Who else had a Christmas disaster??! :-)

Old December 26th 03, 12:57 PM
Jan Dunaway

I burned the $%** out of my left hand (repeat after me... TWO oven
mitts.. one for EACH hand), but Hubby felt so bad he cleaned up the mess
and fed the child.... nope that doesn't sound like a disaster to me! ;-)

Jan

Old December 26th 03, 01:34 PM
Roberta Zollner

Sounds more like the mother of severe intestinal trouble!
Roberta in D

"hfw" wrote in message
news
Now there's a perfect example of necessity being the mother of invention!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
news
Do near disasters count??? As I was preparing to cook my first ever
WHOLE turkey, I realized that I had nothing that it would fit into for
cooking!!! Of course, I thought that i had seen some of the grocery
stores would be opening late...nope, I thought wrong. So....before I
could start on a crying jag, DH started suggesting all different things.

We ended up lining the pizza pan with foil and cooking the turkey on
that...you know what?? It worked!!! DH said he had never had turkey so
moist...guess we will have to file this one away for future reference!

Larisa

"IMS" wrote in message
Got up this morning at 7:30 to get the bird prepped and in the oven.
Now, I don't know about any of you but I am absolutely in a daze first
thing in the AM, a real walking zombie. Well to make a long story
short, in my attempt to get some coffee made and also get the bird in
the oven, I sustained a major burn on my right palm. Ouch!! Talk

about
throwing a wrench into dinner preparations. And, to top it off, the
roasting pan I put the turkey in ended up being too shallow and about

an
hour before dinner smoke filled the house as the drippings overflowed
onto the oven floor! Thank goodness this is a new stove and I suppose

should be positive and look at it from the perspective of now being

able
to test the self clean feature. And, you know, it's really hard to
carve a turkey left handed when you're right handed...I'm so glad I
remembered the electric knife.

Thank goodness for all the help from the DH and DS and my other dinner
guests who pitched in to help the cripple....dinner was actually a
success.

Anyway to get back on topic, I just finished loading up one of my
Christmas gifts, EQ5 onto my computer! What a nifty program!! Guess
I'll work up some projects for the remainder of the evening because I
certainly won't be able to sew for a few days.

Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?
------------------------
"Old quilters never die, they just go to pieces."

Old December 26th 03, 01:38 PM
Roberta Zollner

Ouch! Poor you!
No real disasters here, except the DDs went out for a jog. Took a spare
house key along. When they stuck it in the lock, the lock siezed up,
wouldn't turn, wouldn't let go of the key. We were indoors to let them in,
fortunately, so nobody had to freeze. DH called the emergency locksmith, who
came and wreaked his magic on the lock. It works again, but the fee was
painful! BTW, are all of you spritzing graphite powder into your locks every
6 months??
Roberta in D

"IMS" wrote in message
Got up this morning at 7:30 to get the bird prepped and in the oven.
Now, I don't know about any of you but I am absolutely in a daze first
thing in the AM, a real walking zombie. Well to make a long story
short, in my attempt to get some coffee made and also get the bird in
the oven, I sustained a major burn on my right palm. Ouch!! Talk about
throwing a wrench into dinner preparations. And, to top it off, the
roasting pan I put the turkey in ended up being too shallow and about an
hour before dinner smoke filled the house as the drippings overflowed
onto the oven floor! Thank goodness this is a new stove and I suppose I

Old December 26th 03, 02:58 PM
Polly Esther

Well, actually, I did have an old, old cake pan the right size, and I double
lined it with heavy foil. I rather expected the cake to burn or sog but it
turned out just right. I'll just follow DH's example and replace my cake
pan. I think this is called the line of least resistance. Polly

Old December 26th 03, 04:53 PM
Elizabeth Young

IMS wrote:
Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?

Not exactly.
DBF wrote down the directions for his favorite sourcream coffee cake
that his mom used to make.
He didn't write down the size pan to use.
I looked at the amount of batter and decided 8 x 8.
Should have been 9 x 13
Oh well, the cake took about an hour to cook but it was still tasty!

liz young in cloudy california
Old December 26th 03, 05:46 PM
CNYstitcher

Now why, praytell, would you say that?? It's better than a "turducken"
that dear friends had for dinner....just sounds too strange for me to
even THINK about trying!!!

Larisa

for those who don't know, it's a deboned chicken stuffed into a deboned
duck, which is then stuffed into a deboned turkey and cooked. I was
told that total PREP time takes 4 hours!!!

"hfw" wrote in message
news
Now there's a perfect example of necessity being the mother of invention!

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"CNYstitcher" wrote in message
news
Do near disasters count??? As I was preparing to cook my first ever
WHOLE turkey, I realized that I had nothing that it would fit into for
cooking!!! Of course, I thought that i had seen some of the grocery
stores would be opening late...nope, I thought wrong. So....before I
could start on a crying jag, DH started suggesting all different things.

We ended up lining the pizza pan with foil and cooking the turkey on
that...you know what?? It worked!!! DH said he had never had turkey so
moist...guess we will have to file this one away for future reference!

Larisa

m...

Old December 26th 03, 06:29 PM
Linda D.

I just have to share my Christmas Day 'almost disaster' with
you. We just got new carpeting installed in our home this past
October. I had been wating 18 yrs. to be able to afford it Well,
this year it was our turn to host Christmas dinner. We had put out
veggies and dip, when I was in the kitchen my 19 yr. old suddenly
appears and says, "Mom, something has been spilled on the carpet!" I
say, "Okay, I'l get the paper towels to blot it up." I walk into the
living room to discover my brother had spilled dip then tried to wipe
it up with the red paper cocktail napkins I had put out. The red dye
had gone all over the carpet in a big streak! I must have turned
white and immediately went into action. I blotted, then got warm
water to blot it, then blotted some more. Most of it came out, but a
bit of pink remained. My brother drove to his house (2 min. away) got
their Chem Dry stain remover, and I used that. Thank goodness the dye
came out! He left the Chem Dry with me in case the stain reappeared
in the morning, luckily it didn't resurface. I was so upset, but I
managed to control myself. I know my brother didn't do it on purpose
and he felt sick about it, and accidents happen...but I was still
upset.

Needless to say....there will never be another coloured napkin
in this household ever again!

take care, Linda

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:22:34 GMT, IMS wrote:
snipped
Anyone else have a Christmas day disaster?
------------------------
"Old quilters never die, they just go to pieces."

Vancouver Island, bc.ca (remove 'nospam' to reply)
See samples of my work at: www.members.shaw.ca/deugau

Old December 26th 03, 06:52 PM
Taria

Glad your carpet is ok. I took Chem dry to my brother's house
for a party years ago when he had new carpet. It is good to have
around. Colored paper goods and red punch are 2 things
we don't do!
Taria, wish I had new carpet to worry over!

Old December 26th 03, 07:58 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

What! You don't have a kitty litter pan? No drip pan from a pickup truck?
How do you young people survive? Polly

You mustn't say things like that - my stitches hurt!

My parents were once given a 24 lb turkey instead of the 10 lb one they
ordered from the farmer because the silly bird had half strangled itself
on the wire netting, and had a big bruise on its neck... Tasted good,
but couldn't be sold. They had to prop it up on its pope's nose and
drumsticks, with the roasting tin on the bottom of the oven, to cook it
as it was so big! There was only the two of them and 3 small kids (all
under 4, as bro was a baby at the time!), and we didn't have a freezer
in those days...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 26th 03, 08:23 PM
KJ

I have had a week of major brain farts. I must be getting into the
peri-menopausal brain fade stage. Most of it had to do with cooking.
1. I put baking soda instead of powder (or vice versa) in a cookie recipe,
and decided not to even try to see how it worked out...so I tossed it.
2. Then I decided to make a simple red hot cinnamon/applesauce jello to
have with a quiche on Christmas eve. I like Cherry jello with it so I
bought some at the grocery store only to get home and find it was
raspberry...yuck. So I rather than going back, I had some strawberry that I
thought would be a better substitute. I boiled the water, dissolved the red
hots, stirred in the applesauce and carefully carried it to the basement
refrigerator. When I got back to the kitchen, I wondered why there was a
full box of jello sitting on the counter! Sh-t! So I boiled some more
water and added the box of jello plus part of another one to make sure it
jelled.
3. I twice forgot to put in the vanilla in two different recipes and had
to stir it in the batter after it was placed in the pan.
4. I had put a stick of butter in a sauce pan and turned it on for a second
so it was start melting while I went to the basement to work on some machine
embroidery. When I came back up the smoke from the burner I DIDN'T turn OFF
was just rolling out of the pan. DH was sitting on the family room couch
and didn't even smell it or notice the view of the TV was getting foggy! DD
came running down from upstairs to see what was burning. So I put it out on
the back porch, turned on the exhaust fan and waited for the smoke alarms to
start tweeting! I'm not sure I was relieved that they didn't activate.
What if there WAS a fire...would they work??
5. I made a batch of Snickerdoodles (whoever named those?) and a batch of
sugar cookies and put them both in the fridge to cool before shaping. Did
you realize they look exactly the same??
6. My brother did all his shopping by mail order catalogue and had them
sent here so I could wrap them. They came addressed to the recipient, so I
didn't open the ones addressed to me in order to save the surprise. Imagine
my surprise when I opened a box that contained a new Snow Village house I
had bought on Ebay a few weeks ago and had been wondering about its arrival.
And these are only the screwups I can remember!