Funny name Copy Right ??? because it really means ...

Old July 16th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Funny name Copy Right ??? because it really means ...

I a, looking at this discussions about Copy Right and it realy should
have been called No Copy Right ,,,,or Copy Is Unright or copying is
wrong ,,,,, just a pondering .....
mirjam
Old July 16th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I a, looking at this discussions about Copy Right and it realy should
have been called No Copy Right ,,,,or Copy Is Unright or copying is
wrong ,,,,, just a pondering .....
mirjam

"Copyright" = "the right to copy"
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 16th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
BettyJ

I know I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, and I make a joke out of
anything serious, but this is how I view copyright. It's hard, but I will
try to be serious for a few seconds..
To me copyrighting is wrong when one takes another's design and calls it
their own and not giving the really owner his due.Taking what I have bought,
and sell it (because I no longer need or want) say at a yard sale, to me is
not wrong. If I make something and give it away, it is not wrong. I am not
claiming that the pattern is mine, made by me, even thought the finished
item was made by me.
Okay that's all the seriousness for me for today..

Old July 17th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jeri

BettyJ wrote:
I know I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, and I make a joke out
of anything serious, but this is how I view copyright. It's hard, but
I will try to be serious for a few seconds..
To me copyrighting is wrong when one takes another's design and calls
it their own and not giving the really owner his due.Taking what I
have bought, and sell it (because I no longer need or want) say at a
yard sale, to me is not wrong.

You're right, it's not wrong. You can legally sell, lend, give away, throw
away, burn, fold, spindle, or mutilate the ORIGINAL pattern. The only thing
you may not do is make a copy. (I'm not talking about working copies which
are for your own use while you keep the original.)

If I make something and give it away,
it is not wrong. I am not claiming that the pattern is mine, made by
me, even thought the finished item was made by me.

I doubt this would be considered a copyright violation either as long as you
weren't selling the item.
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Old July 17th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

Basic US Copyright law, in comic book format!

This is from the Center for the Study of Public Domain at Duke University
law school... both cute and well done. It's also about the only readable
discussion of DCMA I know of.
http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/

It's available online for free:
http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/digital.php

There are some interesting "really different copyright agreements" out, too.
The general idea is called "copyleft" and came out of what became the
Free Software and Open Software movements (Linux users are probably
familiar with GNU GPL licenses) There are the 6 Creative Commons licenses:
http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/ which are designed to retain
copyright to the originator, but to allow certain specific uses by other
people that are being fairly often used.

There's a pretty good writeup on "copyleft" on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

Kay

Old July 20th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
I a, looking at this discussions about Copy Right and it realy should
have been called No Copy Right ,,,,or Copy Is Unright or copying is
wrong ,,,,, just a pondering .....

No, it's an idiosyncracy of the English language that the word "right"
means (a) direction, (b) the state of being correct or not, and (c)
something that one believes he/she is entitled to. In this case, the
"right" is definition C.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old July 20th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

BettyJ wrote:
To me copyrighting is wrong when one takes another's design and calls it
their own and not giving the really owner his due.Taking what I have bought,
and sell it (because I no longer need or want) say at a yard sale, to me is
not wrong.

No, that is not wrong by any stretch of the imagination.

If I make something and give it away, it is not wrong. I am not
claiming that the pattern is mine, made by me, even thought the finished
item was made by me.

If it is a gift that you personally made for someone, I think that is
covered.

If it is somethign that you are making in bulk and donating for charity,
you do have to go back to the designer and ask permission to use their
pattern.

What I don't get is why with all the free patterns out there, people
still have to go make illegal copies of commercial ones.