OT Four Seasons Singles Group 'N Me- very long but funny

Old August 27th 03, 05:14 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Default OT Four Seasons Singles Group 'N Me- very long but funny

Yes. I went to The Four Seasons Singles Group again last night. It was a
much smaller turn-out without the raucous atmosphere of the band and the
rip-roaring appeal of twirling around the dance floor to the gravitating
sounds of the hillbilly hymns. The cast was set when I came thru the
door- they were already hard at it playing a cut-throat game of cards
called Seven Up-Seven own. There was Karen, the leader, mid-60s and a
BIG gal- she's pleasant and tries to keep the group talking and moving
along. Clifford One- 87 who complains that his wives don't "last" long
enough- has food stains down the front of his shirt. Clifford Two
(related? who knows??? This *IS* The Ozarks! LOL) thank goodness he
didn't start in with the "pretty lady" whispers, but he did remove his
eyeballs and glue them to the front of my blouse and left them there the
entire evening. Augda was there again- I didn't realize it but she was a
first timer last week as well- she and Freeman spent so much time
dancing that I didn't hardly see her- she's 80-ish. Freeman. Oh, he's
the ladykiller of the bunch- 80-ish also! =A0 He dances every dance (can
hardly walk and barely shuffles on the dance floor!), charms everyone
(how?!?!?) and has Augda wrapped around his little finger and calling
him "Honey" already! Then there's Alex who is very quiet and had a
stroke which has affected is ability to walk but is very sharp mentally-
I'd guess he's mid 70s. =A0 Carl is an old timer who was in the hospital
last week- he's on oxygen and keeps saying it's so hot in here I can't
breathe. (It was pleasantly cool in the room.) He looked so gray I kept
reviewing my police training to recall CPR instructions. But the main
thing running thru my mind was "Please God, make him have brushed his
teeth today". Awful, I know..... I may be a dyed blonde, but I truly
*do* qualify!!! And then there's me.

We were sitting at the large round table playing this card game... me
with the eyeballs glued to my chest. This was an interesting experience.
They do not take turns.... well, they kinda do, but they forget whose
turn it is. Three of the people do not have the mental ability to play
the game, so the people on both sides of them are arguing which cards
they should be playing. Augda has figgered out that I usually slightly
raise the card I will play next or I place it to the left, so she keeps
peeking at my hand so she can plan her next play since she plays right
after me. Why, I have no idea, since she nearly always passes so that
she can help "Honey" with his hand. "Honey Freeman" gets a hand on his
thigh and a "Honey, play *this* card*" comment. He beams, plays the
card, and comments on what a great day/game/group this is.

Alex plays quietly and correctly after Freeman, then Carl plays loudly
and aggressively. He does NOT like it when the cards are messy or
someone puts a diamond on the hearts! Well, red on red is darn close for
*this* group!!! Then he wipes his dry face and comments on the heat
again. Next, it's old Clifford who often "jumps" his turn.... if he has
a *hot* card he's anxious to play, he'll sneak it out there any time he
feels like it! Generally, they tend to ignore him and then just skip him
when he's off daydreaming. I guess it all works out as he never seems to
run out of cards first- which is how you win. Then on to Clifford Two.
They can tell him to play the two of hearts and he can take it out of
his hand, but he cannot place it on the hearts pile! =A0 I do not
understand why he recognizes it in his hand, but cannot follow thru with
the recognition..... maybe it's cuz his eyes are still glued to my
chest? hmmmmmm.... Karen is usually so busy chattering away, it takes
some time so get her attention to tell her it's her turn, so I've taken
to nudging her arm. She always acts startled that it's her again
already. Then my turn again..... with Augda peeking. It was exhausting!
As they say- like herding cats to the bath! Each of us manages to win a
few times except Augda. I think she finds winning to be un-ladylike. She
is quite disapproving of my boisterous enthusiasm, but smiles on me with
an air of condensation. This coming from a skinny little gal with a
balding head and a pot belly with a "Honey" with dirty teeth and little
ability to concentrate but then he *is* a dancing fool..... and all *I*
have is Clifford...... and my "youth"! LOL

Karen was telling how they all had attended the dance at the Senior
Center the previous Friday night and they all chattered on about who
danced together, who sat where and what was offered to eat. It seems
sitting by the trash can or by the restrooms are the most popular
choices as everybody will be passing by there at some point- or at many,
many points. It's a "see and be seen" thing! The competition for the men
is really brutal at that age as the men are dying off and there is an
excess of old ladies. The men are VERY aware of it and it is hilarious
the way they take advantage!!! Karen mentioned that she had asked Young
Clifford to dance several times and he refused her. Clifford looked me
dead-on and said he only dances with his mama and with pretty ladies. Oh
my Gawd! He's saving himself for ME!!!! Here's where I want to crawl
under the table again. Carl makes a sound of sheer and utter disgust and
heaves himself up and off to the men's room dragging his oxygen tank.

The card game has broken up and Skinny Don comes in. He helps himself to
a slice of pizza- better food for game night than the sandwiches at the
"potluck dinner" last week! Alex and Don decide to play some pool.....
Alex can hardly walk from the stroke, so I'm wondering....... Young
Clifford has a "crik" in his leg (don't ask- he was staring at me when
he said it!!! OMG!) and needed to walk it off in the other room. I sat
there and talked with Karen for a while then wandered into the pool
room. They were down to the last few balls. I watched a few shots, but
since I don't know much about the rules I was fairly lost. I *do* know
that you are supposed to *hit* the white ball with the stick...... which
Alex seldom managed to do. Sad. But he kept trying. When Don was down to
the white ball and the eight ball he had a perfect shot to the corner
pocket. He did some fancy tapping on the side of the table, lined up his
shot and down the ball went into the corner pocket. I did a little
cheerleader rah-rah thing and he turned on me with a MAJOR dirty look
and made some comment under is breath. I asked what??? He said he just
lost the game! =A0 I asked why, I don't know the rules, please explain
what just happened? He said he called the side pocket! What a dummy he
is! It was the most perfect straight shot into the corner pocket,
obviously, and he made it so WHY would he have called the side pocket???
Men! I got outta there!

We went back to sit at the round table to chat. They were eating store
bought banana bread. Out of boredom I read the label..... 310 calories
per 2 slices and 190 of them are fat! I nearly fainted and crossed
myself- thankful that I had resisted eating anything. No wonder Karen is
a BIG girl! Sheesh! Then the inevitable question..... how had I lost my
weight. I explained that I had literally starved myself for 11+ months
and every day I am so hungry that I want to start gnawing on my arm.
It's annoying how people want to lose but have no intention of making
any changes in their habits to do so..... they just want it to
disappear..... and seem to resent that you have! Change the subject-
quick!

Clifford must have hung on my every word last week as he is
well-prepared. He tells me his mama has two quilt tops she wants me to
quilt for her! Uh-oh! =A0 I tell him I don't do that kind of quilting.
He asks me if I'd do it special for his mama. No. He even knows to tell
me that one is a Double Wedding Ring and starts explaining about how she
cut the pieces out and sewed them together..... I mean he has done is
homework and is prepared with conversational material to talk with me!
It was quite touching. And he washed his hair too. (He is actually nice
looking- once you get past the gut! LOL) I mention several people I know
who do quilting and try my darndest to side track him. Like his
eyeballs, he has a one-track mind. I finally derail him with specific
names and the promise to write down some phone numbers. Whew! Close
call!!!

They chatted on about the people they knew- who was sick, who was
getting married, life growing up in the area, places they lived and have
been, family gatherings, dancing a "jig" dance (???), butchering
chickens (twisting their heads off???) and many things I had never heard
of before. I realized that these folks have lived here all their lives
and have a long history together. They know things I will never know and
some things I don't even *want* to know (twisting their heads off???).
Even tho they are very nice to me I will never truly fit in here- I am
from a totally different world. I most likely will not go back again
after my upcoming vacation. (Did I tell you I leave Sunday for ten days
with my granddarlings in NH?)

So. That ends the short but sweet tale of The Four Season Singles Group
and me.

Leslie, Clifford-less and Alone Once Again VBEG

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life.... they make
my life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old August 27th 03, 06:59 PM
Pat in Virginia

LOL!! So when you get back from NH, will you write a report on
your meet and greet with LN?? This could be *very* itnertesting
.... you have a way with words! He he ... PAT in VA/USA

...... cut very long and funny report on club meeting .....

Old August 27th 03, 07:52 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I'm thinking she should give Clifford your name and addy, Sandy. For
quilting purposes, of course.

Leslie? Am I a granddarling? :P
--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
Excellent telling, Les. Thanks!
Don't stop writing, tho', whether or not you go back to the Party Pack;
this was entertaining. And you mentioned quilts! You go, Girly! LOL
Ragmop/Sandy
"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
[...]
the ladykiller of the bunch- 80-ish also! He dances every dance (can
hardly walk and barely shuffles on the dance floor!), charms everyone
(how?!?!?) and has Augda wrapped around his little finger and calling
him "Honey" already! Then there's Alex who is very quiet and had a
stroke which has affected is ability to walk but is very sharp mentally-
I'd guess he's mid 70s. Carl is an old timer who was in the hospital
[...]

his hand, but he cannot place it on the hearts pile! I do not
[...]

lost the game! I asked why, I don't know the rules, please explain
[...]

quilt for her! Uh-oh! I tell him I don't do that kind of quilting.

Old August 27th 03, 07:55 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

We have been going crazy making a time to meet. The time I originally made
to meet with her is my regular quilting day at my house. D'oh! She's alergic
to cats and can't enter my house (Leslie, does this mean I should wash all
the quilts I bring out for show and tell so you won't have any alergy
probs?). Sigh... So I'm canceling my quilting day for that week cuz none of
the other openings in her schedule are long enough!

And I had better behave, cuz I'm sure she WILL write about it all!

Old August 27th 03, 10:16 PM
Diana Curtis

She had better! Little to no embellishment either!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 27th 03, 10:48 PM
Elena

That was a GREAT report! Thanks so much for making me smile multiple times!
I can't wait to hear your travelogue about LN and NH and the granddarlings!

Elena in Tx, feeling much better now.

Old August 27th 03, 11:51 PM
DDM

As entertaining as the tales of the Four Seasons Singles Group have been,
this is the one we're all really waiting for!
What can we bribe you with, Leslie, for the full story of the NH meet-up?

Dee in LeRoy, NY

Old August 28th 03, 02:49 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

This should be interesting- she has the gift of embellishment from all
that crazy quilting. I seem to have a gift for the much, much longer
post. Who will win the contest of the meet-up post? She'll get off to
the quicker start.... I can't post till I get home on Monday night!
Waaahhhh! She has an unfair advantage of getting the sympathy vote!!!

Leslie, The Underdog needs your vote!!! LOL

Old August 28th 03, 02:56 AM
Shelly

Yep! That she will. She'll probably always be known to that particular group
of ladies as the "young chick" that they had to protect all their honey's
from until they FINALLY ran her off! lol I rather enjoyed this little
short-lived escapade.lol
Shelly
"Lisa Ellis" wrote in message
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:

I most likely will not go back again after my upcoming vacation. (Did I

tell you I leave Sunday for ten days
with my granddarlings in NH?)

Even if you never go back you will have provided material for the gossip
mill...Have fun in NH!!

lisae

---