OT My Aunt

Old May 11th 05, 03:15 PM
Matthew Hollands

Default OT My Aunt

My Aunt Blanche (my mom's older and only sister) passed away last night.
:'o( She was 92 years old and had been in the hospital for a while. She
had cancer in her leg, and then recently broke her hip due to the cancer so
had to have surgery. She was in and out of a coma for over a week, but
finally came completely out of the coma last Friday. Her grandson stopped
in to see her after work and when he saw that she was awake and alert told
her he was going to call his mom... she whispered "okay". When my cousin
went in to see her she told her that she loved her and my aunt responded "I
love you too!" - slurred. Linda (my cousin) told me when they went to see
her on Mother's Day, Aunt Blanche slurring very badly and didn't recognize
anyone... she figures that her mom had a second stroke that made her like
this.

My cousin and I spoke for a while on the phone last night and she's handling
it okay (for now... she hasn't allowed herself to break yet). She said that
she thinks it was a blessing that her mom passed away even though she loves
her and will miss her very much (she was an only child, and she only has the
one child as well so they were all very close), because Aunt Blanche would
have hated to be in that state where she couldn't speak at all or recognize
her loved ones. Linda is taking comfort in the knowledge that Aunt Blanche
is now with her husband who passed away years ago, with my Mom who Aunt
Blanche adored, and with my Dad who Aunt Blanche thought the world of.

Linda's son (22) is really taking it hard and was locked up in his room
while we were on the phone last night. I know when my Dad passed away,
Matthew was only 12 and he was devastated... he reacted in anger (throwing a
couple of his things in his room) and he cried too. When my Mom passed
away, Matthew was 20 and held it all inside for days being a total rock for
me... then suddenly one day he just broke down completely and didn't seem
like he could stop crying at all. I told Linda this and to expect the same
thing from Liam in a few days.

In any case... I had been puttering away, from time to time, at the afghan
that I had on the go for Aunt Blanche, and am only about three rounds away
from finishing it. I think I'll finish it and get it to Linda and Liam as a
comfortghan for them in her memory. Wish I could crochet faster right now,
but I will do a round this afternoon and then rest my arms and hands before
doing another round tonight. If my hands and arms hold up I may be able to
have it finished by Friday at the latest.

Please say a prayer (or pass along good vibes) for my Aunt Blanche on her
journey, and for my cousin Linda and her son Liam in their loss.

Peace!
Gemini

Old May 11th 05, 04:20 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Consider it DONE, Gem, and prayers-vibes for YOU as well, sometimes
our Aunt's are 'second-moms'... and we feel it just like their kids,
our cousins....
BIG GIANT HUG,
Noreen
back into cyberspace

Old May 11th 05, 04:37 PM

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
[...]

Hi Gemini,

I wish I lived closer, I would come right over and finish the afghan
edge for you. Yes, my prayers are going out to you and the family. I
know how the Liam feels, as I lost my uncle when he was only 40 and his
son, my cousin was 12 and his sister 8. It was a shock to him as he and
his father were very close.

Hugs,

Nora

Old May 11th 05, 04:48 PM
Matthew Hollands

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Consider it DONE, Gem, and prayers-vibes for YOU as well, sometimes
our Aunt's are 'second-moms'... and we feel it just like their kids,
our cousins....
BIG GIANT HUG,
Noreen
back into cyberspace

Thank you, Noreen! Actually it is pretty hard on me as Aunt Blanche was my
favorite aunt, and she told me many times that I was her favorite niece!
She was such a sweet lady and I felt so bad that I couldn't make it to
Toronto to see her at all since my mom passed away.... and that I hadn't
gotten her afghan finished for her to use. It seemed like I took it harder
than my cousin last night, but that is likely because I didn't actually
*see* Aunt Blanche any other way than when she was healthy enough to come
visit... playing cards and joking around with us... so I didn't see how weak
and frail she had become. Linda told me she was glad that I hadn't seen
Aunt Blanche like that and that I should just remember her the way she had
been when I saw her last.

Apparently she wrote me a note a couple of months ago (Linda hadn't managed
to get it off to me, but said that she would) saying that she loved me.
Linda said she could barely hold the pen but wanted to write me a note.
:'o)

Last night when I closed my eyes to pray before going to sleep, I could see
Aunt Blanche, my Mom, and my Dad near each other and smiling. I know it was
likely my imagination, but it made me feel good to think they are happy
together and watching over us all.

Gem

Old May 11th 05, 05:01 PM
Laura J

[...]

Oh Gem, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. My thoughts will be with you
and the rest of the family. I am sure you will treasure that letter when it
arrives.

Big hugs to you,
LauraJ

Old May 11th 05, 05:02 PM
Matthew Hollands

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Gemini,

I wish I lived closer, I would come right over and finish the afghan
edge for you. Yes, my prayers are going out to you and the family. I
know how the Liam feels, as I lost my uncle when he was only 40 and his
son, my cousin was 12 and his sister 8. It was a shock to him as he and
his father were very close.

Thank you, Nora! Yes Liam is devastated... his mom and grandmother are the
only family he has ever had (aside from second cousins who he never saw much
of), as his father totally abandoned he and his mother.

Matthew says our lives seem to be parallel with theirs... "Everything that
happens to us, happens to them!" My cousin Linda and I are 8 months apart
in age, so are Matthew and Liam. Both "fathers" (I use the term very
loosely) abandoned us and the kids when they were babies. Both of our
mothers/grandmothers (sisters) had strokes. Both sets of families have had
terrible employment/health/money problems. Linda and I consider ourselves
to be sister/cousins. I always thought of Aunt Blanche as a second mother,
and Linda always thought of my parents (her father passed away when she was
very little) as her second parents.

Gem

Old May 11th 05, 05:08 PM
Matthew Hollands

"Laura J" wrote in message news:0%pge.548$Ld4.373@trndny04...

Oh Gem, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. My thoughts will be with
you and the rest of the family. I am sure you will treasure that letter
when it arrives.

Thank you, Laura! Yes, I really will treasure that letter. Linda told me
last night that my sister had brought Aunt Blanche a writing pad and she
said "You know the cardboard part that holds it altogether? Well, that's
what Mom wrote the note on for you!" We had a chuckle about that because it
was so cute... but it will always be special to me!

Gem

Old May 11th 05, 06:13 PM
norma woods

Gem, I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt. I know you must have wonderful
memories of her. You cousin and her son will love the comfortghan, whenev4r
you finish it. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

--
Star love,
Norma

Old May 11th 05, 06:21 PM
Donna in Philly

Hi Gemini! I'm sending good vibes for you and your Aunt Blanche and for
Linda and Liam! My heartfelt condolences to you....

Hugs and a Smile,
Donna in Philly

--
"Anticipate the good so that you may enjoy it." (Ethiopian Proverb)

Old May 11th 05, 06:30 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I am so sorry Ruth
may you have Good memories only .