Can someone help me find the right yarn?

Old August 24th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Default Thanks, was Can someone help me find the right yarn?

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Melinda did you start from the Middle or the edges ?
mirjam

I'm sorry; I don't understand what you mean here. This was only my
second time trying knitting in the round, and I messed up and lost
stitches and had to re-cast them on a couple of times before I got it right.

She means did you start from the top of the hat (the middle) or the
bottom (the edges).

sue
Old August 25th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Sorry to have confused you Melinda ,,
i like to start hats in the middle , on dps cast on 4 stiches , slide
to other end of needle and k all 4 from the first cast on stich , now
take a dp , k1 make 1 into 1st st. k1 make 1 , [4st go on 1st dp,
take another [2nd] dp , k1 make 1 [2 st on this dp] , and k1 make 1 on
3rd dp.
from now on knit one round and knit 1 make 1 on same stich every 2nd
round till you have enough stitches for circumference of head ,,,,,
now knit as long as you need prefereably in k1 p1 , but you can do it
k2 p2 ,,,,, untill work is long enough cast off in ribbing pattern
with a needle at least 2 mm bigger than knitting needle ..

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Melinda did you start from the Middle or the edges ?
mirjam

TRASH to reply wrote:

Well, hopefully you guys won't be mad at me.

We drove all the way to the other end of town, my 15YODS who I need the
yarn to make a helmet liner for and I, so he could get driving practice
in, and at the store on the other end of town (Beverly's), they had a
much nicer and better supply of yarn (now I am going to have to go over
there every time I want to look at yarn), and we ended up getting
charcoal gray (It looks like a light charcoal gray to me, which was not
what came across on my monitor) Cotton-Ease yarn to make his helmet
liner with. I am hoping one skein will make two.

I did my gauge swatching while waiting at the vet's today, and after
about 4 false starts on knitting in the round, I now have about 2 inches
of hat done.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Old August 25th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Sorry to have confused you Melinda ,,
i like to start hats in the middle , on dps cast on 4 stiches , slide

Ay, there's the rub. I am not really good at double-points -- I am a
big klutz and am always dropping/shoving/whatever them out of the work
and losing stitches. So I bought a needle set with different size
needles and cables, and that works for me.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Vintage Knitting Book - How to find proper yarn MP Yarn 4 August 22nd 07 07:44 PM
Wicked Excited to Find a *Yarn* Newsgroup! Abigail Palmer Yarn 10 January 21st 07 11:46 AM
Yarn find BonnieBlue Yarn 2 December 18th 05 03:31 PM
F/A: Yarn Blowout! 5 skiens winter white sport yarn! N S Marketplace 0 May 19th 04 03:19 AM
AD: Find the items you cant find + more brett Rubberstamps 0 February 24th 04 02:12 PM