Sewing Machine for quilting? What to buy?

Old January 4th 05, 06:17 PM
FaXiA

Default Sewing Machine for quilting? What to buy?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a sewing machine for quilting for my wife.

Any suggestions on models at sears/joann fabrics in the 150-300$ range?

Thanks

BTW sorry about the previous empty post.

Old January 4th 05, 06:25 PM
Pat in Virginia

Faxia:
When buying a car, it is best to test drive it first.
Same applies to sewing machines. Find a few in the
price range, then invite your wife to try them. She
should supply her own practice materials and thread to
determine if the SM works to her needs. Now, as to your
price range, I suggest you try a reliable SM dealer and
ask for a previously used SM in the price range and
category you require. Oftentimes a used SM will be a
better value than the lower priced new SM. Don't forget
to ask if the local quilt store sells SM! BTW: I LOVE
Pfaff!
PAT in VA/USA

Old January 4th 05, 06:28 PM
georg

FaXiA wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a sewing machine for quilting for my wife.

Stop right there. Involve her. Picking her sewing machine is more
personal than picking her underwear! Get her involved. Find out what
things she needs on her sewing machine- what features she must have.

And at that price range, you want to find out what's used but still
good, and available in your area, or on the net.

-georg
Old January 4th 05, 06:34 PM
Chuck and Kim

The most favorite features I love about my SM is that it has a knob/button
that allows the needle to stop in the down position (very important when
quilting), and I can buy an extra attachment called a "walking" pressure
foot. Several models offer these but you have to look for them. You, dear
man, are going to have a HAPPY wife in the very near future! Kimela

lkaboutcrafting.com...

Old January 4th 05, 08:25 PM
Irene Scott

FaXiA wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a sewing machine for quilting for my wife.

Any suggestions on models at sears/joann fabrics in the 150-300$ range?

Thanks

BTW sorry about the previous empty post.

Your wife HAS to be involved in this decision. Would you want her to
buy you a complicated power tool without your input? She 'll be
spending a lot of time with it. She needs to try them, decide which
features she wants, etc.

For that $$, do consider a good, used machine.....you'll get more bang
for your buck. Better to get a used top of the line model than a new
'plastic wonder' that will cause more headaches than it's worth (ask me
how I know this).

Good luck!! And, when she's ready to start, ask her to visit us here at
RCTQ !!

-Irene
Old January 6th 05, 09:03 AM
Roberta Zollner

For that price, you'd probably be better off getting a used pre-1965 Singer.
They make the most beautiful straight stitch for piecing, and they are heavy
enough to handle machine quilting. Please read the FAQs on sewing machines,
which are probably viewable today!
Roberta in D