need bow tie/cummerbund hardware supply

Old July 13th 03, 03:08 PM
Penny Lemire

Default need bow tie/cummerbund hardware supply

Once again I've walked myself into a volunteer job of
epically idiotic proportions (so what else is new?). Our
middle school bands (and maybe chorus and strings) want to
add bow ties and cummerbunds to the uniform
white-shirt-black-bottoms. This is to add a little pizzaz
and identification for those festivals where 35 schools are
all there with their identical shirt/bottoms sets and herds
of teens all look a lot alike...

I have a team of sewing help, and if I can convince the
director of a little color sense, we have the means to make
these pretty cheeply, but we lack hardware.

So does anyone have a source of bulk quantites (250+) of
buckles and sliders for these, preferably in the US? All my
net serching had turned up nothing - much to my surprise. I
thought this would be easy! I've landed web sites to sell
me the finished things, but no buckles.

Thanks,
$.01

Old July 13th 03, 04:42 PM
Atom1

www.sewsassy.com has the hooks used for bow ties, they sell by the gross
(144) for $25. I have always used d rings for the cumberbunds, plastic
preferably. Have ordered from them before, very quick service.

Old July 16th 03, 02:44 AM
Penny Lemire

Atom1 wrote:

www.sewsassy.com has the hooks used for bow ties, they sell by the gross
(144) for $25. I have always used d rings for the cumberbunds, plastic
preferably. Have ordered from them before, very quick service.

Thanks - this should do the trick - now to get the band
director to show some sense....

$.01

Old July 17th 03, 01:56 PM
Charlie

Would it not be easier and cheaper to make traditional bow ties? All it is
it two layers of satin and a layer of very heavy interfacing.

Charlie.

Old July 18th 03, 08:23 PM
Penny S.

Penny Lemire scribbled :
I agree the "real thing" looks better, but unfortunately
this would require me to teach ~200 middleschoolers how to
properly tie one, and no doubt re-teach them again in the
five minutes before a performance. The last major
competition (which they won!) included last minute panic
repairs on 2 french horns, a missing sax mouthpiece, and two
skinned knees. Our bows will be anchored firmly to a band
encircling thier necks. Nothing more complicated than a hook
to put them on.

Hummmm. This might even provide an anchor point...

$.01

my thought is that a bulk purchase from an dance/uniform/costume company
would be lots cheaper and easier

the other Penny (S)

Old July 20th 03, 03:48 AM
Penny Lemire

Penny S. wrote:
Penny Lemire scribbled :

I agree the "real thing" looks better, but unfortunately
this would require me to teach ~200 middleschoolers how to
properly tie one, and no doubt re-teach them again in the
five minutes before a performance. The last major
competition (which they won!) included last minute panic
repairs on 2 french horns, a missing sax mouthpiece, and two
skinned knees. Our bows will be anchored firmly to a band
encircling thier necks. Nothing more complicated than a hook
to put them on.

Hummmm. This might even provide an anchor point...

$.01

my thought is that a bulk purchase from an dance/uniform/costume company
would be lots cheaper and easier

the other Penny (S)

So far, everything I've gotten quoted (six companies) has
been more expensive than making by quite a bit, especially
if you take drry cleaning into account. I'm planning on
these being washable (I've done this before). At least in
this area the cleaners charge $4 per set per cleaning.
Right now, I'm estimating $6 per set to make, so...

And I have a team of ~10 sewists ready and willing to help.
If anyone has a cheeper company in mind, I really do have
other things to do with my life. But right now our school is
shorter on money than volunteers.

$.01

Workshop supply list grump Clooniff Quilting 22 December 16th 04 04:03 AM
Tier tray hardware source? Jstack Marketplace 0 November 22nd 04 01:33 AM
Hardware store update Harry Beads 10 December 22nd 03 11:15 PM
punches, punch totes, and supply totes... ElsScraps General Crafting 0 November 23rd 03 06:07 PM
Rouge supply in NY? Ben Snyder Jewelry 2 September 19th 03 03:27 AM