questions

Old November 2nd 03, 09:51 PM
enigma

"Karen" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
.. .
ok, 2 questions.
1) i have a pattern for a pullover jumper/sweater that
calls for US 17 needles & super bulky yarn. can i
substitute Brown Sheep bulky & a strand of mohair? the
super bulky they show is a bit thicker than the Brown
Sheep i have tons of.

What's the gauge called for, and of the Brown Sheep? Also,
How heavy is your mohair. I started working on a pullover
yesterday that called for US 17 needles and super bulky
yarn, and in their illustration, they use Brown Sheep Burly
Spun by itself.

um, the pattern used Cascade Magnum. i *think* the gauge is 11
stitches over 14cm(5.5") wide & 11 stitches over 10cm(4") high
on size 17 needles using the chart pattern... if i'm reading
thier chart correctly. it's the Once Around the Block sweater
in the Fall 2003 Knitter's magazine.
the bulky i have is Lamb's Pride, which gives a gauge of 3
stitches/inch on 10.5 needles. the mohair is a Rita Buchanan
handpainted skein... no idea what gauge is recommended. i was
just wondering if the mohair fluff would fill in less bulky
Lamb's Pride bulky.

I am making mine from that pattern with Cascade Magnum,
which I think is classified as a superbulky (2 sts per
inch), with a carry-along thread of mohair/rayon blend (S.
Charles Ritratto). The carry-along doesn't seem to add
anything as far as bulk, or do much to the gauge (I'm just
using it for appearance reasons).

ok... that sounds like it might work then. i'll have to
swatch it & see what it looks like. my other fear is it'll be
too hot to wear
lee
Old November 3rd 03, 06:07 AM
Karen

"enigma" wrote in message
.. .
"Karen" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Oh that is a GORGEOUS sweater!!! My LYS just finished up a couple-week of
trunk show from Knitter's Magazine, and they had that sweater hanging in
there. As nice as it looked in the magazine, it was even better finished
up! I think your combination of the mohair makes sense (I have also heard
that when working with some super bulk wools (Magnum being one), knitting it
with something else keeps it from separating and/or pilling). Plus, the
combination of the handpainted mohair with the wool sounds very sharp!

I am making mine from that pattern with Cascade Magnum,
which I think is classified as a superbulky (2 sts per
inch), with a carry-along thread of mohair/rayon blend (S.
Charles Ritratto). The carry-along doesn't seem to add
anything as far as bulk, or do much to the gauge (I'm just
using it for appearance reasons).

ok... that sounds like it might work then. i'll have to
swatch it & see what it looks like. my other fear is it'll be
too hot to wear
lee

Well, the Magnum is very warm, but I'm in Minnesota and it's darn cold here,
so I like that!

Karen in MN

Old November 3rd 03, 07:39 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dear Enigma , as someone living where No wool mentioned in any mag
willshow up , i never consider this wool names as any consideration at
all . if i lke a LOOK of a sweater i go and find a wool that seems to
me to give a similar look , But this happens Rarely , maybe only when
Daughter and son see a pattern and hint they might like something that
will look "maybe like THAT !!!".
For me the Guague is the key [ and i almost never work with the given
guage either ,,,,,, ] So look a6tt the pattern , find the wool you
like /have /can afford anf guague this ,,,,, than `transalte all
measuremebts to your guaugue and happy knitting .

2) anyone know of a free cardigan style women's jumper/sweater
pattern that uses bulky yarn & has some sort of cabling or
texture? i get really bored doing garter & stockinette on
anything bigger than a mitten. i want to make my mom a
sweater, but she can't put on anything pullover due to
arthritis.

You might make your mother either a wraparound sweater or a big
snuggle sweater , maybe a poncho wide enough to snuggle with sie
buttons to keep it on her body ,
Last Interweave Knits , fall 2003, had both a 'Geish Cape" [page 82]
designed by Nicky Epstein , and a "Chinchila Capelet and scarf " [page
102] By Veronik Avery , both seem the Perfect warm clothing item for
Rheumatic people ,,, mirjam

Old November 3rd 03, 02:03 PM
Karen

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

I would second the vote for that capelet-- my stepmother lives in Florida,
and wants me to make that for her. Even though Florida has the reputation
for being like an oven, it still gets cool there, especially in the
evenings, and she thinks a caplet would be perfect to take the edge off the
chill without the heaviness of a full-blown sweater. Plus, she liked the
fact that it is basically a wrap-around style with button closure as she has
some arthritis as well. IIRC, it was a straight stitch (garter or
stockinette), but there's no reason you couldn't add some cabling or moss or
something decorative.

Karen in MN

Old November 3rd 03, 02:04 PM
Michele

wow, great pattern Nora! Thanks for sharing it.

Michele in KY

"NoraBalcer" wrote in message
Lee,

Here's a site that I got when I did a google search using women's bulky

sweater
knit free patterns.http://knitting.about.com/library/blswecardiganpic.htm

HTH,

Nora who is going to look at the ones Janise gave you.