A funny thing happened on the way to a fabric order....

Old August 11th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Fairy Frost (was Begging (was Global Priority Mail ))

No, I haven't! But my mailbox is quite dark -- it would look stunning in
there. ;-)

I've been staying away from quilt shops. PIQF and our guild show are both
coming up in October (and I just blew all my spending money on another
treadle!). Being a fabric tramp and all, well, I have a reputation to
maintain when I go on trips. *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
Last time I was a Black Cat they had a bolt of glow in the dark Fairy
Frost. We all crammed in the store room and turned out the light to see
it.

Collected that yet?

marcella

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

It's a fabulous line of fabric. I snap them up every chance I get -- they
seem to work in everything.

Old August 11th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Default A funny thing happened on the way to a fabric order....

I have done the same for some. You can order, have it shipped to me,
and I will ship it on to you....even open, fondle whatever to have it
declared "not new". BG

Any time for whoever. Glad to help.

Pati, in Phx.

A&T wrote:

I completely agree!!! I'd be happy to do this for any of ya'll overseas.

I recently sent a couple of squishees to Canada and Australia and I
declared $0 and a gift hoping that would keep anyone from paying customs
fees. I hope it worked.

Add me to the list of those who would order for you and ship for cheaper.

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Sandy Ellison wrote:

Howdy!

Funny? I ain't laughing.

Ya' know, Jo, and many of you others across the ponds/borders,
quite a few of us US-ans would be happy to shop for you, send the
pkg thru' regular over-seas mail and trust you to repay us.
Like Cat wanting this fabulous Nancy J Martin book (Make Room for
Quilts)
that I mentioned, and if Sandy F had not stepped up to say "I'll help!",
this Sandy would have. 'Cause that's part of the fun of being w/
this crazy RCTQ bunch. When we planned our Germany trip a year ago
(already a year ago?!!!??) the first person I contacted was RobertaZ,
then I asked, "What can I bring you?" and she asked for some
seasoning mix that's sold just up the road from me; I was happy to
oblige.
And what a wonderful pay-back we got for that! Lunch, tour guides,
a sense of security that "we have friends over here!" so we felt more
comfortable traveling over there. And chocolate. And lebkuchen!!!
In the RCTQ Secret Swap we're doing now (thanks, Larisa!) we have
lists of
what our pals want and w/ the overseas group we can send what they
miss/want/can't find at home. Easily.

So, anyway, I'm sorry your experience w/ this company sucks.
You know I had only grief when dealing w/ Han-of-Pad online
(walk-in store was just fine and I met a "neighbor" from Tx
for the first time g), won't deal with them again, refused to even
accept their catalogs in the mail, because despite others citing
wonderful success dealing with them, as far as I'm concerned they suck
& I'm done w/ that. ;-D
This shipping charge against you is ridiculous. Maybe some stores
just don't want to put that much time & effort into shipping and make
the customer pay for their perceived inconvenience. Whatever,
sounds like you've been had. For those who like to keep lists
perhaps a list of feedback for who does good biz or not could be
added to the FAQs, like the eBay feedback. Your experience isn't
the same as everyone else's, but it's relevant and worth noting,
esp. for overseas shipping.

Better luck next time!

Ragmop/Sandy--sizzling in n.Tx.

On 8/10/06 5:11 AM, in article
,
"Johanna Gibson" wrote:

Well I have my order finally. It is been so frustrating, I may as
well mention the shop - Bear Paw Quilting. I know several of you will
stand up and say "They've been great for me!" and that's nice. It
wasn't great for me.
I ordered 8 yards of fabric back in June. Most shops can get that
much, or thereabouts, into one global priority mailer, so I expected
to pay $9 or $10 shipping and have done with it. They contacted me to
ask if I wanted insurance... .wasn't sure about that, no one usually
offers me insurance with an online order, so succumbing to doubt I
said "yes". Ah. Then it was put to me that I couldn't have it in a
global priority mailer, it would have to be Parcel Post. Right. What
I didn't know is the cost ....
So the fabric was $52.34, the shipping was $25.30, the insurance was
$2.60 I think, and there is another charge for $27.90 for which I
still am clueless. There have been many heated emails exchanged
between me and the shop, and I still don't understand it all. So on
top of this $108.14, I was given a £31.52/$58 customs fee.... bringing
the total to $166 for 8 yards of fabric. That's $20 a yard. I should
have bought batiks. Or silk. Or woven gold. What I won't be doing
is shopping from this store again. It's been confusing and I didn't
like the tone of the emails I received either.
Just warning folks out there. I know most of you aren't ordering
"internationally" but some do. Other shops such as
www.bighornquilts.com , and www.fabricshack.com have always had
consistently good service. I'll confine my orders to the tried and
tested stores now.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old August 12th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You gonna tell us about the treadle?
WHat did you get?
Taria

Old August 12th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I'm looking at the Scrap Bag Special! Wonder if 2 of those would fit in 1
envelope?
Roberta in D

"Kathy Applebaum" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...

"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in
t:

I just went to http://www.usps.com, and checked shipping on sending a
bunch of FQs to Switzerland. (Don't get your hopes up! I was just
checking. *grin*)

Estelle said that she got _30_FQ's in one envelope. ;o)
(hee, hee...)

Yeah, and you really like that shiny beige fabric, too. *grin* Sounds like
one of the Fairy Frost line, if anyone else is feeling the need to test
flat rate envelopes. Too bad John's collection
(http://www.virginiaquilter.com/cgi-l...0+11553639 37
-- NAYY) is more than 30 FQs. *evil grin*

Old August 12th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

I haven't picked it up yet, but it's another Singer 127. The head isn't in
great condition (and missing a number of parts), but the cabinet and the
irons are good. I bought it to have some place to put the cabinet-less 127 I
already own.

Old August 12th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

I just scored a Singer 15K electric, manufactured in 1948. The machine
is in excellent condition with all the attachments. The cabinet is
nothing to write home about. They replaced the old oak one with
something more "modern" in the late 50s. Paid $20 for it.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old August 12th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Even if it is a replacement cabinet,
since it was the 50s, it is probably
solid wood. If you don't want it,
someone will be thrilled to find it at
Sally's or Goodie's! PAT

Old August 14th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

They didn't lie.

I don't see anything on that page that's flat rate. They all say
"...and up."

Clicking on "Global Priority Mail" gives you
http://www.usps.com/global/globalprioritymail.htm where the only flat
rates mentioned are the two envelopes. The rate calculator also does
not offer any flat rate options other than the envelopes.

JA

(snipped)

YES, well, go to that page, and follow the link to postal supplies, and
then Global, and there IS a box for under four pounds listed on page 2.

Now I was shipping these in 2003: apparently the larger box option has
bitten the dust, but the one that would have served for Jo's order is
still there in 2006.
And the rate to the UK would be about $10.00 so there.

Irene