"Entrepeneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing"

Old January 19th 04, 04:50 AM
CHRIS O SULLIVAN

Default "Entrepeneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing"

Just want to let people know that this book, by Kathleen Fasanella, is
available on Amazon. Kathleen is the seller and I believe there are
only fifteen or so left. The book has been very difficult to get and I
highly reccommend it.
Old January 19th 04, 11:41 AM
Kitty Fluff

Was wondering what you think its strengths are. Does it explain wha
to charge.....breakdown your costs and how to come up with a marke
price? Thanks

BeckyInSeattl

-
Kitty Fluf

Posted via MooTal
http://mootalk.com
Old January 19th 04, 01:31 PM
Amey

SouthStar in TN sells it.

CHRIS O SULLIVAN wrote:

Just want to let people know that this book, by Kathleen Fasanella, is
available on Amazon. Kathleen is the seller and I believe there are
only fifteen or so left. The book has been very difficult to get and I
highly recommend it.

Old January 19th 04, 04:59 PM
Penny S

Kitty Fluff scribbled on a scrap of paper:
Was wondering what you think its strengths are. Does it explain what
to charge.....breakdown your costs and how to come up with a market
price? Thanks.

BeckyInSeattle

yes, here's the table of contents . Trust me, it will be the best money you
ever spend on your business.

Penny S

1. a Newcomers Guide to the trade:
intro, what is manufacturing, reality, what no one ever tells you, free
lance etc.

2. How to plan a line
manufactuing 101, developing concepts, production scheduling, the art of
ordering, design process allocation.....

3. Market
sales reps, contracts, samples, how to scout the market, trends etc.

4. Production
costing, cutting, grading, production sewing, theory, sewing contractors,
etc...

5. Improving Product quality
guides and templates, measuing for shrinkage, fundamentals of fitting,
production pattern making....
6. manangement and trends
financing, why corporations succeed, why people quit, troubleshooting, how
to go broke, theory of manufacturuing management etc...

7 resourceces

Old January 21st 04, 02:01 PM
Kitty Fluff

Thanks Penny...I'm trying to track this book down on eBay and not havin
very good luck finding it!!! Will keep on trudging! lo

BeckyInSeattl

-
Kitty Fluf

Kitty Fluf

Posted via MooTal
http://mootalk.com
Old January 21st 04, 05:03 PM
Penny S

Kitty Fluff wrote:
Thanks Penny...I'm trying to track this book down on eBay and not
having very good luck finding it!!! Will keep on trudging! lol

BeckyInSeattle

www.southstarsupply.com sells it too.

Old January 21st 04, 05:26 PM
Penny S

Kitty Fluff wrote:
Thanks Penny...I'm trying to track this book down on eBay and not
having very good luck finding it!!! Will keep on trudging! lol

BeckyInSeattle

my mistake, try Amazon, not ebay!!

Old January 22nd 04, 12:30 PM
Kitty Fluff

Thanks again Penny! Checked out Southstarsupply! Whoa....this is what I found on the home page:

Visitors please note: Orders less than $25.00 are subject to a $10.00
handling fee. Orders between $25.00 and $50.00 are subject to a $5.00
handling fee.

Now that's awful high in my opinion. They do have LOTS of interesting
items. Sigh.

BeckyInSeattle

--
Kitty Fluff

Old January 22nd 04, 06:12 PM
Penny S

Kitty Fluff wrote:
Thanks again Penny! Checked out Southstarsupply! Whoa....this is
what I found on the home page:

Visitors please note: Orders less than $25.00 are subject to a $10.00
handling fee. Orders between $25.00 and $50.00 are subject to a $5.00
handling fee.

Now that's awful high in my opinion. They do have LOTS of interesting
items. Sigh.

BeckyInSeattl

Here's my opinion. That book is probably the BEST book out there if you are
planning on designing a line of clothes or products and hoping to sell them
in a manner that will be profitable and successful. It will save you
hundreds if not thousands of dollars in stupid mistakes that are very common
to home and non-sewers wanting to break out into retail/wholesale/
marketing. If you are even remotely serious about going into a sewing
business, you need to invest in this.

Southstar caters to sewing professionals. Most businesses that cater to pros
have a minimum. Hint. order two packs of the 10 packs of rotary cutter
blades @ 17$ ea. and you've met the minimum, not so hard to do, and it beats
waiting for a Jo-anns coupon for 50% off one pack of two.

What's your potential success worth to you? If nothing else, request that
your library get it, mine did.

Amazon has 13 copies left, no handling change, type in the author's name
"Fasanella" and it will bring it right up. You get reviews, too.

Re-read this whole thread, it has the table of contents from the book
listed. Of course, you can do whatever you want.

You mentioned originally that you want to design a line of children's
clothes... what do you know, really? Do you know how to determine your
market? Draft an professional pattern that other sewers, when you hire them,
will be able to follow? Do you know what makes a garment look homemade to a
re-seller? Do you know how to calculate how much yardage you'll need, and
how to sew efficiently? Can you break down your costs? Do you understand how
and where copyright law applies to patterns and designs?

I'm not trying to be harsh, just realistic here. One thing this book taught
me was how much I didn't know, and I adjusted my business accordingly.

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old January 22nd 04, 07:00 PM
Ed

On 21 Jan 2004 13:01:14 GMT, Kitty Fluff wrote:

Thanks Penny...I'm trying to track this book down on eBay and not having
very good luck finding it!!! Will keep on trudging! lol

BeckyInSeattle

--
Kitty Fluff

Kitty Fluff

"Entrepeneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing"

ISBN: 0966320840
Format: Paperback, 239pp
Pub. Date: January 1998

give addal.com a try (a book search engine)

http://www3.addall.com/New/submitNew...v&dispCurr=USD

if you find a sourtce you like ... make sure to redo the search with
your state for shipping costs

- Ed
got talc ?
Drysuit talc & bags http://www.underwaterusa.com