glass from China?

Old May 11th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default glass from China?

have any of you heard about or have you tried any of the stained glass
being produced in China?
you may not be able to get it in the US yet, but Turkey seems to have
an 'agreement' with China
and my new wholesaler has it in stock. she says it may be problematic
to work with for some. i'm just wondering if i should try it. it IS a
lot cheaper than what we're getting from the US...

have any of you heard about this stuff?

thanks,

A.
(a former professor of mine in NJ has dubbed me 'the glass
goddess'...now if i could only translate that into Turkish i could put
it on my business card!!)

Old May 11th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hello!

I'm fairly new to glass work, but I have used a few different types of
glass. You're right - the chinese glass is much cheaper! The stuff I
bought was 4mm machine rolled with a slight ripple in it. I have to say
that I noticed no difference when I was cutting it (although admittedly
this may reflect my own inexperience).

When I bought it my supplier told me that there was no problem with the
quality, however, the colour can vary from one batch to another. So
buy as much as you need in the one order!

I've put mine in a leaded light which is now in my house - it looks fab
even if I say so myself. I've no complaints. Give it a go and see
what you think!

JJ

Old May 11th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Stained glass has been made in China for several years. Houston Stained
Glass has been having their line of Gecko made over there for several
years. Armstrong Glass moved their entire operation over there several
years ago and I think the glass is of better quality than when it was
made here. Spectrum has several clear textures made in China. There is
at least one other brand of stained glass made there but the name
escapes me. What isn't made in China these days? They have cutting edge
technology and dedicated workers.

Andy

Old May 11th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

If the Chinese can operate a space program, develop sophisticated
nuclear technology, and create advanced robotic production systems,
it's safe to assume they can make decent coloured glass. You should
expect to see a consistent increase in imports of art glass from China.
The price difference is too great to ignore. The latest containerload
prices I checked were just under $1./sf US for ring mottle and .55
cents/sf for cathedral. I'm anxious to see if the Chinese factories
start producing fuse compatible glass - and expect when they do, it'll
be COE 96 to fit with the Spectrum/Uroboros line of Systems 96.

Old May 16th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
have any of you heard about or have you tried any of the stained glass
being produced in China?
you may not be able to get it in the US yet, but Turkey seems to have
an 'agreement' with China
and my new wholesaler has it in stock. she says it may be problematic
to work with for some. i'm just wondering if i should try it. it IS a
lot cheaper than what we're getting from the US...

have any of you heard about this stuff?

thanks,

A.

I've been using some of the clears, and substituting them for their US
counterparts, where there's a good match. The opals are still pretty poor
looking. Keep in mind that the biggest expense in the cost of a finished SG
project is, by far and away the labor. That's why the Chinese imports are so
cheap, not because of the glass. If you're making something for pleasure or
profit, it's your choice as to using great glass or OK glass.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old May 16th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Advice well taken. right now, i need to 'create a market' here...
price counts...actually, i will have no competition for hundreds of
miles...
but the economy is still shaky...

I've seen some of the Chinese streaky imports and don't think they are
all that bad looking...maybe we're seeing different samples, I don't
know..

I can't get as much for my labor as i'd like...at least not yet...so if
i keep my
material costs low for now, i'll be better off in the short-term.

What I want to know is this...what's the 'working' quality like? will i
see a
huge difference between a US product and a Far East product? will i
have
problems cutting the glass?

thanks

arlene

Old May 16th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Fusible in art glass normally means all the colors and clears are
compatible with each other whatever the COE.
All glass is fusible in the sense of melting together, but if it is not
tested compatible, then each combination of colors and clear must be tested
by the artist for excessive stress before use in pieces which will be torn
apart if not compatible.
System 96 is tested compatible - all the glass so designated is tested
regularly against a clear base glass so they should work without further
testing by the artist.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
wrote in message
oups.com...
Houston's Gecko line already has a fusible line of glass. Not 90 or 96
but fusible anyway.

Old May 19th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Armstrong glass has been made in chine for 3 years or maybe more!!!

wrote:
If the Chinese can operate a space program, develop sophisticated
nuclear technology, and create advanced robotic production systems,
it's safe to assume they can make decent coloured glass. You should
expect to see a consistent increase in imports of art glass from China.
The price difference is too great to ignore. The latest containerload
prices I checked were just under $1./sf US for ring mottle and .55
cents/sf for cathedral. I'm anxious to see if the Chinese factories
start producing fuse compatible glass - and expect when they do, it'll
be COE 96 to fit with the Spectrum/Uroboros line of Systems 96.

Help from the US glass people, please? Su/Cutworks Beads 21 October 7th 04 10:14 PM
Soldering jump rings with glass Robin Jewelry 9 September 9th 04 04:41 AM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM