why turn clothes inside out for washing

Old September 12th 04, 05:54 PM
teleflora

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
DH no end, but I have *tried* to explain it all to hem...

Explain it all to "hem"???? hehehehhe. Guess we can all figure out what
Kate is working on today.

Cindy

Old September 12th 04, 06:05 PM
Kate Dicey

teleflora wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

DH no end, but I have *tried* to explain it all to hem...

Explain it all to "hem"???? hehehehhe. Guess we can all figure out what
Kate is working on today.

Cindy

I swear the keyboard is more dyslexic than I am some days!

He does the ironing... I just make things!

Actually, at the moment he's putting up a big mirror for me while I
re-organize the sewing room after yesterdays trip to IKEA. I need to
stop and cook the dinner, as it's just gone six here.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 12th 04, 07:42 PM

My fantasy has been that inside-out washing of jeans prevented uneven fading
due to washing machine parts rubbing on them.

S'pose it's true? In addition to the other reasons posted.

Tom Willmon
Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Sure it's funny! Now beam my clothes down Scotty!

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
Old September 12th 04, 07:53 PM
Debra

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:52:33 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

"Alan Horowitz" wrote in message
. com...
I first observed people doing this when washing clothes by hand, in
the Philippines. I presumed it was a local folkloric nonsense.

Just recently, I noticed that the fine print of the Care Label of my
jeans, includes a instruction to turn inside out before washing.

What is the reason for it?

Because we don't "wear" clothes out, we "wash" them out. The top loading
machines with the big agitator really are hard on clothes. The thing that
really impressed me was how little lint ends up in the filter of my friend's
dryer after they have been in the front loading washer. She cleans her
filter after every 8-10 loads. I have to clean mine after every load. That
lint is the fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front loader
next time, but I would like one of the top loaders with the agitator that
swings from side to side rather than bouncing up and down.
Cindy

If your current machine's agitator goes up and down you are going to
hate the ones that rotate/swish side to side instead. They don't
clean as well, and you still have the same amount of lint as your
current washer. You might want to think seriously about getting a
front loader instead. They clean clothes really well as long as you
don't overload the machine, and they are the gentlest on fabric, and
they use less water and a lot less detergent. If you live in the US
and you think you need to buy a special detergent, don't worry. You
don't have to buy expensive special low-sudsing detergent, just use
half as much (or less) than what you use in a top loader. The
expensive "special" detergent is a gimmick invented by one name brand
front loading washing machine manufacturing company that also owns a
company that makes a name brand detergent.

Note: If you live in the US, research front loaders before buying one
because many of the name brands sold for home use in the US are not as
good as they should be. Someday, hopefully soon, the US brands will
have front loaders for homes that are as good as the ones the European
brands sell for homes.

Debra in VA
Old September 12th 04, 08:05 PM
Karen Maslowski

Have you ever noticed that dark clothing stays dark on the inside, and
fades on the outside? For that reason I turn all my dark clothing inside
out before washing. I've had much less fading since I've done this. And
that might be the reason for the directions to turn your jeans inside out.

Karen in Ohio

Old September 12th 04, 08:14 PM
ItsJoanNotJoAnn

"Laura B." wrote in message ...

No one mentioned that the inside of clothes is where all the dead skin
cells, body oils and sweat accumulate as well. I'm sure it gets cleaner
inside out.

Laura B.

Lurker and sometime simple sewer coming out of hiding.

Oooooh Laura, I had not thought of the body oils, sweat, etc. That's
a great tip!

I do wash all my things inside out though because some things have
decorations on the outside and don't want them damaged in the wash by
other items. Screen printed t-shirts come readily to mind.
Old September 12th 04, 09:33 PM
teleflora

"Debra" wrote in message
If your current machine's agitator goes up and down you are going to
hate the ones that rotate/swish side to side instead. They don't
clean as well, and you still have the same amount of lint as your
current washer. You might want to think seriously about getting a
front loader instead.

The only reason that I am hesitating is because I don't want to get down on
my hands and knees to get clothes out of the washer. I know that's an
exaggeration, but not by much. I realize that there are pedestals for the
w/d to sit on, but then I lose valuable "flat surface" in my utility room.
I guess everything is a trade-off.

Cindy

Old September 12th 04, 09:49 PM
AmazeR

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:52:33 -0500, teleflora wrote:
What is the reason for it?

Because we don't "wear" clothes out, we "wash" them out. The top loading
machines with the big agitator really are hard on clothes. The thing that
really impressed me was how little lint ends up in the filter of my friend's
dryer after they have been in the front loading washer. She cleans her
filter after every 8-10 loads. I have to clean mine after every load. That
lint is the fabric of your garment. I don't know that I want a front loader
next time, but I would like one of the top loaders with the agitator that
swings from side to side rather than bouncing up and down.
Cindy

Interesting that you mention the front loader, Cindy. I have one of these
my DH bought for me 4 yrs ago and I would never go back to a top loader.
The front loader is much gentler on my clothes and washes up to 95degC for
whites (but I use it for tea-towels too). I just so love it compared to
my old top loader. It is much smaller too.

Mavis

Old September 13th 04, 12:02 AM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

AmazeR wrote:

Interesting that you mention the front loader, Cindy. I have one of these
my DH bought for me 4 yrs ago and I would never go back to a top loader.
The front loader is much gentler on my clothes and washes up to 95degC for
whites (but I use it for tea-towels too). I just so love it compared to
my old top loader. It is much smaller too.

What brand did you get, that it has lasted 4 years? I hear all sorts of
complaints about various brands and haven't found one yet that seems to
be reliable.

--
Where no oxen are, the crib is clean,
But much benefit is derived from the labor of the ox.