blocking how-to sought

Old August 25th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
wolverine

Default blocking how-to sought

hi! I have a question about blocking. What is it?
Why do it? I just completed a baby blanket for grandchild number 2,
and the directions say to block it. Apparently, this is such a common
direction that nowhere in the magazine i obtained the pattern from are
directions given for this procedure. Thanks in advance--any help is
greatly appreciated.

Old August 26th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

wolverine wrote:
hi! I have a question about blocking. What is it?
Why do it? I just completed a baby blanket for grandchild number 2,
and the directions say to block it. Apparently, this is such a common
direction that nowhere in the magazine i obtained the pattern from are
directions given for this procedure. Thanks in advance--any help is
greatly appreciated.

It depends what it's made from. Blocking is supposed to shape a knitted
piece to its intended size, which can help with garments that may be a
smidge too small, or to open up lacework. It mostly only works with
wool, so if it's acrylic, it doesn't `block'. You can however, throw
acrylic in the washer and dryer to even out the stitches, which is
another goal of blocking.

sue
Old August 26th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I never Block , i shape with my knitting , changing stitiches patters
needles etc,,,,
mirjam

Old August 26th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
I never Block , i shape with my knitting , changing stitiches patters
needles etc,,,,
mirjam

Wow, that surprises me. I finished an alpaca shawl a while ago that looked
quite unfinished until I blocked it. Since it is a flat oblong item, there
is no shaping required by stitches. Blocking the shawl also helps pull it
to the proper finished size.

Shelagh

Old August 26th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Aug 26, 3:36 pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
I never Block , i shape with my knitting , changing stitiches patters
needles etc,,,,

You have to block some items. Lace for example often looks like a mess
of nothing until you block it. I find blocking garment pieces
certainly helps me do a neater job when sewing up.

Knitty has an article on blocking you may find helpful:
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

Eunny Yang has a comprehensive post on blocking lace:
http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/1..._be_happy.html

VP

Old August 26th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
friendlyhands

On Aug 26, 2:28 am, Vintage Purls wrote:
On Aug 26, 3:36 pm, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

I never Block , i shape with my knitting , changing stitiches patters
needles etc,,,,

You have to block some items. Lace for example often looks like a mess
of nothing until you block it. I find blocking garment pieces
certainly helps me do a neater job when sewing up.

Knitty has an article on blocking you may find helpful:http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

Eunny Yang has a comprehensive post on blocking lace:http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/1..._be_happy.html

VP

I just steam iron to make yarn know its shape...square...especially
granny squares. The stitches line up better to sew them together as
well.
Hope this helps,
Annette

Old August 27th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
wolverine

On Aug 26, 2:20?am, "Shillelagh" wrote:
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message

I never Block , i shape with my knitting , changing stitiches patters
needles etc,,,,
mirjam

Wow, that surprises me. I finished an alpaca shawl a while ago that looked
quite unfinished until I blocked it. Since it is a flat oblong item, there
is no shaping required by stitches. Blocking the shawl also helps pull it
to the proper finished size.

Shelagh

thank you all so much for your replies. i was worried enough to be
afraid to wash the blanket! unfortuneately, sensitivity to wool
prevents knitting with it---& i do so love the feel and look of wool.

Old August 29th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On Aug 27, 6:36 am, wolverine wrote:
On Aug 26, 2:20?am, "Shillelagh" wrote:

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message

I never Block , i shape with my knitting , changing stitiches patters
needles etc,,,,
mirjam

Wow, that surprises me. I finished an alpaca shawl a while ago that looked
quite unfinished until I blocked it. Since it is a flat oblong item, there
is no shaping required by stitches. Blocking the shawl also helps pull it
to the proper finished size.

Shelagh

thank you all so much for your replies. i was worried enough to be
afraid to wash the blanket! unfortuneately, sensitivity to wool
prevents knitting with it---& i do so love the feel and look of wool.

If you are not using wool, do not block! Back when the instruction
books still assumed all knitters used wool without actually saying so,
but the only places to get yarn had only acrylic, and I was new to
knitting, I killed a bootie trying to block it. Since then, I have
never blocked anything! Even when using wool.

If you are using wool, and you see a need to block -- getting the edge
smooth despite the way the pattern pulls it, getting the patterned
piece to lie flat -- pin it on down on your ironing board with
_rustproof_ pins, lay a dishtowel over it, and wave your steam iron
about an inch above it. Leave it till it dries.

Cece

Old August 29th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
wolverine

On Aug 28, 7:30?pm, Cece wrote:
[...]

Cece- Hide quoted text -

great idea! thank you so much...and an efficient way of blocking also
(considering the dirtractions of 3 dogs, 7 cats, 1 grandchild and
another on the way)

Blocking Wooly Yarn 9 January 23rd 06 09:04 PM
Blocking Laura Yarn 7 April 3rd 04 09:40 PM
OT Opinions sought! ;-) Leslie in Missouri Quilting 14 March 23rd 04 03:51 AM
blocking SlinkyToy Yarn 3 September 9th 03 03:42 PM