I was
told no long distance walking and to keep off of it and it elevated as
much as possible. Well that was my "sewing" foot. I was bound and
determined to learn to sew with the other one. And actually it wasn't
hard at all. took about an hour to get use to it. All I did was put
it on the other side of the sewing machine and went to town!

I'm back to the right foot now, but every once in a while when it
gives me trouble I switch.

Get back to sewin'!!!!

Marie
Old September 18th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Knee injuries (was Not quilting, Not working...GRRRR!)

No help on the sewing issue, but I can offer sympathy for the knee problems.
(I tripped 14 months ago and still have major problems.)

One thing that helps me a lot when I do too much is a HOT bath. Really,
really, really hot. I soak my whole leg until the water no longer feels hot
(usually about a half hour), and I'll be completely pain free for at least
12 hours, often more. I do add bath salts -- not sure if that's necessary,
but if I'm going to be in there, I want to pamper myself a bit. *grin*

Can't say this will work for you, but I was awfully delighted to get off the
pain meds that weren't working all that well and to be able to DO things
again. Plus it's nice to have some quality, undisturbed reading time now and
then.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

oups.com...

Old September 19th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Try one of the Kiss My Face Bath and Shower Gels in the tub. I love the
"Cold & Flu" one in the shower when I have a cold. The "Early to Bed"
one smells wonderful and is relaxing. I haven't tried the others but
plan to try the "Early to Rise" one when my bottle of Dove stuff is
gone. There is also an "Active Athletic Muscle Relaxant" one. NAYY --
just a satisfied customer.
http://www.kissmyface.com/Category/Kiss+My+Face/Shower+Gels/

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 19th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Shall we consider some sports medicine?

I have trashed my knees more times that I care to count: like hitting
a patch of ice under snow when I was walking full speed to get to work
on time.

If you can do it: ice packs and keep elevated for the first 12 hours.
Then a heating pad for 30 minutes twice a day together with a dose of
200mg of ibuprofen. It completely eliminates the pain of changes in
the weather, and stupid further damage. It usually takes me 3 days of
the heat/IBP to get over a strain like dragging 500lb with a wonky
wheel (does nothing for the ability to say "NO", wish there was a cure
for that).

This cure was prescribed by an MD and I am eternally grateful. The
other necessary ongoing bit is a walk of at least 2 miles every day.

Good luck--it's a bummer when you can't sew--Irene

Tricia wrote: (snipped)

Old September 20th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ellen

Anyone ever train themselves to use their non-dominant leg with the
sewing machine pedal? Was it hard? Any tips for me?

Yes! yes! yes! I had just finished a quilt top on a nice Friday
afternoon and went out to get the mail. Somehow tripped down the (2)
front stairs and broke the right leg and badly sprained the left ankle.
The quilt *had* to be quilted and bound by Monday week so it could be
photographed. A very nice friend came over, got the top and basted it. I
had a cast from ankle to knee on the right leg and an air cast on the
left one -- they were put on that Monday. By Tues I was at the machine
with the right leg propped up on a box altho it was swelling up anyway;
the left foot was suddenly having to learn to use the foot pedal (with
the air cast on) .. it was *interesting* But yes I did learn to use the
left foot altho the biggest problem was not sewing my fingers cause
somehow the left foot didn't seem to understand not to push when my
fingers were under the presser foot :-) And yes I got it quilted and
bound and it got photographed! The thing that helped was that I was able
to downspeed the motor on the machine so the left foot didn't hit that
pedal to the metal. BTW you might try without shoes on -- I think you
get a better feel for what you are doing barefoot.

So yes it is doable but will feel weird at first.

Ellen
Old September 20th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tricia

THanks all....

The knee is in better enough shape that I'm gonna tell the boss lady I
can be put back on the schedule. I kept it wrapped and "somewhat"
elevated on Monday. Then yesterday I kept it mostly up, though
unwrapped, and at one point soaked it in a hot bath.....I still twinge
a little every so many steps but am feeling fairly "normal" other than
that.....

I dind't want to take my chances that standing on it for long periods
to cut fabric yesterday would mess it up again so I dind't get any more
except further planning done on the table runner for my
mom.......didn't have enough fabric for the color layout I was
originally going to do so I played with the colored pencils last night
until I found a layout I liked that I had enough fabric for.

=)
Less vent today,
Tricia

PS thanks for the encouragement about left foot sewing....I have
definitely made up my mind to learn how before it becomes
necessary......