6x6 square exch,,,longish.

Old January 10th 04, 06:24 PM
Cher

Default 6x6 square exch,,,longish.

Hi all,

Right lets get a few things straight. First of all I started the six by
six square exchange back at the end of August. It was done as there was a
particular slump in the mails at the time, regarding knitting and
communicating with each other, especially where we could have been talking
about things together.

When it first took off, I had to repeatedly email the group, to explain it
all, and keep repeating as more and more new members joined the rcty. So
the subject was often onboard infact all the time.

Whilst it was in it's infant stages I needed to make sure that new comers to
the rcty group understood what it all entailed.

I also quite understand how the subject line would be confusing for those
who have never heard of it before, and we must therefore think of a new
name for it, so that if it is onboard, we can see at a glance that it is
topic related. Square Exchange perhaps, I thought of 6x6 because it was
quick and easy to type.... so for this oversight I am sorry.

So it got going, and was met with such enthusiasm, that I couldn't believe
it. However you would never believe the amount of work that goes into just
getting the signups for the month done and the matching up of partners,
then of course there are the inevitable late signups if someone has been
away, or ill or whatever, and the early ones... those that write to you
privately to be included in the next months .. and those that want more than
one exchange... Sometimes these extra posts come to us with different email
addy's or names from the ones used on the rcty and we don't realise we have
one person doing both of the sends.. Not complaining at all, just trying to
make you all understand. it is such a little task to do the squares, but a
mammoth job to sort it out each month.. especially in a couple of days.

As the project grew, I knew I would have to take on an admin team, to help
me out, thus Nora and Noreen, called C.N.N. meaning Cher Noreen and
Nora.. or which ever way round. I thought it was fairer also to ask others
on the rcty group to help chose partners, not just me. So hence the
management team. Remember back in November I went to London for a few days,
and so Nora watched over the list for me.

Then it started happening, first of all, I started getting hate mails, to
my private box, none of them had a name or an email I recognised, although
from various searches, I now know who some of them belonged to.. so if you
are reading this, remember, I am nobody's fool, I know who you are!

As well as this, there were moans about the squares, or that this wasn't
right, or that wasn't done. Well....it isn't meant to be .. this is meant
to be a fun project. What the heck, if one of the squares you receive is a
slightly different shade of black, than you wanted.....so you wanted a
reddish black and have gotten a blueish black... oh come on, life is too
short to take this so seriously.

After that Noreen confessed to me about the hate mails she'd gotten mainly
about using the rcty to run this.....B..U..T.... this IS an R.C.T.Y.
project, it is ON topic, even though I have to admit to the mistake of the
subject line, maybe throwing people off and thinking it isn't on topic.

Noreen then got the group formed, first of all for admin purposes, but
after all the complaints we'd had between us about doing the signups on the
list, we decided to move it off the list...for a couple months, to see if
this would work, and I have to say here, that this wasn't just Noreens
idea, I had first of all asked her if we should move it off the list, and
her reply to me was, that she was worried as to the reaction of you all,
being as other things had been tried off of the rcty list, and failed
because of it. BUT because we have a few, who object strongly to the rcty
being used to run a knitted or crocheted square swap, she started up the
extra group for you all to sign up to. We Know some of you don't agree, and
to be honest none of the CNN team are fully supportive of it
either...strange as this may seem to you all. Maybe we have done it wrong,
and we should have put it to the vote of you all first... but before we can
move it back to the rcty, we have to give this way a try.. for the sake of
losing a few members on the rcty who object to it, even though I have to
say, they don't join in the 6x6 anyway.

At the end of the day I have to back the management team, they are there to
make life easier for me, at least they were to start with, now I believe
it to be more fun, to have three of us working it, especially if one of us
were to be called off the computor for a while, a crash, a family problem,
or ill health.

Noreen has done an excellent job, and as she keeps saying, this is just to
test it to see if it could work off the rcty...if it doesn't, we'll revert
back. It will be governed by the majority.
I don't think anyone should be upsetting Noreen with this. She has done
what she thought was needed, if it isn't, then we will simply put it back
as it was...please be nice to her....!!!!

This coming signups will be led by Nora, it's her turn next, then I will do
March signups.. those that do not wish to sign up to the group, will still
be able to signup by getting hold of Nora or Noreen or myself.

At the end of the day, it is me you should all be moaning at...not Noreen
who is only doing her job by trying to please everyone....an impossibility
of course..but I don't want her downing tools just because of this.

In the meantime...enjoy the exchange, and if there is anything else I've not
thought of, please email me..
cher49 at blueyonder dot co dot uk

thanx.....Cher

---

Old January 10th 04, 06:43 PM
Sorceress

Cher opined thusly:

BUT because we have a few, who object strongly to the rcty
being used to run a knitted or crocheted square swap, she started up the
extra group for you all to sign up to.

Would you please re-publish the list-serv name again?

--
Regards
--Anne

Blogging to be found at http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail
Old January 10th 04, 06:53 PM
Cher

http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/rcty-sixbysix

Sorceress wrote in message
gy.com...
Cher opined thusly:

BUT because we have a few, who object strongly to the rcty
being used to run a knitted or crocheted square swap, she started up

the
extra group for you all to sign up to.

Would you please re-publish the list-serv name again?

--
Regards
--Anne

Blogging to be found at http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old January 10th 04, 06:54 PM
Katherine

Cher wrote:
snip
Excellent explanation, Cher. As for me, I will sign up wherever you want me
to. I don't mind signing up here, and I don't mind signing up there. I will
just do it. ANd I am really glad that you guys (CNN) are continuing it.
Katherine

Old January 10th 04, 06:55 PM
Anna MCM

Cher wrote:

Hi all,
=20
Right lets get a few things straight. First of all I started the six =

by
six square exchange back at the end of August. It was done as there wa=

s a
particular slump in the mails at the time, regarding knitting and
communicating with each other, especially where we could have been talk=

ing
about things together.
=20

I would like to add a couple of words...
I don=B4t take part to this exchange for a very personal reason not=20
related to the group but I don=B4t have anything against that.
I wish all the people taking part to it all the best with this project.
I have to admit that sometimes I got a bit bored about it, but since I=20
retain myself a adult person, I could easily bear with that :-)
I think that people sending hate messages should get a life as soon as=20
possible.
Anyway, my suggestion is to put a clear tag in front of the messages=20
regarding this exchange. Just a 6x6 is not enough, since it could regard =

just a pattern or something else.
Moreover,6x6 can be written in different ways, so the browser filters=20
can=B4t work.
A clear tag could be [6x6 EXCH], so it could be inserted in message=20
filters by the people not wanting to download this kind of posts.
Just my two cents...

Anna Maria

Old January 10th 04, 06:56 PM
Cher

Thankyou Anna Marie...noted...cheers....Cher

Anna MCM wrote in message

Cher wrote:

Hi all,

Right lets get a few things straight. First of all I started the six by
six square exchange back at the end of August. It was done as there was a
particular slump in the mails at the time, regarding knitting and
communicating with each other, especially where we could have been talking
about things together.

I would like to add a couple of words...
I donīt take part to this exchange for a very personal reason not
related to the group but I donīt have anything against that.
I wish all the people taking part to it all the best with this project.
I have to admit that sometimes I got a bit bored about it, but since I
retain myself a adult person, I could easily bear with that :-)
I think that people sending hate messages should get a life as soon as
possible.
Anyway, my suggestion is to put a clear tag in front of the messages
regarding this exchange. Just a 6x6 is not enough, since it could regard
just a pattern or something else.
Moreover,6x6 can be written in different ways, so the browser filters
canīt work.

Old January 10th 04, 06:57 PM
Cher

Well no worries there Katherine, I am pretty thick skinned and will
continue it regardless, even on here if I have to..

cheers....Cher

Old January 10th 04, 08:10 PM
Artchick

It often surprises me how people get so wrapped up in something like this
that ought to be fun and enjoyable. I'm sorry you've had such a hard time
with it all. This February will be my first exchange (new to the group, you
know), and while I personally would rather see the messages on the newsgroup
just because of my own laziness (one less place to visit), it's not a big
deal - I'll still do it and enjoy it, I'm looking forward to collecting
enough squares from new friends to make a nice throw for myself, and hope
folks like the ones I make for them too. What makes me saddest about this
is that most of the newsgroups I used to read, I left because of all the
fighting between members - newsgroups seem to bring out the worst in people.
This is one of the friendliest groups I've ever seen, and it's a shame to
hear of such anger and nastiness going on.

Carrie

Old January 10th 04, 10:05 PM
Liz

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:10:59 GMT, Artchick wrote:

This is one of the friendliest groups I've ever seen, and it's a shame to
hear of such anger and nastiness going on.

Carrie

Well said, Carrie! Whatever happens, there is no excuse for being
nasty to someone who is trying, against the odds, to organise an
exchange for the benefit of the group. My sympathy to the CNN team
for the hassle they have experienced. For personal reasons, I have
not joined the exchange, but I have no objection to it being here.
(And I am very grateful to the kind people who published stitch
patterns - most enjoyable to try them out.)
--
Liz Hanson
Old January 10th 04, 10:08 PM
Spike Driver

Cher,

Please read my response to Noreen. I wish I had not said anything. I feel
the same as the last ladies. Get a life!!, please. As I said in my first
response I will go with the group. I just stated my preference and what a
bees nest I dropped. I did not know smartgroups had better spam control. I
have left groups with microsoft and yahoo because of the spam and pop-up.
These were groups I used in the computer field.

Noreen, I am really sorry and sincerely appolloigize for all this fuss my
statement arroused. This discussion in not worth losing a real friend over.
I did not mean to harm any one. But one thing I have found out in the
newsgroups, if you manage anything in the group you will always have
comments from cruel hatefull people. Please do not let it bother you or
cause you to leave the group.

Hugs,