fell for it again-coda

Old July 10th 03, 04:52 PM

Default fell for it again-coda

fell for it again-coda

Julia Altshuler asked:
snip
=A0=A0=A0=A0Here's the question for everybody: How do your rulers hold
up over time? What do you to make them last?
---
Check out metal rules with cork backings at any quality art supply
store. The markings are etched on the rulers, and you don't have to
worry about warping, markings disappearing, plastic getting old and
brittle, stress breakage, etc. The cork backing keeps them from sliding
on the fabric.
I paid a small fortune for a large plastic dressmaker's curve, and it
has split, despite careful handling. Wish I could find a metal one.
Cea

Old July 14th 03, 05:56 AM
Lakaya M. Peeples

metal is great, hard to find...but there are three places I go, 1. fabric
store, if they don't have what I need I go to 2. art store...you'd be
surprised all the different types of rulers used in art...and made of metal,
and 3. drafting supply houses. they have metal t-squares, I found a
protractor made of metal....makes nice granny circs and I don't remember
seeing a French curve or not but check those places first, then if that
fails...flip over your metal ruler...write down the name of the company
embossed in it....send them a letter of what you looking for to see if they
have it or is willing to make it. also, while you are at the arts and craft
store...see if they have that very thin cork with self stick adhesive on the
back....that way when the stuff on your original wears out, you can replace
it. just don't get felt..found out the hard way it lifts the ruler to far
off the fabric.

peepla

--ps....love the teapot / sugarbowl metaphor...that was way cool.

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:52:46 -0400 (EDT),
wrote:

fell for it again-coda

Julia Altshuler asked:
snip
=A0=A0=A0=A0Here's the question for everybody: How do your rulers hold
up over time? What do you to make them last?
---
Check out metal rules with cork backings at any quality art supply
store. The markings are etched on the rulers, and you don't have to
worry about warping, markings disappearing, plastic getting old and
brittle, stress breakage, etc. The cork backing keeps them from sliding
on the fabric.
I paid a small fortune for a large plastic dressmaker's curve, and it
has split, despite careful handling. Wish I could find a metal one.
Cea

1 template created from paper or plastic curve+1 piece of sheet metal
(and finishing supplies as needed to avoid corrosion)+1 dremel with
appropriate bits+1 DH (because he is convinced he is better at this
stuff than me, truth is, he just likes playing with the dremel)= one
metal curve. Afterwards I rubbed colored metal filler into the etched
marks so they were easy to see.

NightMist
--

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?

Old July 14th 03, 05:11 PM

fell for it again-coda

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2003, 6:40am
(EDT+4) From: (NightMist)
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:52:46 -0400 (EDT),

wrote:
fell for it again-coda
=A0=A0Julia Altshuler asked: snip
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0Here's the question for everybody: How do your rulers =
hold
up over time? What do you to make them last?
---
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Check out metal rules with cork backings at any
quality art supply store. The markings are etched on the rulers, and you
don't have to worry about warping, markings disappearing, plastic
getting old and brittle, stress breakage, etc. The cork backing keeps
them from sliding on the fabric.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I paid a small fortune for a large plastic
dressmaker's curve, and it has split, despite careful handling. Wish I
could find a metal one.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0Cea
Nightmist supplies directions:
1 template created from paper or plastic curve+1 piece of sheet metal
(and finishing supplies as needed to avoid corrosion)+1 dremel with
appropriate bits+1 DH (because he is convinced he is better at this
stuff than me, truth is, he just likes playing with the dremel)=3D one
metal curve. Afterwards I rubbed colored metal filler into the etched
marks so they were easy to see.
NightMist
---
Aren't you too clever!! Any particular weight of sheet metal? What
anti-corrosion materials did you use?
This sounds very do-able. I love you forever!
Cea