Strontium titanate

Old September 10th 04, 02:52 AM
Jack Schmidling

Default Strontium titanate

I was told that strontium titanate is heat sensitive and should not be
removed from the dop by heating the dop.

I have a nice SRB sitting in acetone for longer than I am interested in
waiting and still can not get it off.

I find it hard to believe that anything would happen to it if it sat in
boiling water for two minutes but I do not want to risk this without some
moral support.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

Old September 10th 04, 05:16 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I have no experience with it, but I also believe that; placing it in
room temp water and BRINGING it to a boil and then allowing it , whoile
still in the now hot water, to cool to room temp, would likely be safe.
Don't just plop it into already boiling water.
When I read about or worry about something being temperature
sensitive, I try to think of hot the inside of a car or semi trailer is
in Texas in August. Typical transportation for most nonperishable items.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I was told that strontium titanate is heat sensitive and should not be
removed from the dop by heating the dop.

I have a nice SRB sitting in acetone for longer than I am interested in
waiting and still can not get it off.

I find it hard to believe that anything would happen to it if it sat in
boiling water for two minutes but I do not want to risk this without some
moral support.

js

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old September 10th 04, 04:17 PM
C Ryman

How about putting it in the freezer?

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old September 11th 04, 04:15 AM
Ted Frater

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I was told that strontium titanate is heat sensitive and should not be
removed from the dop by heating the dop.

I have a nice SRB sitting in acetone for longer than I am interested in
waiting and still can not get it off.

I find it hard to believe that anything would happen to it if it sat in
boiling water for two minutes but I do not want to risk this without some
moral support.

js

You need to use Methelene chloride. Much stronger than acetone. Assuming
you can get it.
Its the basis of strong paint strippe. will desolve almost everything.
Old September 11th 04, 08:11 AM
Jack Schmidling

"Ted Frater"

You need to use Methelene chloride. Much stronger than acetone.

Acetone works eventually but the yet unanswered question still is:

Need I worry about heat with strontium titanate?

3 minutes in boiling water will soften "quick set" epoxy enough to remove
from a dop and clean it up with finger nails, without any special chemicals.
This is why we use quick set... it has lousy temperature characteristics for
bonding but good enough for room temp use and easy to remove with a little
heat.

I normally just hold the dop over a Bunsen burner which is even quicker but
I was told this is a bad idea with ST so then I ask, how bout just boiling
water? It works also but will it harm the stone.

I gather this is a rather unusual gem material but after seeing one,
everything else looks boring. I have now made two of them, one in a ring
for me and one in a medalion pendant for my wife which she wore for the
first time today and received rave reviews.

js