UFO's and favorite fabrics!

Old November 18th 05, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default UFO's and favorite fabrics!

So I have been in a "just finish it" mood lately. I have almost
finished up a Raggedy Ann and Andy doll set, just some final tweaking
and then box up to ship off to their destination. Then I created a
quick block pattern out of some bright fabrics that I didn't care much
for, thought that it might make a neat backing for a baby quilt (ok, so
that was new, but it was easy and fast and will hopefully back a UFO).
But I have spend a lot of time rootling through my bucket of fabrics
and found one of the very first quilt tops I had every started.

I decided about 3 years ago that I wanted to make a quilt for my priest
and his wife as they were leaving our church. I found some wonderful
fabrics and an easy block at QuiltersCache.com that looked nice. I
stopped because I just couldn't figure out how to do the borders, not
sew them on, but what color sequence and sizes. I've had just a little
bit of practice quilting since then, and have finished a few quilts.
So I pulled it out, cut the outer border and spread the whole thing out
on the floor in the dining room (no table in there yet).

As I stood back and looked at the top with the newly cut border laying
beside it, I fell in love all over again. I have decided that I am not
giving up this quilt and that I am a forever fan of Robyn Pandolph's
Bed of Roses line....too bad they aren't so easy to find, and too bad
that I didn't buy all that the quilt shop had left in their supply -
ALL of it! Couldn't afford to do it though!

Now I am so excited that I can't wait to finish this top and save up
enough money to have it quilted! And I'm so excited that I couldn't
help but share with you all!

Dannielle

Old November 18th 05, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Good for you Dannielle -- I'm happy dancing for you in the snow (well,
I will when I go out to shovel in a few minutes)

I've also been on a sort of get it done mode. I wanted to size down
the pineapple block I got out of the Paper Piecing book (alex anderson)
to the typical HUG size requested so I could use it for future requests
-- well, with no copy machine around to size down the one I had traced
out of the book -- I spent the better part of a Red Wings game the
other night with pencil, paper, ruler, and after many many tries
finally got a draft down that looked right -- I made up the block last
night and since I didn't have final plans for it, put a small border
around it and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. It was a pain
to put together at the beginning (apparently my awkwardness with that
aspect wasn't just because I was new to it last time -- the beginning
looked just as weird and off to me this time too) but it came out well
I think.

Anyway, one more post and I'm off to dance in the snow for you.

Tricia

Old November 19th 05, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tricia, get yourself a scanner. They're not terribly expensive and will let
you change the size of patterns and print them. You can do heaps of cool
things with a scanner without having to suffer through 4 years of flight
training at the nearest Air Force base. Of course, if you get a scanner,
you don't get to admire the Xerox guy with the nice bod but we all do what
we must do. Polly
oups.com...