crimping technique question - crimp too tight!

Old July 19th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default crimping technique question - crimp too tight!

Okay, I know how to make a crimp. I've made hundreds and I do them
pretty well. I even make sure not to get my 'wires crossed' before
the crimp. Here's my problem: I don't like wire to show so I pull my
necklace pretty taught and sometimes my beading wire gets funky and
the necklace gets skewed. It's made harder by the fact that I use the
wire guards (which I love) because I have to have that piece of wire
pulled tight before the crimp and I end up pulling too taught.

I think my real problem is that I've never read anything about leaving
"wiggle room" before crimping so I feel I have to pull it taught to
get the beads as close together as possible. Then I put a crimp cover
over my bead.

What is the best way to leave a little wiggle room so the necklace is
loosy goosey without showing much wire, and what is deemed an
appropriate amount of wire to show and where should that wire show?

Thanks.

Libbi
Old July 19th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:52:46 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
wrote:

What is the best way to leave a little wiggle room so the necklace is
loosy goosey without showing much wire, and what is deemed an
appropriate amount of wire to show and where should that wire show?

You may also wish to address this question on the rec.crafts.beads newsgroup,
since there are likely many more people doing this sort of bead stringing
jewelry work than here on rec.crafts.jewelry, which usually more emphasizes the
metalworking aspects. Not that this is the wrong place to ask, just that you'll
likely get somewhat fewer answers.

For me, your question has two sections in my answer. The first is explanatory.
Bead stringing on wire is relatively new in popularity. Wires have been used,
of course, in the past, but the highly flexible multi strand cable wires, such
as beadalon, tigertail, and other bead stringing wires that are popular now,
have only been around for perhaps 25 years or so. Long before that, the
traditions of beading originate mostly with the types of cords used before these
wires, on both pearls and other beads. These cords, such as nylon cord, or more
traditional yet, silk, behave differently from the wires. For one, they're
easily knotted between beads to provide a spacer function, which limbers up the
strand a bit,and they're inherently limp to begin with. Normally, those types
of cord are usually strung initially somewhat tight, in anticipation that the
cord will usually stretch a bit in use and loosen up. Starting fairly tight
reduces the chance that the strand will end up looking too sloppy. The
flexible wire materials, however, don't stretch in use enough to matter. So
basically, you should simply take care to allow as much slack as you find will
be needed to make the necklace hang as it should. There's no magic to this,
since different types of wire or beads may need differing amounts of slack to
achieve this. You shouldn't generally try to get the strands totally tight,
since as you've found, they go wonky and hang crooked. Remember that any slack
you leave will usually remain around the back of the neck next to the clasp and
crimps. while you may see it when holding the necklace in your hand, when worn
it won't be especially noticable or objectionable.

Hope that helps.

Peter
Old July 19th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Maren at google

On Jul 18, 4:52 pm, wrote:
Okay, I know how to make a crimp. I've made hundreds and I do them
pretty well. I even make sure not to get my 'wires crossed' before
the crimp. Here's my problem: I don't like wire to show so I pull my
necklace pretty taught and sometimes my beading wire gets funky and
the necklace gets skewed. It's made harder by the fact that I use the
wire guards (which I love) because I have to have that piece of wire
pulled tight before the crimp and I end up pulling too taught.

Libbi,

I think you're better off in rec.crafts.beads with that question.

Maren
(occasionally visiting here from rec.crafts.beads)
Old July 19th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Peter and Maren. I actually wondered which would be the better
forum, now I know this is more for metalworking stuff. Thanks so
much. I'll re-post... and thanks for the advice Peter.
Old July 23rd 08, 06:23 AM
Softflexgirl Softflexgirl is offline
Junior Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ
Send a message via AIM to Softflexgirl

Hi! I think that a good way to feel confident about leaving wiggle room and maybe exposing your wire a little bit is to pick a complimentary color of beading wire. There are so many color options these days. Steel tone definitely will stick out and look unsightly.

Sara Hardin
www.SoftFlexCompany.com
Old July 31st 08, 07:45 AM
Lakers Lakers is offline
Member

I have been waiting for about 5 days now but the shipping times are 10-19 days. As soon as I get them I will let you know. I have not seen you on that forum for a long time now and I was wondering where you are? How did it go with the collection that you got? Here is the link to the beads again http://www.liangdianup.com/beadscrafts_1.htm and here is the link to the Swarovski beads http://www.liangdianup.com/inventory/900020.htm if those links don't work then you can goto www.lducompany.com and click on the beads picture, that should take you right there. I hope you see this message and get back to me cause I miss talking to you

Help with really vague technique question Sue Needlework 10 September 26th 06 02:21 PM
Crimping Beads Question Joe Beads 5 April 20th 05 02:02 PM
crimp question biig Beads 5 March 10th 04 01:46 AM
crimp tube question laura Beads 2 August 7th 03 02:54 AM
Crimping Question SmartAlecBlonde4 Beads 14 July 7th 03 01:08 AM