OT - Pronunciation of words

Old October 9th 05, 01:16 PM
Katherine

Gwendoline Kelly wrote:
Katherine once at towards the end of one of our USA ?Canada I found
myself saying "A-Loom-in-um" and figured it was time I went Home !!!
Here it is as mentioned "Al -you -min-ee.um"

LOL My mother and I had many "discussions" about that word. It was not until
I showed her how it was spelled in my Chemistry book that she permitted me
to pronounce it the "Canadian" way. Even then, she continued to say it her
way.

Katherine

Old October 9th 05, 01:21 PM
Yarn Forward

Shillelagh wrote:

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM.

For the benefit of the Canadians amongst us, Alcan, the Canadian
Aluminum company, and one of the largest producers of aluminum in the
world, was known legally as

Alcan AluminIUM Inc., until 2000 when it changed its name to Alcan Inc.

When in the UK, I always spelt it with IUM and this seems to be a commom
ending for chemical elements such as barium, cadmium, strontium, cesium,
..... What is "right" or "wrong" is a debate that can on for ever. The
English language evolves by usage, not by dictate, so the will of the
masses will eventually win out.

Roger.

Old October 9th 05, 03:19 PM
MRH

Thank you, Christine, and all the rest of you who got into this discussion.
)

It all depends then on how you heard / learned the word while growing up. I
know in our house we always had Reynolds Aluminum Foil, and we always said
(and heard others in our area say) A-loom-in-um. This was (aluminum) also
the way we learned to spell it at school. To each his/her own! ;o)

Oh, Norma... I had never actually even heard the word leftenant until I saw
a war movie and heard the British people saying it. I had always heard
lieutenant. Maybe my ears only hear(d) in American when it came to some
words? LOL

I know that I grew up spelling colour with a U in there, but somewhere along
the way in school I was taught that in the US they don't put the U in the
word. Now I spell it either way... but I still spell it coloUr most times!

Peace!
Gemini
- differences make us unique and interesting. ;o)

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium
This will hopefully explain all, and to be honest I've never seen it spelt
without 2 i's, but when I read the Wikipedia article it all became clear
(ish!)
Love Christine

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i" in
the
word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there. Aren't all our
differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also pronouncing all the
letters that are there, without the EE, which is the non existant "i".
Scratching my head. Can you help me understand? (laugh)

Shelagh

Old October 9th 05, 06:44 PM
spinninglilac

lol us over here too in places....cher

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...

Cher wrote
some actually say
Al-you-minium as in Al you min E um
lol....Cher

That is us Cher !!! God Bless Gwen

Gwen Kelly

"spinninglilac" wrote in message
k...
Allaminyum or sometimes Allyminyum depending of course where we are from
some actually say
Al-you-minium as in Al you min E um
lol....Cher

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
Just curious, since pronunciations of other words are being discussed

in
another thread... Can someone from England please tell me how you, in

your
part of the country, pronounce the word ALUMINUM please?

My late mother-in-law (from Ashford Kent) used to say A-lu-MIN-ium.

She
is
the only person I (or my parents) had ever heard pronounce it this

way.
The
first time she said it, we honestly had no clue as to what she was

talking
about. She kept asking if we had any, and we thought she might have

been
talking about some sort of medication (like Tylenol for headaches, or
Pepto-Bismal for stomach problems) that we don't have here in Canada,

so
we
said "No, we don't have that... what is it used for, maybe we have

something
similar." That was when she said that it is silver coloured and

shiny
and
you cover food with it. The light went on over all of our heads and

we
said almost in unison "Ohhhh, aLUminum foil, yes we have that!" She

became
very agitated and indignant and said "In England it is pronounced
A-lu-MIN-ium, and since we speak *proper* English that is the correct

way
of
saying it, NOT the way you say it here in Canada."

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 9th 05, 06:58 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "MRH"
[...]

Gemini, that is how I do pronouce it more or less as well A-lu-mi-ni-um.
Is that not also the correct spelling for this ore.

Els
Old October 9th 05, 07:01 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Ophelia"
wrote:

In UK it has never been spelled aluminum. It is and has always been
spelled aluminium. I don't know who spelled it first but that is how it
is here

Same in the Nederlands, and depending on what source you use you can find
that spelling in Canada as well.

Els
Old October 9th 05, 07:02 PM
Els van Dam

wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i"
in the word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there.
Aren't all our differences what make the world a more interesting
place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian, I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also
pronouncing all the letters that are there, without the EE, which is
the non existant "i". Scratching my head. Can you help me
understand? (laugh)

SImple, Shelagh. We spell it differently in Canada from the way it is
spelled in the UK.

Katherine

Katherine, some sources will spell it the English way and some the American way.

Els
Old October 9th 05, 07:03 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Norma Woods"
wrote:

When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I think it's
spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it Al-u-min-ee-um in my
mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we learned the English pronunciation
"lef-ten-ant" instead of lieutenant.

Yes so do I, but with me it is the Dutch that is coming out...LOL

Els
Old October 9th 05, 07:27 PM
MRH

"Els van Dam" wrote in message

Gemini, that is how I do pronouce it more or less as well A-lu-mi-ni-um.
Is that not also the correct spelling for this ore.

Els

Well Els, on my box of Reynolds Aluminum Foil it is spelled the way I just
spelled it... without the second "i". But after reading all the responses,
I can see that it is spelled with the second "i" in England and Australia.
)

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 9th 05, 07:48 PM
Shillelagh

"Norma Woods" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in school, we learned to spell it the English way. I think it's
spelled the American way, now? I always pronounced it Al-u-min-ee-um in my
mind to spell it out on paper. Same way we learned the English

pronunciation
"lef-ten-ant" instead of lieutenant.

That's another word that amazes me. How you get 'lef-ten-ant" out of the
spelling is a puzzle. I'm Canadian, and we usually stick with English
things, but to me on this word - it's LOO TEN ANT. (shrug)

Shelagh