Blue Jeans Quilts Questions

Old September 29th 04, 09:00 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Blue Jeans Quilts Questions

Those blue jeans quilts are fast and fun, right? So, I've been
saving some jeans, 'until I have enough.'. Looking for something
else, I had to move a HUGE stack of used jeans. I realized I have
MORE than enough to make one, or more. Well duh, I have way too many!

Now that I finished the Valences for Family Room I want to do
quilty type stuff again. Okay, I guess those blue jeans quilts
are really just marginally quilts, but are fun and useful anyhow.

Questions: First, about how many pairs of medium to large adult
jeans would be required to make one large sofa quilt? Second, and
more important, what thread do you recommend for the piecing?

Thank you.
PAT in VA/USA

Old September 29th 04, 10:19 PM
Joanna

I would say about four or five pairs for a sofa quilt but I'm guessing
at the size your thinking. I've made queen and king size and use about
15 pairs. But it also depends on your pattern. The one I'm working on
now will have frayed edges. So my seams are 5/8. That's a lot when you
look at a queen size. It covered about one and half times my bed before
sewn but once it's done it will fit perfect. The others I have done just
a normal 1/4 seam and then you don't need as much. I use normal
Guiternmann thread. Although I have used Coats and Clark polyester
wrapped cotton as well. My only advice is make your stitches smaller. I
was used to using big stitches, and a few seams came loose. Since I use
the smaller stitch never had a problem.
Joanna

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old September 30th 04, 04:33 AM
Polly Esther

Pat, I saw your post earlier but thought I might just be feeling grumpy and
didn't answer. Jeans quilts are not fun. They are heavy. Really heavy. They
are sturdy, loved, and wonderful and I don't regret the three I made for our
grands. Fun? Mercy no. You will have calluses on your hands, scissors,
rotary blades and temper long before you get them cut. And when you get to
the last few rows, your shoulders will ask what in the @#$! you're
thinking. Other than that? Sooner or later, you will be crossing many
thicknesses of denim - so, please give your SM a break and use a tough
needle and change it sooner than you usually would.
I tied mine. Quilting of any sort was out of the question. Tied one with
string (cute), one with yarn (nice-looking) and one with skinny ribbon
(precious). The quilts will last forever. The grands love them. The SMs have
forgiven me. But, no. It got to be a bit heavier than fun. Polly

newsFF6d.1730$Yu3.473@clgrps12...

Journal quilts Marjorie Needlework 3 January 26th 05 01:28 AM
New Northcott, Timeless Treasures, Nancy Crow, more at The Virginia Quilter! The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 September 17th 04 05:54 PM
Beginner Lampworking Questions Maeven Beads 11 September 10th 04 04:55 PM
The ten questions I want you to answer Jalynne Beads 19 June 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Baby Quilts LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 1 August 22nd 03 05:45 PM