Who else had a Christmas disaster??! :-)

Old December 26th 03, 08:54 PM
JBQUILTOK

I just could
not find it. Anywhere.

Xmas was quiet with just me & DBahHumbugH. So I set up my big basting frame,
prepared to basted my nephew's Graduation quilt. Then I couldn't find the
batting for it! I knew I bought it. It was supposed to be in the fabric
closet. No luck! This morning I looked once more before adding the quilt shop
to my list of morning errands. There it was - right where it belonged. I
swear sometimes DH figures out what I'll want next, hides it & then after I
give up in frustration, puts it back where it belongs! LOL

Janet

Old December 26th 03, 09:15 PM
Kate Dicey

"Linda D." wrote:

I just have to share my Christmas Day 'almost disaster' with
you. We just got new carpeting installed in our home this past
October. I had been wating 18 yrs. to be able to afford it Well,
this year it was our turn to host Christmas dinner. We had put out
veggies and dip, when I was in the kitchen my 19 yr. old suddenly
appears and says, "Mom, something has been spilled on the carpet!" I
say, "Okay, I'l get the paper towels to blot it up." I walk into the
living room to discover my brother had spilled dip then tried to wipe
it up with the red paper cocktail napkins I had put out. The red dye
had gone all over the carpet in a big streak! I must have turned
white and immediately went into action. I blotted, then got warm
water to blot it, then blotted some more. Most of it came out, but a
bit of pink remained. My brother drove to his house (2 min. away) got
their Chem Dry stain remover, and I used that. Thank goodness the dye
came out! He left the Chem Dry with me in case the stain reappeared
in the morning, luckily it didn't resurface. I was so upset, but I
managed to control myself. I know my brother didn't do it on purpose
and he felt sick about it, and accidents happen...but I was still
upset.

Needless to say....there will never be another coloured napkin
in this household ever again!

take care, Linda

Ooer! Mind you, proper house content insurance should cover it if the
stain doesn't lift out.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 26th 03, 10:32 PM
Linda D.

Indeed, our house insurance would cover the carpet 'after' we
paid the $500 deductible. Plus, the carpet was only just installed
the first week of October. We do not & did not want to go through the
same chaos we went through then having to move all the furniture, etc.

Ah well, all is fine, the stain came out and what is done, is
done Thank goodness for stain resistant carpet ))

take care, Linda

"Linda D." wrote:

[...]

Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old December 27th 03, 12:29 AM
Butterfly

This is too funny.... found the Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe that MIL made
for years-----says 9" square pan----should be 9" X 13"! took an extra 30
minutes to bake but it sure was pretty and quite good. Funny, as we both
ran into
the 'same problem making the same kind of recipe ; ) (Can't put cinnamon in
it but NO-ONE complained. Next time, I will add an extra 1/2" tsp of vanilla
to give it a tad bit more flavor (can't add the almond as DD can't tolerate
nuts very well)

Butterfly

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
IMS wrote:
Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?

Not exactly.
DBF wrote down the directions for his favorite sourcream coffee cake
that his mom used to make.
He didn't write down the size pan to use.
I looked at the amount of batter and decided 8 x 8.
Should have been 9 x 13
Oh well, the cake took about an hour to cook but it was still tasty!

liz young in cloudy california

Old December 27th 03, 03:22 AM
Polly Esther

Just wondering, Butterfly. Is there any chance that almond flavoring has
never been in the same county as a real almond? It might be ok. Polly

Old December 27th 03, 04:26 AM
MB

AS I sat in church C.ms eve...I got to thinking of the jello suppposely
gelling in the fridge...
and realized that the recipe said 6 oz jello and I'd only used one small
box...which had to
be 3 oz. When i got back from church I strained some of the juices from
the jello which
also had orange juice. lemon juice, whole cranberry gel , walnuts and celery
in it. Brought
those juices to a boil and added another box of jello---right away mixed it
with the
chilled ingredients....and was so happy to see it in the morning all nice
and firm...I almost
danced on it.... ! Mary..

2. Then I decided to make a simple red hot cinnamon/applesauce jello to
have with a quiche on Christmas eve. I like Cherry jello with it so I
bought some at the grocery store only to get home and find it was
raspberry...yuck. So I rather than going back, I had some strawberry that

thought would be a better substitute. I boiled the water, dissolved the

red
hots, stirred in the applesauce and carefully carried it to the basement
refrigerator. When I got back to the kitchen, I wondered why there was a
full box of jello sitting on the counter! Sh-t! So I boiled some more
water and added the box of jello plus part of another one to make sure it
jelled.

Old December 27th 03, 12:40 PM
Kate Dicey

Butterfly wrote:

This is too funny.... found the Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe that MIL made
for years-----says 9" square pan----should be 9" X 13"! took an extra 30
minutes to bake but it sure was pretty and quite good. Funny, as we both
ran into
the 'same problem making the same kind of recipe ; ) (Can't put cinnamon in
it but NO-ONE complained. Next time, I will add an extra 1/2" tsp of vanilla
to give it a tad bit more flavor (can't add the almond as DD can't tolerate
nuts very well)

Butterfly

Sounds like my Chocolate Christmas Cake recipe: the original directions
say it fills a 10" ring tin... It would fill a 10" solid square
generously! I usually get 2 6" and two 7" rounds out of it!

Old December 27th 03, 04:22 PM
NightMist

OW!
I hate when I do myself a damage right at the beginning of something!

Fortunately I had a fairly disaster free holiday.

Upstairs neighbors went out early in the day, a hour or so later, I
noticed a piercing whoop-whoop sound coming from their apartment.
My first thought was, please tell me that is not their smoke alarm.
Rang up the landlord, who dashed over and let himself in to see. He
came down, thanked us profusely for calling him and told us it was
just an alarm clock that they had neglected to shut off.
Later after they came home, their littlest one wandered down because
he could smell the cinnamon from the candy apples DD#3 and I were
making. So I sent him back up with a bunch of goodies (including
enough candy apples for all the kids). Apparently somebody who can
make candy apples in their very own kitchen is Like Unto a God, the
muchkins now hold me in a great degree of awe.

DD#2 wore a Santa hat at work that morning and told her residents that
she had swapped her Yankees baseball cap to Santa for it. She is
being held in likewise awe. She also let me know that they thought
that gingerbread made with Splenda was just spiffy, only they were
afraid to eat their house because it was pretty. (The castle mutated
into a Victorian manor).

The second present Ash opened was the box of crayons and a butt end
from the newspaper that I had gotten him. So far as he was concerned,
the rest of the presents were completely irrelevent.

I got a centerpiece (made of pinecones, a candle, a paper plate and
lots and lots of glitter), some picture books (Frida Kahlo and
Salvador Dali), some cookies, a sticker book, a pretty braclet, a
liter of tequila and four margarita glasses, and a $25 gift card to
JoAnn's.

The boodle was good, everyone was jolly, and DH made the lasagna
noodles this year. Even my morbid friend was in a good mood after I
let her look at my picture books. Of course I also made her her very
own pudding to take home, and that brightened her up something
considerable.

NightMist
dashing off to see if there are Clover clamps on the Joann's website.

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:22:34 GMT, IMS wrote:

Got up this morning at 7:30 to get the bird prepped and in the oven.
Now, I don't know about any of you but I am absolutely in a daze first
thing in the AM, a real walking zombie. Well to make a long story
short, in my attempt to get some coffee made and also get the bird in
the oven, I sustained a major burn on my right palm. Ouch!! Talk about
throwing a wrench into dinner preparations. And, to top it off, the
roasting pan I put the turkey in ended up being too shallow and about an
hour before dinner smoke filled the house as the drippings overflowed
onto the oven floor! Thank goodness this is a new stove and I suppose I
should be positive and look at it from the perspective of now being able
to test the self clean feature. And, you know, it's really hard to
carve a turkey left handed when you're right handed...I'm so glad I
remembered the electric knife.=20

Thank goodness for all the help from the DH and DS and my other dinner
guests who pitched in to help the cripple....dinner was actually a
success.

Anyway to get back on topic, I just finished loading up one of my
Christmas gifts, EQ5 onto my computer! What a nifty program!! Guess
I'll work up some projects for the remainder of the evening because I
certainly won't be able to sew for a few days.

Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?
------------------------
"Old quilters never die, they just go to pieces."

--

My karma ran over my dogma
Old December 27th 03, 06:12 PM
Elizabeth Young

Yeah,
I wrote it down.
I am not a confident cook, so I always make lots of annotations on any
recipe I make. Helps avert disaster the next time around.

liz young in sunny california