Resolution for press 'n seal users-this is long

Old March 10th 04, 09:49 PM
jennell H

Default Resolution for press 'n seal users-this is long

I received a package of this product last week and yesterday I began
testing various marking combinations:

press 'n seal with pigma micron .0l red - some colour transfer which did
wash out (white poly fabric/batt/thread) - lazy daisy design with tight
crossovers of stitches..

---with pigma micron .01 green - tested as above - lots of colour
transfer - didn't try washing out - the green also transferred to the
bottom of my free motion foot.

---with pigma micron and Staidtler pigment .01 black - tested as above -
some black transfer - most washed out

----with blue/purple disappearing ink pens - tested as above - lots of
colour transfer

----with ordinary ball point pen***this method did have the smallest
amount of ink transfer but it did wash out and I suppose that a spritz
with hair spray would also get rid of any colour?

Read on for the best solution: all methods and fabric/thread
combinations successful - no ink transfer at all!

I traced feather designs on tissue paper using ordinary
pencil/Sharpie/pigma and laid the design in place on the fabric sandwich
(black/blue/muslin). I covered the tissue with the press 'n seal -
sticky side down/design side up - burnished the design to the press
n'seal and sewed the designs. Removal was easier than using only tissue
paper (seam ripper and tweezers) - there was no bother with static cling
either.

This is an easy-on-the-eyes method for marking dark and patterned fabric
quilt blocks using just a plain ole regular pencil.

Thank you again to my press 'n seal donor
and my eyes thank you also.

Jennifer in Ottawa
mailto: change Nytowl to jennell

Old March 10th 04, 10:19 PM
Patti

What a great public service, Jennifer.
Thank you so much.
I just got a roll yesterday; tried drawing with a few varied
'implements', but haven't got as far as sewing through them. Your
experiment means I'll probably go straight to the method you found
worked best. I am just at the very point of making the sandwich and
starting to quilt, so it couldn't be more timely. I will probably cut
out the design and use the press and seal just as a holding down medium.
This will be great.
Thanks again. I often wonder whether I should post about little things
I have discovered; but haven't ever done so. Now I think perhaps some
of the things might be helpful to some people, so next time maybe I'll
be brave enough to do so.
..

In article ,
jennell H writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 11th 04, 01:33 AM
Becky

Hi Patti,

Goodness yes, get brave and post. You never know when something that you
figured out will be something no one else has thought of doing in that way.
People are always putting tips up here that make me wonder, "Now why didn't
I think of doing it that way?!"

Becky

"Patti" wrote in message
What a great public service, Jennifer.
Thank you so much.
I just got a roll yesterday; tried drawing with a few varied
'implements', but haven't got as far as sewing through them. Your
experiment means I'll probably go straight to the method you found
worked best. I am just at the very point of making the sandwich and
starting to quilt, so it couldn't be more timely. I will probably cut
out the design and use the press and seal just as a holding down medium.
This will be great.
Thanks again. I often wonder whether I should post about little things
I have discovered; but haven't ever done so. Now I think perhaps some
of the things might be helpful to some people, so next time maybe I'll
be brave enough to do so.
.

In article ,
jennell H writes

Old March 11th 04, 01:36 AM
Becky

Dear Jennifer,

Wonderful! I will try it tmorrow. I had tried using just the tissue paper,
but of course you have to pin it down. Never occurred to me to try
combining the two!

Becky

Old March 11th 04, 03:11 AM
Kathy in CA

I use a fine pt sharpie (permanent ink) to mark on the press and seal. I
just have to be careful not to press so hard as to poke a hole thru the P&S
and mark the fabric. Relax--you are over-thinking this If I have a
stensil I put the P&S right on the fabric then the stensil and draw. If the
pattern is on paper I put the P&S on the paper and draw and then position on
the fabric. I love this stuff and and now able (and not afraid) to do some
fancy quilting I have had no trouble with the ink transferring to the
fabric or walking foot.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old March 11th 04, 01:20 PM
Joan8904

i used a black pigma to mark the press n' seal with light green thread and had
no transfer. ?

joan
p.s. Happy 3-11 Day!
joan o'reilly
http://members.aol.com/Joan8904/index.html

Old March 11th 04, 02:14 PM
Becky

I urge anyone who is going to try this technique to do a sample before using
the P&S on a good quilt. I have not yet found a marker (permanent or
wahout) that will give me a clean thread line. I know there are a number of
people in this group that are not having this problem, but here in southern
Colorado both myself and my quilting buddy across the street do have the
problem. It is very frustrating to be told that the problem doesn't exist,
when we know it does for us. Why it works for some and not for others is
not yet apparent, but for some of us it is indeed a problem.

Becky

Old March 11th 04, 02:14 PM
KJ

Happy 311 Day back to you Joan! Are you involved in the festivities?? DS
was home the other day and gave me the countdown to 311 Day...he was pumped.
He's crazy for 311 and has been for years.

On topic....I bought three boxes (they were packaged that way) of Press n
Seal at Sam's Club the other day, and have forgotten just why I thought I
needed them. I did use some to cover a bowl of leftovers....imagine that!

Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old March 11th 04, 03:17 PM
Marijke

I've been having good success with the purple marker that disappears after a
while. Only caveat: If you draw your design using it, it will also
disappear off the Press and Seal after a while. I had to laugh when I placed
a design on the quilt and then couldn't get back to it for a couple of days.
no more design!!

Marijke
in Montreal

Old March 14th 04, 05:33 PM
Dr. Quilter

not only that, but isn't that what we should be doing in this ng??? )

Marissa
one of the worst OT offenders..

Becky wrote:

Hi Patti,

Goodness yes, get brave and post. You never know when something that you
figured out will be something no one else has thought of doing in that way.
People are always putting tips up here that make me wonder, "Now why didn't
I think of doing it that way?!"

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens