sorting out grinder/polisher options

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 14th 09, 10:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
sorrentoSilver

Default sorting out grinder/polisher options

hello rcj:

I'm in the market for a grinder for my silverwork bench and trying to
sort out the various options and what's important. I only want to use
it to grind/edge/reduce silver and for some occasional tool
shaping . . . but NOT for polishing - I love using my lortone tumbler
for what I do. so I know I don't need the felt and muslin buffing
wheels. I was thinking if I had two spindles, I'd have a fine and
coarser wheel option . . . the traditionalists in the group will be
pleased to learn that I LOVE to use my files too - this is where the
hand, heart, and soul interact for me in silver work. I just want the
grinder for quick and easy shaping of larger pieces - say to smooth
and straighten the edge of a bangle I've just cut out, etc.

so, I'm trying to learn about the differences between the $35 units
one can buy at home depot or online everyhwere and the ones the
jewelry supply houses sell. is variable speed important? is the
overall HP an important issue? how much power will I need to grind
silver sheet?

must I have a hood and fan and all that stuff? I don't want to try to
make my own if I must have one - so that would force me to a more
expensive unit, I think.

what's the importance of size of the wheels? does 6" vs 3" matter?

where/how can I learn about spindles and arbors and that side of the
story?

contenti has an inexpensive model with a flexshaft attached. is this
a mistake? any good for what I need? is it possible to buy a hardware
store grinder and get a hood for it if that's important?

I already have a foredom which I do pre-finishing work on with the 3m
radial brushes and rubberized abrasives - but it wouldn't hurt to have
an extra handpiece available.

I thank you in advance for any help/advice/information you can share
with me.

Rock Polisher Keith Jewelry 24 April 27th 04 03:34 PM
Ameritool trim saw and grinder/polisher Darwin's Chimp Jewelry 1 April 8th 04 05:06 AM
Cabachon saw/grinder/polisher combo recommendations DesertFlea Jewelry 1 April 3rd 04 02:43 AM
Jewlery polisher S.K. Martin Jewelry 3 August 2nd 03 05:48 AM
buffer -polisher cynthia mason Polymer Clay 0 July 10th 03 03:03 AM